Sponsor Directory

Looking for a unique anchor mount

Show your boat builds, updates, paint jobs, etc.

Looking for a unique anchor mount

Postby scenicjetboats » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:30 am

* I changed the topic to make it more appropriate, sorry.

I am looking for an idea out of the box. I removed my river anchor to allow for a bow ladder/loading platform. I need to allow the center of the bow to be open so I can load people straight off the front. It will not allow me to mount my anchor normally on top of the bow. Anyone have any thoughts or pictures of unusual anchor mounting ideas? Thanks
2006 North River Commander X 21.5'
6.0 L Vortec
212 Hamilton
scenicjetboats
Master Baiter

Re: Looking for a unique anchor mount

Postby Kirt » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:01 pm

I just did a sizzor bow ladder, two piece so it did not intrude into my21’ north river bow area. How about putting anchor Off center as you are probably storing it most of the time then cleat it centered. I am not using a bow anchor as I run boat to beach and then tie off stern.
Kirt
Beer Boy

Anchor - Vertical Pocket

Postby Darth T8r » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:31 pm

This solution isn't so much outside the box... as it is redefining the box.

One of our fiberglass boats has a vertical pocket about the size of an old VCR with a hinged door that is flush with the deck when closed.

The anchor hangs vertically inside this pocket - with the ends of the stock lying in brackets on either end of the box. The box is just barely big enough for the anchor to slide in shank first if you lay it flat. The shank lays in the V of the blow - but you could mount a guide to keep it from swinging if the same style of pocket were mounted off center. (You could even mount the box in the gunwale of an open bow.)

The pocket only protrudes maybe 8" into the hull, has an open bottom. The cleat for tying off is actually inside the box, and the only fitting on deck is a small line guide at the center of the bow. This keeps the deck mostly clear.

The anchor line feeds right out of the bottom of the boat - and the lid has a small notch for the line if you want to close the door with the anchor out. Deploying the anchor takes seconds (on that boat, my only concern is not dragging the anchor chain over the gel coat). Feeding line back in to the pocket quickly takes more practice - but a triangular door might be a better option. (Make it small enough that the anchor couldn't accidentally drop into the locker)

In my case - the dive ladder is off to the side, but my live well and anchor locker are both centered on the bow.

I want to build an aluminum version of the same pocket for the next boat. (I like the clean lines of the hidden box). A triangular lid would make it easier to mount a winch under the deck later to use for both anchoring... and those times when I realize I had more enthusiasm than water under the boat. I'd also make a few changes to the dimensions of the box - the cleat would be mounted deeper inside the box so that line tied on the cleat didn't hold the lid open, etc.

I'll be out at the river in a couple days to finish installing the a lift, and I'll make sure to get pics of the anchor locker.

:Worthless:
Darth T8r
Deck Swab

Postby Mountain Thunder » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:14 am

Check out LEELOCK anchor system. Pull one pin on the bow anchor system and its off, then install the ladder with one pin. I had the same dilemma and this solved it. Works awesome.
Mountain Thunder
Deck Swab

Postby Eagle1 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:31 pm

Just buy two boats. LOL

Eagle1
Eagle1
Captain

Postby scenicjetboats » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:18 am

Eagle, Can I get a loan? I thought about that but since I didn't buy a powerball ticket the 1 time someone in Oregon wins well......
Thinking about making a fold up hand deployed anchor that would just sit in the bow. Really the only reason I want an anchor most of the summer is for an emergency and knock on wood have not needed one. I'm thinking about a piece of square tube w/ 4 flat bars hinged at one end with a short piece of tube that slid over the main one and incorporated the flat bars. When closed be about 3" square and 20" long. Slide it open and pin the sliding tube into a grappling hook design. Might work.
2006 North River Commander X 21.5'
6.0 L Vortec
212 Hamilton
scenicjetboats
Master Baiter

Return to Projects