Sponsor Directory

24' St Clair Sheriff Rescue/dive open boat

Moderator: Maxrat

Re: 24' St Clair Sheriff Rescue/dive open boat

Postby Penguin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:14 pm

Great build and pics. I’m curious about the Yanmar, transmission, driveshaft, pump setup. Can you post a pic of how it all links up? Does the transmission direct couple to the pump or is there a driveshaft?
Penguin
Deck Swab

Postby Maxrat » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:46 am

Penguin wrote:Great build and pics. I’m curious about the Yanmar, transmission, driveshaft, pump setup. Can you post a pic of how it all links up? Does the transmission direct couple to the pump or is there a driveshaft?

Hello Penquin, I attached a couple pics. The transmission is directly coupled to the engine and the shift solenoids are integrated into the Yanmar shift controller. The driveline is hooked between the transmission and jet drive.

Remember the transmission does not make the boat go in reverse, that is still done through the jet. Reversing the transmission is only for back-flushing the jet and gives the boat a true neutral when the transmission is in neutral. If you hook up a transmission you need a raw water pump on the engine and bring water in from the bottom of the boat. Cooling water off the jet will no be longer be used because with the transmission in neutral the jet isn't turning and you need cooling water for the engine and exhaust hose.

I also programmed the transmission with a delay so someone can't slam the transmission in reverse with the controller. The parameters are set to where the engine has to be below 900 rpm and then there is a 4.5 second delay before it can shift into reverse.

Maxrat
Forum Page Sponsor

Postby Penguin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:33 pm

Tom, thanks for the reply. Couple more questions. Is the transmission effective for matching optimum engine rpm to optimum pump rpm efficiency with a drive ratio other than 1:1, or is low and part throttle pump efficiency compromised by ratios outside of 1:1? I understand reverse direction will always be with the bucket, but does transmission reverse offer sufficient back flow to clear a plugged intake grate? Why so much driveshaft length, is it to get more engine weight forward, or for tricky alignment or to insulate the engine better from potential impacts to the intake area? How much cost does the transmission add? I enjoy your pics and comments
Penguin
Deck Swab

Postby Maxrat » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:41 pm

I took this boat out for sea trails. It was a cold windy day on the Columbia. Now I know why I like a hard top with a heater.

Maxrat
Forum Page Sponsor

Postby Maxrat » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:03 pm

Here is a pic of the 24 with the decals on it. Remember boating safety!!

Maxrat
Forum Page Sponsor

Previous

Return to Precision Weld Custom Jet Boats