Sponsor Directory

Trim Nozzle for 770

Show your boat builds, updates, paint jobs, etc.

Trim Nozzle for 770

Postby RiverHunter » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:02 pm

Just received my trim nozzle for my 3 stage hamilton. Notice it suggests a skid plate for under the new nozzle. I've been searching but cannot seem to find any. Is this a custom thing I should be doing?
RiverHunter
Deck Swab

Re: Trim Nozzle for 770

Postby Dawb » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:41 pm

Custom. Once again, all those guys i mentioned to you should be able to help u out if you cant fab (like i cant haha) curious about the trim nozzle. Whos is it and what did it cost? Feel free to pm me if u dont want to say on here.
Thanks!
Dawb
Master Baiter

Postby RiverHunter » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:09 pm

PM sent.
RiverHunter
Deck Swab

Postby tnairn » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:44 pm

I am interested as well I am thinking that may be a worthy investment if tuning/ power doesn’t fix my planing issue
tnairn
Master Baiter

Postby Dawb » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:09 am

Very interested to see how the nozzle turns out. Be sure to take some really good records of before for cruise speed/rpm, WOT top speed/rpm, estimated hole shot lengths stand still at wot, and easing into it (minimum throttle needed to plane out).
Of course u dont NEED to do this for me haha, but it is good for your own records to see what you gained. Could also help some others decide if its worth it to buck up or not.

I have no doubt it will be a great upgrade...
Dawb
Master Baiter

Postby riverboater » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:44 am

I have had a Kodiak and a Scott trim on Hamilton 770 jets, Yes they work good for some issues. However they work better on shorter boats as far as ride quality. They do make a large difference in lift from dead stop with a load or when picking your way through shallower water at a lower speed. I now run a Scott pump that comes with their tilt, this tilts several degree more up and down than my Kodiak or even the retro scott 770 unit. When I first got this on the water I was impressed with how slow I was able to stay on plane and how quick it would jump on plane in shallower water. In one case I was lead boat in a particular shallow small river, after a shallow run we had stopped for lunch, buddy says you should walk back a bit and see the trail you leave. I didn't know what he was talking about so we went for a walk and I was shocked at the damage I had done to the gravel bed I had just crossed. That was a learning curve for sure and I now get the trim back to or near level asap or at least before running in sensitive shallow areas. Plaining at slow speed this thing would dig a trench a foot deep and as wide in the gravel you crossed. It did make it easy to follow your trail back downstream but way too much environmental damage to get away with for very long. So once you get it installed go find some shallow water without any witnesses around and give it a try to see what your settings should be for shallow water without damaging the bottom.
riverboater
Captain

Postby RiverHunter » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:03 pm

OK. Trying to remove the old T3 nozzle. Removed 4 nuts and steering knuckle. This thing isn't budging. Hammering with rubber mallet and nothing. Anybody have similar issue. If so, did you use some heat? Any other suggestions are appreciated. The housing is all cast I assume and really don't want to swing any harder/longer than needed.
RiverHunter
Deck Swab

Postby riverboater » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:08 pm

I am thinking it has seen a bit of salt water, put the nuts back on so at least one or two threads stick out of the nut, weld them onto the studs and try to remove as a bolt instead. might need to heat around each stud a bit to get the corrosion to let loose. The heat from welding quit often works if you do them one at a time. Or heat with a propane torch as they are cooler flame and use a good penetrating spray, (several times per stud) and it may also work. Failing that take a hammer and beat the nozzle directly beside the stud until you shock the corrosion and swell the aluminum a small amount, A t-3 is not that dear so if you f it up no real loss. The last seriously salt corroded 773 I stripped out of an old boat took about a month in a barrel full of diesel before I was able to get it apart. Patients are your friend as if you twist of a stud flush to the nozzle flange it is harder to weld another one on to try again, That being said every time you weld to the stud it helps melt the aluminum oxide corrosion.
riverboater
Captain

Postby riverboater » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:08 pm

Or better yet, pull the entire tail cone so you can work on it on the bench.
riverboater
Captain

Postby RiverHunter » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:43 pm

Thanks. Will Try the entire cone and work from a bench. Hopefully the entire cone comes easier...
RiverHunter
Deck Swab

Postby RiverHunter » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:18 am

So it appears that the steering rod is not allowing the cone to be removed. The knuckle is loose and not holding things up. I looked inside the boat and it appears that there must be a locking key/screw at the bushing just forward of the knuckle?
RiverHunter
Deck Swab

Postby RiverHunter » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:33 pm

Finally got the old nozzle off. The kit is installed and I'll be out tomorrow to try it out.
RiverHunter
Deck Swab

Return to Projects