Sponsor Directory

My dream boat. (well, one of them)

Show your boat builds, updates, paint jobs, etc.

My dream boat. (well, one of them)

Postby gemstateman » Thu May 25, 2017 9:02 am

Hi all.
I wanted to share a project with you that has been the result of a lifetime of jet boating experience, knowing what works well for me, and what doesn't, years of patience and deep thought, and countless ideas doodled on nearly every notepad I come across when there's a pen at hand.
With that being said, I truly want to recognize the jet boating community and the great people involved as individuals with experience as well, and that you all are a valuable resource that I would like to "tap" for opinions, ideas, or even a direction toward fulfilling one of my greatest visions.
About a year ago, through a conversation with a friend, I was told of a 24' BWC hull that was sitting on a commercial property in Boise. Being very aware of the current dynamics in dealing with anything involved in the BWC mess, I approached the idea of acquiring this piece with a great deal of caution, involving state, federal and local authorities to insure that a potential investment wouldn't be ripped from my grasp after a significant effort.
As soon as I was informed that I could have a clear and clean title, I purchased this hull and began building a trailer that I could transport this hull home.
One of the things I have noticed throughout the years is a lot of trailers for larger jet boats are severely overloaded, and are very stressful to the tires, as well as the tow vehicle on extended trips. So I decided to build a triple axle trailer with 3500lb axles. Had it coated with bedliner and then shot with clear coat for a sealer. It turned out really nice!
Next step is to complete or add any handrails, brackets, extra compartments, and a fuel tank to the already nearly completed hull.
The coolest thing in my mind that I am doing is powering it with a Duramax. After discussing this idea with several jet boating friends, I was able to locate an individual that has started a business in building a marinized Duramax engine. It should be completed in about a month. There are lots of people excited to see this engine.
I am installing a 241 with the new "turbo" impeller.
Sorry that I don't have any pics at this point, but I promise to keep you all posted. I am excited to hear what everyone has to say about this project, and very humble that the good lord has given me the opportunity to fulfill a great dream.
T2YL.
gemstateman
Deck Swab

Re: My dream boat. (well, one of them)

Postby hilljackian » Thu May 25, 2017 10:08 am

Congrats! I am eager to see some pics when you get a chance.

gemstateman wrote:...The coolest thing in my mind that I am doing is powering it with a Duramax. After discussing this idea with several jet boating friends, I was able to locate an individual that has started a business in building a marinized Duramax engine. It should be completed in about a month. There are lots of people excited to see this engine...

But I would really like to know more about the marinized Duramax. Can you give us some details?
1984 Weldcraft, 24-FT, 460 Ford, Hamilton 1031
1996 HeliArc ProSport 20-FT, 350CID/340HP RamJet, Legend Pump *SOLD*
hilljackian
Master Baiter

Postby Benny » Thu May 25, 2017 10:54 am

Sounds like a fun project! What are your thoughts on harnessing the low rpm torque with the 241? Are you thinking you can build an impeller to get the performance you want with the diesel only spinning to 3000? Having the diesel built to spin to 4000? Or overdrive transmission behind the diesel? I have talked to several people that think this would be great! You might just get that ball rolling. Good luck we all will keep watching this thread for updates.
Benny
Novice Baiter

Postby whee » Thu May 25, 2017 12:38 pm

Sounds like an awesome build! I hope you keep us updated...with pictures!

Installing a dmax could be really awesome. I have a friend that builds perforance dmax engines and he says he could build me an engine that could spin 4500rpm all day long. I didn't bother to ask what it would cost.
I'm brand new to jet boats so don't listen to anything I say.
whee
Master Baiter

Postby NV Jet » Thu May 25, 2017 3:42 pm

Sounds like a cool project! I look forward to frequent updates and PICTURES! :Drink:

I remember reading some time ago about a ocean racing boat that was going to be using Duramax diesels. Found a couple of links:
The boat and the project:
http://www.boatingmag.com/record-breaking-boat-design-0
The builder of the engines:
http://www.waglercompetition.com/
NV Jet
Beer Boy

Postby chariotdriver » Thu May 25, 2017 8:17 pm

A Duramax spinning over 4000rpm in front of a 241 would be an incredible performer with diesel range. This will be a great project to follow as it comes together.
chariotdriver
Captain

Postby Ahusk » Thu May 25, 2017 9:36 pm

Has anyone managed to put an American light truck engine in front of a 241 and make it work in whitewater? Or any pump for that matter. Seems like your going to have a tough time without getting creative.

