Sponsor Directory

Wood Jet Boat

Show your boat builds, updates, paint jobs, etc.

Wood Jet Boat

Postby Riverrock12 » Thu May 31, 2018 4:01 pm

I am an experienced wood drift boat builder. Have been thinking about building a jet boat next.

I've used Kevlar and Plascore for the bottoms, so VERY light weight. 3/8" Okume sides covered in a layer of glass inside and out. Was thinking 8-12 degree hull, 20ft long and 78 wide bottom. Considering a layer of UHMW to the entire bottom, but have never worked with UHMW. What thickness UHMW would be appropriate for a wood hull?

I would be powering with an outboard jet, 150hp or larger or a Sport Jet depending on what I can come across for a used motor. Boat would be built on a budget.

Remote steer with a windshield,......but similar in style to Kingfisher Extreme Shallow.

Curious to hear your input about wood jet boat hulls?

Glen L Designs has Snake Shooter plans that I liked. Anyone ever built one?

Thanks.
Riverrock12
Deck Swab

Re: Wood Jet Boat

Postby fuzzyzuk » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:33 am

I wouldnt lol
fuzzyzuk
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Riverjohn » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:21 am

Wood Jet Boats are a lot quieter than metal jet boats. They also come with a lot more upkeep though. Here are some pics:

1969 Aldon Boice 20' Wood Jet Boat 430 Buick Berkeley pump.

On the Yakima River. Wymer, Washington

Riverjohn
Captain

Postby whee » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:45 am

Awesome pics Riverjohn!

Wood boats are so cool. I'd really like to own one someday when I can dedicate the time to treat it right.

As long as you recognize you can't beat on a wood boat like you can a meal then I say do it. Not sure I'd bother with UHMW though.
I'm brand new to jet boats so don't listen to anything I say.
whee
Master Baiter

Postby Riverjohn » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:18 am

whee wrote:Awesome pics Riverjohn!

Wood boats are so cool. I'd really like to own one someday when I can dedicate the time to treat it right.

As long as you recognize you can't beat on a wood boat like you can a meal then I say do it. Not sure I'd bother with UHMW though.

It would be ideal to some how attach Wood sides and top to an Aluminum Bottom. :Drink:
Riverjohn
Captain

Postby Riverrock12 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:47 pm

I love that boat! Very cool!
Riverrock12
Deck Swab

Postby vol423 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:23 pm

There is a design of a boat called a Scrambler that is wood and designed to be used with a jet outboard. It has been used successfully in several areas. But I wouldn't use it where there are rocks. It's one thing to bump a rock in a drift boat, and entirely another thing to hit that rock with a boat under power. You know the result: Splinters! Stay with aluminum.
vol423
Deck Swab

Postby Riverrock12 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:36 am

Will be building a jet boat in this same kind of style. This is a drift boat I built a couple years ago. 2 more in my shop right now, but then I'm going to try a jet boat.

Riverrock12
Deck Swab

Postby Riverrock12 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:39 am

vol423 wrote:There is a design of a boat called a Scrambler that is wood and designed to be used with a jet outboard. It has been used successfully in several areas. But I wouldn't use it where there are rocks. It's one thing to bump a rock in a drift boat, and entirely another thing to hit that rock with a boat under power. You know the result: Splinters! Stay with aluminum.

I saw the Scrambler on Glen L Designs Website, but I've been leaning more toward his Snake Shooter.
Riverrock12
Deck Swab

Postby trebreklaw » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:13 pm

I built one a few years ago 3/4 plywood bottom with 3/8 UHMW over bottom. The shock when you hit a rock ( and you will) transfers to the plywood and pops the plywood apart . Boat was 16 ft with 140 Gm engine and Berkley pump. It was a trial design I wanted to try and only lasted a couple of years .
Then I built an aluminum copy 1/4 inch bottom with uhmw which I still use.
IN my opinion it will be a disappointment.
trebreklaw
Beer Boy

Postby Bobcat93 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:38 am

Riverrock12 wrote:Will be building a jet boat in this same kind of style. This is a drift boat I built a couple years ago. 2 more in my shop right now, but then I'm going to try a jet boat.

That boat is a piece of art. Well done!
2005 Hewescraft 20' Sportjet
Bobcat93
Beer Boy

Postby Jetcrafter » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:43 am

That drift boat is the coolest drift boat I've ever seen. Wow, really nice work. I wouldn't want to use it, just too nice to get bloody and banged up. How did you protect the bottom and the sides?

Any more pictures?
Jetcrafter
Buoy Boy

Return to Projects