Sponsor Directory

K5 Slipcoat

Show your boat builds, updates, paint jobs, etc.

K5 Slipcoat

Postby AK Explore » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:50 pm

Has anybody applied K5 Slipcoat polyurea from SIP Industries out of Wa state to the bottom of their boat instead of UHMW? Looking for opinions good or bad and performance reviews. What was the application process? Looking for an alternative to UHMW for my new girl. Thanks
Attachments
IMG_2265.jpg
03CD7607-ECFD-4FD4-97B7-E5523C478318.jpg
AK Explore
Buoy Boy

Re: K5 Slipcoat

Postby riverboater » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:30 pm

I have not used the stuff, However I did see two fellows turn and push an 18ft 350 3 stage around and back into the water from a gravel bar they parked on. about a 20ft push. This all happened faster than I could park tie up the boat to give them help. They told me that it had 5 coats of slip on it to start with and then just got touched up as required. If gravel and sand are the problem it should work well. Sharp jagged rocks with Chinese writing on the other side would likely need plastic. I was impressed with how easy they moved a boat that big.
riverboater
Captain

Postby riverboater » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:32 pm

another note, don't put the boat in salt water after you apply slip, the two don't get along.
riverboater
Captain

Postby AK Explore » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:55 pm

Thanks,

I just want to do as much research as possible before either applying this product or going with UHMW.

riverboater wrote:I have not used the stuff, However I did see two fellows turn and push an 18ft 350 3 stage around and back into the water from a gravel bar they parked on. about a 20ft push. This all happened faster than I could park tie up the boat to give them help. They told me that it had 5 coats of slip on it to start with and then just got touched up as required. If gravel and sand are the problem it should work well. Sharp jagged rocks with Chinese writing on the other side would likely need plastic. I was impressed with how easy they moved a boat that big.
AK Explore
Buoy Boy

Postby AK Explore » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:52 pm

Have you actually experienced the K5 product in the salt or known someone that has? According to their web page it is used in all kinds of Maritime applications. I don't think this new boat will ever see the salt but want to make sure that if it does the K5 coating wont just peel off.

http://specialty-products.com/pdf/broch ... utions.pdf

http://specialty-products.com/pdf/artic ... rticle.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNA17cvUMIA

riverboater wrote:another note, don't put the boat in salt water after you apply slip, the two don't get along.
AK Explore
Buoy Boy

Return to Projects