Sponsor Directory

Stainless rivnuts for bolt-in bow hatch?

Show your boat builds, updates, paint jobs, etc.

Stainless rivnuts for bolt-in bow hatch?

Postby Mule » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:47 am

I'm building a bolt-in bow hatch to cover the recess on my boat. Thinking I could use stainless rivnuts to secure it to the bow on the inside edge of the recess.
My question is: will they hold up long term? I'm going to be putting a pedestal seat base in the hatch frame, so it will need to be able to carry some weight.
2016 Custom Weld Bush Boat
350 Vortec
Kodiak 3 Stage Pump
Mule
Novice Baiter

Re: Stainless rivnuts for bolt-in bow hatch?

Postby Eagle1 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:52 am

Yes. Use 1/4-20 units and do multiple units. Use silver base anti sleeze on bolt threads.. good luck.$
Eagle1
Captain

Postby whee » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:05 am

Stainless rivnuts is the perfect recipe for failure. At work we considered stainless hardware single use because when torqued to spec it galled almost every time upon attempted removal. A rivnut will break lose and spin before the screw breaks leaving you in a not fun situation; can’t drill it, can’t break it off...

Cad plated nutplate is what I use.
I'm brand new to jet boats so don't listen to anything I say.
whee
First Mate

Postby Oakes1 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:25 am

I used the stainless nutserts all over my build. We have a tool that will insert up to 7/16 inserts. The key is anti seize. I have never had the large ones spin even in high stress applications. Way better then drilling and threading cross members. Not sure about Eagle1"s anti sleeze? He must buy it in large bulk bags....sleeze bags.... :Laugh1:

Another option would be just straight 1/4 inch stainless rivets. The gun I use has a 3200lbs pull, the weak link is always going to be the aluminum that you're installing into. Hell if its good enough to hold an entire Ford truck together, it must be OK for a boat...
Oakes1
EL Capi'tan

Postby Mule » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:35 pm

Sounds good. I'll stick with the rivnuts then and try the anti-sieze thing. Always had so much trouble with stainless galling, but if anti-size is the ticket, it should work out pretty slick.
2016 Custom Weld Bush Boat
350 Vortec
Kodiak 3 Stage Pump
Mule
Novice Baiter

Return to Projects