Sponsor Directory

Garmin Reactor 40 kicker autopiot Instal

Show your boat builds, updates, paint jobs, etc.

Garmin Reactor 40 kicker autopiot Instal

Postby Idamainer » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:27 pm

I recently purchased a Garmin Reactor 40 kicker autopilot; I will post photos as I go. After unpacking the different components, all seems like it will go on smoothly, the only issue may be with throttle control connections which I was able to order through another manufacturer that makes remote throttle controls. From what I can see so far, the steering control is straightforward, completing the installation. All of the other components are straightforward, and it is just a matter of making connections on the NMEA 2000 network. As I stated previously, the throttle control is a bit more technical but doable if one is patient and follows the instructions.

Here is the link to engines that Garmin current makes this system for...mine is not on this list.
https://www8.garmin.com/marine/PDF/reactor40kicker_compatibilty.pdf

Lastly, there are no Youtube installation videos for this system yet and I am not making one.
1999, 21 ft Northwest Jet Signature Series, 7.4l fuel injected, Hamilton 212 pump
Former boat 2006 18ft Jetcraft Whitewater, 240 hp sportjet....a rocket on the water
Currently from Henderson, North Carolina running the waters of the Roanoke River.....previously from Star, Idaho
Idamainer
Forum Enthusiast

Re: Garmin Reactor 40 kicker autopiot Instal

Postby Idamainer » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:08 pm

Here are some updates and early photos of the project. My application required some additional parts because Garmin has not yet developed a kit for my mercury 15hp carburated engine. Trollmaster has a throttle linkage kit that will work on this system and it fits my outboard.

The kit comes complete for several engines, being that this is a fairly new system, I expected some issues and Garmin support had advised me that some alterations or extra parts may be needed to make this work.

So far, I have installed the throttle linkage and sorted parts out...more to come.

The black box is for the monitor, the system calls for a flush mount I do not have room for this. This was available at most truck or tractor supply stores.
Attachments
troll 3.jpg
troll2.jpg
Troll1.jpg
1999, 21 ft Northwest Jet Signature Series, 7.4l fuel injected, Hamilton 212 pump
Former boat 2006 18ft Jetcraft Whitewater, 240 hp sportjet....a rocket on the water
Currently from Henderson, North Carolina running the waters of the Roanoke River.....previously from Star, Idaho
Idamainer
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Idamainer » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:14 pm

The system is installed now and there are ways to install this system on outboard motors that are not supported by Garmin. A good industrial fastener store was my best friend. Next up is calibration of the system that will occur sometime next week when I have time.
Idamainer
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Mrwik » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:27 pm

Can I ask what year your Mercury is? I was hoping to install on a 06 15hp. Surprised it would be different than the 9.9 which is listed as a supported kicker.
Mrwik
Deck Swab

Postby Idamainer » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:56 am

It is a 2015. My best advice is anything can be done with some engineering, I was lucky to have a nut and bolt place in Raleigh, NC that saved me. I will upload some photos when get a chance.
Due to a lack of time, I have not had time to get the throttle control working yet.
Idamainer
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Idamainer » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:56 pm

The biggest problem that I had required coupler nuts to be stacked on a threaded rod, this was so that I could attach the steering arm. On the carry handle where the tiler mounts to the outboard, I added spacers that I purchased off of Summit Auto online, I believe these were the alternator spacers. The throttle bracket comes with the kit, it may not be the mercury one but it fits.
Idamainer
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Idamainer » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:42 pm

Update: I will finally get a chance to test on the water, the throttle control has presented some issues. It has been a while since I started this project, an electric start system on the kicker and a temp. gauge on the main engine took priority.

Hopefully, I will be able to post some pictures soon of the modifications to the kicker to accept this system. Was it worth it...absolutely.

The boat will live the summer on the Roanoke River and the autopilot system will be used to striper fish this summer.
Idamainer
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Eagle1 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:39 pm

What did you pay for it and did it come with the 20 readout unit ?
Eagle1
Captain

Postby Idamainer » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:25 am

Roughly about $2600 at West Marine that gave me store coupons of about $110, this allowed me to buy a medium-duty trolling reel for nothing. There is an option to buy it without the GHC readout however, I chose to buy the GHC screen to allow me to see both autopilot functions and the depth charts on the chart plotter at the same time.

To mount the GHC screen I went to a truck store to pick up a light box with a 4" round hole, 3" is preferred.
Idamainer
Forum Enthusiast

Re: Garmin Reactor 40 kicker autopilot Instal

Postby Idamainer » Mon May 04, 2020 7:17 pm

20200320_080636.jpg
Update: The system is working, lots of trial and error stuff.

Error 1. This system is made for specific engines and it is much easier to bolt and play with the right engine than to try to find parts to fit or make them fit...A little Navy Seabee Can Do made it work.
Error 2. I failed to buy the Garmin GPS 19x antenna and thought the Lowrance 1 point GPS would work for this system to work correctly it needs the Garmin antenna. For this application, the GPS needs to be as high on the boat as possible. Note: The new 5g cell phone towers may interfere with the signal on older GPS antenna's, the Garmin 19x seemed to fix this.

Success 1. Buying the monitor with the system and buying a black Friday special Garmin Eco Maps Chartplotter at the same time. My monitor is mounted on top of the dash in a trailer lightbox. Having the monitor separate allows me to have depth charts on the big screen.

Lastly, would I buy this again for fishing lakes...absolutely.
20200320_080648.jpg

20200320_080616.jpg

20200320_080612.jpg
Attachments
output.jpg
Idamainer
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Idamainer » Mon May 04, 2020 7:28 pm

More install photos will be added in the coming days.

The braided wire covering is to keep the friendly woodchuck away.

In a couple of the photos, I had to use spacers to move the carry handle away from the autopilot arm and I had to add long nuts with threaded rod to make the unit work. It would have been easier if my engine had been supported by Garmin, the 15hp pro kicker is supported for this system and they include parts for it in the autopilot kit.
Idamainer
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Eagle1 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:43 pm

Doing a water test set up on my first unit tomorrow. Easy install, most of the engineering was spot on. Installed this unit on a Honda kicker. Doing two more on Yamaha kickers. Sweet unit so far and i have had two Garmin TR-1 units on two boats.
Eagle1
Captain

Return to Projects