Sponsor Directory

27' Atlantic Tuna chaser

Moderator: Maxrat

Re: 27' Atlantic Tuna chaser

Postby FlyLow » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:16 pm

Oh Benny... :roll: no fault being blamed here. I bet you can call Bentz and get a window because they make them a standard size. I don't want to drive around town, I just want to order a new piece of glass.
FlyLow
Novice Baiter

Postby BigCSS » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:33 pm

I haven't broken a window yet but I also had suggested tempered and laminated safety glass, like the windshield on a car, at least 10 years ago, so Flylow isn't the first to do so. But it shouldn't be hard to take your boat to any glass shop and have them cut you a new piece and install it in a quick turn around time. Trying to ship a piece of glass is not something I'd want to do, because no matter how well it was packaged, my luck is it would arrive broken.
Team White Water Winnebago
BigCSS
First Mate

Postby Oakes1 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:59 am

Automotive windshields are not tempered. They are laminated safety glass. As I recall, laminated tempered glass is stupid expensive. Tempered is way more expensive then laminated safety glass. If you take a small rock at speed to tempered it will be in a thousand pieces on the floor, but you can stand on it and it won't break. Laminated will just star with a rock hit, but if you put pressure on it (like huge amounts of water) it breaks and folds up. Very few, if any, spend the extra money to put tempered in the front glass of a boat, but it does make sense that it would be better. You can not just pop into your local glass shop and have some cut. It must be cut, sanded, then tempered. No local glass shop will have the ability to do this. My windshield is automotive safety glass simply because it significantly less expensive and easier to replace if it cracks. It is glued in like an automotive windshield so it stays in place if it breaks. Tempered probably would never break in a "green room" situation. The glass on my roof is tempered in case someone were to step or sit on it. In case of a rock hitting it, I installed an 8mil film on the inside. It is used in residential and commercial structures to keep windows in place if broken. Kind of hard to keep people out if your window is in a pile on the floor. Goes on like tint, but on a windshield it would probably scratch to easily when wiped if dirty. That tempered pieces of glass was $400 (if my memory is correct). If I were to have gotten tempered and laminated, it would have been in the $2500 range (again, memory not all that accurate). Good on precision weld for using tempered glass, but not something that can be easily replaced. Using bolted lexan would be the cheapest, and easiest, replacement for your windshield if you want the strength of tempered. I would never put in a gasket. I think Riddle and I are the only ones who have ever glued lexan in like automotive glass. Pretty tricky to get good adhesions to mr10 lexan, but it can be done. Not sure if riddle was successful with this, as I've only seen one of his boats done this way.
Oakes1
EL Capi'tan

Postby Benny » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:26 am

Oakes 1, good post! That's the kind we can all learn from. Thanks for taking the time to write that. With Lexan there are different grades and coatings I believe. Can get very expensive too.
Benny
Boat Enthusiast

Postby Maxrat » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:51 pm

Some new pics

Maxrat
Forum Page Sponsor

Previous

Return to Precision Weld Custom Jet Boats