Sponsor Directory

first time jet owner may as well be a project

Show your boat builds, updates, paint jobs, etc.

Re: first time jet owner may as well be a project

Postby big-mike » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:23 pm

did a bunch of tear down last night i will post some pics and tell you what i found here in a little while
big-mike
Beer Boy

Postby big-mike » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:42 pm

finally got some time to do some work last night stripping stuff down taking pictures seeing what I got and a lot of time just sitting in her thinking about my plan and picturing the end result
big-mike
Beer Boy

Postby big-mike » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:45 pm

in the shop and thawing out gotta love north dakota
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
big-mike
Beer Boy

Postby big-mike » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:51 pm

interior stripped and a couple hours with the pressure washer
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
big-mike
Beer Boy

Postby big-mike » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:01 pm

this is what's of left of the steering doesn't look like a factory job to me
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
big-mike
Beer Boy

Postby big-mike » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:04 pm

I found out I have a 12jg-a pump and not a 12jc not that i know the difference or if one better then the other or not
Attachments
image.jpg
big-mike
Beer Boy

Postby big-mike » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:20 pm

now for a fun little game called
" I wonder what used to go there"??
Attachments
image.jpg
the cut off round stock ??
image.jpg
the cut off angle stock??
image.jpg
the aluminum tubing looks like it used to go all the way to the engine compartment but then no idea
big-mike
Beer Boy

Postby big-mike » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:24 pm

also found what I'm guessing is a patch job on the side right before the engine bay
Attachments
image.jpg
big-mike
Beer Boy

Postby big-mike » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:32 pm

a few more pics and everything cleansed sitting back in it while I do some planning
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
big-mike
Beer Boy

Postby big-mike » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:42 pm

so that's what I got done last night I'm really wondering what the steering set up was originally actually wonder how she was put together in the first place if you have any questions comments or suggestions let's hear them or ideas of "what went there" lol I'd really like to know this boats history I thinks she's had an interesting life I don't think the patch job is that big of a deal and I got her all pictured in my head I work 14 on 14 off go back tomorrow so I'm sure I'll be doing lots of drawing and planning gonna start cabbing when I get home
big-mike
Beer Boy

Postby Spud » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:39 pm

You might try contacting Custom Weld with the hull number. They may be able to look up the build sheet for you which would contain a lot of the info you're looking for. Looks like you've made some good progress.
22' TJ Hardtop;Center stick snub nose;8.1HO;H212;T8
Spud
First Mate

Postby big-mike » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:20 pm

Spud wrote:You might try contacting Custom Weld with the hull number. They may be able to look up the build sheet for you which would contain a lot of the info you're looking for. Looks like you've made some good progress.

tried that as soon as I got it they said they don't have records that go back that far I was trying to get any kind of windshield frame from them as some sort of general starting point that I could modify or what ever but they wanted me to ship the boat to them so I gave up on that route
big-mike
Beer Boy

Postby big-mike » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:27 pm

Monblock wrote:The tubing going to the front was for a heater in the cab. As for the windshield/cab, get some large pieces of cardboard and start taping it into what you want. Pretty simple really, then either copy the cardboard templates or have whoever is going to build it for you copy them and build it. You can use that boat year-round if you put a full cab on it. And that Berkley will work fine as long as it is in good shape and has a good impeller/wear-ring fit. 450 horse will move a bunch of boat with a Berkley.

thanks for your input those hoses had me stumped. i have a pile of cardboard sitting at work I saved I'm glad I'm not the only one that fabs with cardboard. I'm not gonna bother with a full cab I live in North Dakota so I can't use a boat year round if I wanted to we drive on all our water in winter 50 below with wind today lol
I was told I should put a inducer in my jet and change my cut on my impeller to get more top end and keep mt bottom end power otherwise tilt be a pig?? I don't know still learning about all that stuff also switch to stainless cause of how sandy/silty our rivers are?
big-mike
Beer Boy

Postby BigCSS » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:05 pm

Mike get a hold of me sometime. I still think you should try and push the windshield a little farther forward and then go back to driving on one side or another with a center door like mine. Also when you do the windshield replace the wood in the bow area with welded in diamond plate so that it will be sealed, where the way it is currently it won't be. Also by retaining a sealed recessed bow you will have a good place to keep an anchor buoy and rope where it won't blow out. Also you will find in the summer that there will be times that people like to sit up there when stopped and hanging out.
Team White Water Winnebago
BigCSS
First Mate

Postby big-mike » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:25 am

I don't think there's any white water here I have only lived here for a couple years but I grew up in Oregon and am home often and plan on bringing the boat with me and traveling other places in the country with it

Cam I am planning on diamond plating the bow completely in but keeping it as deep as it is now maybe some tubes that run out so it's self bailing and also left hand steer with door like yours most of my plans are from what I remember of yours
big-mike
Beer Boy

Postby BigCSS » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:39 am

Mike you're on the right track with your ideas. You will definitely need to bring that out the next time your over here and we can go run em. When are you coming out again? If the timing is right maybe we can get Tyler to go and hit something like the Rogue or something like that at least in my boat.
Team White Water Winnebago
BigCSS
First Mate

Postby big-mike » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:57 am

oh and I was thinking the dash will come up right where that front bench ends and so that'll be how far forward the window is the out side edges will be right where that blue line is and angle in towards the center until the the door that line is a little less the 7' from the very tip of the bow is that far enough forward if all that makes sense I see it in my head
Attachments
image.jpg
big-mike
Beer Boy

Postby big-mike » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:00 am

that would be awesome my next planned trip is July but I only work two weeks a month
big-mike
Beer Boy

Postby jetboatman » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:46 pm

Monblock is right about the power/pump not being a problem to push you good. If you are keeping the pump, might consider a different reverse bucket, or a takeout kodiak, 312, etc. 7' is not exactly what the new cab forward designs would be they are more 5'6". You could contact lots of the smaller builders like Bloodsworth, Hudson, Rogue, etc and they would probally fab up a windshield for you. The problem no one wants the liability for, is a small measurement error, and it doesn't fit perfect, thats why CW wants boat, as most would ! A windshield fab, isn't rocket science, so I think you can go from photos and measurements of other boats, and do ok on your own if you decide to.
Last edited by jetboatman on Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
jetboatman
First Mate

Postby big-mike » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:22 pm

I looked for different reverse buckets without much luck what do you mean by a take out of a Kodiak and any farther forward it sit starts feeling to tight for me I'm 6'8" and 300# and 28" of that measurement is the tip of the bow to where the bow opens up so that's about as far forward as I can get but it is 2' farther than it was thanks again for the input don't have much support out here so far its just the three of you
big-mike
Beer Boy

PreviousNext

Return to Projects