Neat idea but I don't think anyone has figured out how to make it feasible yet. I would like to see the horsepower to weight to dollar ratio on that one.
Ahusk
First Mate

Postby gemstateman » Thu May 25, 2017 10:20 pm

Thanks guys for your support and enthusiasm. It seems that most of you would like to know more about my thoughts and conclusions in harnessing a Duramax to a jet pump. Since the engine build is not complete, I can only give estimates on the performance.
As any power plant can be harnessed with a bit of creative design, the factors that I considered are weight, accessibility to marine exhaust and/or water cooled components, RPM range, fuel economy, and of coarse the cost.
In my decision I wanted to compare the Duramax to other available engines on the market today since I found a source for a complete marinized Duramax. According to the engine builder, the complete marinized Duramax weighs about 1100 lbs, which is nearly identical to a typical iron big block. The HP rating is somewhere around 500-550 and the torque is pushing 8-900. The fuel consumption varies greatly depending on the RPM that the engine will need to turn. Optimum efficiency is somewhere around 1850 RPM where the engine would consume about 15 GPH. Since this engine is being custom built for a 241, it will turn a little faster, so were shooting for 2800-3200 RPM range with a fuel consumption of around 20 GPH.
I do realize that a 241 spinning at 3000 will need to be a HUGE impeller. Hamilton make a "turbo" impeller that should work well.
The cost is just south of 25K. Slightly more than a supercharged LS but not near as thirsty.
As far as pics go, for some reason I am unable to download any because the MC site tells me the file is to large. Is there any computer nerds on here that can tell me what I'm doing wrong?
gemstateman
Deck Swab

Postby Great White » Thu May 25, 2017 10:46 pm

The marinized Duramax sounds pretty awesome.

What KW rating impeller are you looking to stuff into the 241?
21' Custom Weld WWS...LS3/212.
Great White
First Mate

Postby Great White » Thu May 25, 2017 10:46 pm

The marinized Duramax sounds pretty awesome.

What KW rating impeller are you looking to stuff into the 241?
21' Custom Weld WWS...LS3/212.
Great White
First Mate

Postby Smoke » Fri May 26, 2017 11:06 am

I remember reading some time ago about a ocean racing boat that was going to be using Duramax diesels. Found a couple of links:
The boat and the project:
http://www.boatingmag.com/record-breaking-boat-design-0

I clicked the link and was most intrigued by the seats they were using. Looked them up and they are really cool but way expensive. Would be cool in a river boat though.
Smoke
Beer Boy

Postby chariotdriver » Fri May 26, 2017 12:54 pm

gemstateman wrote:Thanks guys for your support and enthusiasm. It seems that most of you would like to know more about my thoughts and conclusions in harnessing a Duramax to a jet pump. Since the engine build is not complete, I can only give estimates on the performance.
As any power plant can be harnessed with a bit of creative design, the factors that I considered are weight, accessibility to marine exhaust and/or water cooled components, RPM range, fuel economy, and of coarse the cost.
In my decision I wanted to compare the Duramax to other available engines on the market today since I found a source for a complete marinized Duramax. According to the engine builder, the complete marinized Duramax weighs about 1100 lbs, which is nearly identical to a typical iron big block. The HP rating is somewhere around 500-550 and the torque is pushing 8-900. The fuel consumption varies greatly depending on the RPM that the engine will need to turn. Optimum efficiency is somewhere around 1850 RPM where the engine would consume about 15 GPH. Since this engine is being custom built for a 241, it will turn a little faster, so were shooting for 2800-3200 RPM range with a fuel consumption of around 20 GPH.
I do realize that a 241 spinning at 3000 will need to be a HUGE impeller. Hamilton make a "turbo" impeller that should work well.
The cost is just south of 25K. Slightly more than a supercharged LS but not near as thirsty.
As far as pics go, for some reason I am unable to download any because the MC site tells me the file is to large. Is there any computer nerds on here that can tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Using Hamiltons power absorption formula: at 3200rpm you will need an 11.3KW impeller to hold back 500hp. Unless you are planning on using a 20-30% overdrive this may be difficult to accomplish. At 4000rpm it becomes achievable with a 5.8KW impeller which falls in line with what is available.
chariotdriver
Captain

Postby Ross4289 » Tue May 30, 2017 6:54 pm

Would an HJ274 make more sense than a 241? Looks more in line with your power curve
Ross4289
Novice Baiter

Postby FlyLow » Tue May 30, 2017 9:51 pm

It will be interesting to see how your pump hooks up. A 274 with a 14kw takes 570hp to turn 3000rpm and I still can blow it out very easily down low. I'll have a turbo done in a couple weeks .
FlyLow
Forum Enthusiast

Return to Projects