Sponsor Directory

Leaking around steering rod by transom

Leaking around steering rod by transom

Postby Bgraybea » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:41 pm

So like the subject says i gotta leak. It's dripping pretty steady from around the steering shaft going out to the bucket. Called kodiak and new bushings are only a few bucks. However apparently i have to pull the engine to get the shaft out. And a regular cherry picker won't work. Anyone here know what they doing and have a boat engine crane? If so im willing to pay for time if you are willing to teach me a few things on maintenance and upkeep and let me help. Ill also look into buying a crane of my own that will handle it. He'll I'd be willing to rent something if someone will show me how to not mess up my boat.
Bgraybea
Deck Swab

Re: Leaking around steering rod by transom

Postby Ahusk » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:23 pm

Send me a text. We can work something out. It's easy to get a boat motor out. It will be a month or more before I have time however.
Ahusk
First Mate

Postby riverboater » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:53 pm

Don't need to pull the engine, tear the pump down as if you are going after the blades, once you have both stators off the next part is the transom ring that the rods and bushings are in. Depending on what sealant the transom seal has on it there should be no issue getting it off. It will slide off the tie bolt studs just the same as the stators.
riverboater
Captain

Postby Ahusk » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:34 am

Man that is an obvious solution that I didn't think of. Nice call.
Ahusk
First Mate

Postby Bgraybea » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:03 pm

Thanks for all the replies! The tearing pump down tip is pretty much what i came up with too. Should have it fixed very soon
Bgraybea
Deck Swab

Return to Oregon