Sponsor Directory

Stick Steer Project

Show your boat builds, updates, paint jobs, etc.

Re: Stick Steer Project

Postby IDXCJUNKIE » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:17 pm

If I push the stick forward the boat goes Right. Pull stick back, goes left.

More progress this weekend. Got the rear bearings and arms semi-attached to the rivet nuts. Clearances are all good in the rear. Fits real nice. Used a pvc conduit for the connection from the handle control arms - to the rear control arms to test handle push and rear arm movement and distance. Looks like I only need 1.5" each way lock to lock at the jet.

IMG_20180409_172625107.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20180409_143638152_HDR.jpg
IDXCJUNKIE
Deck Swab

Postby whee » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:02 pm

A while back I was going to install some rivnuts in a project and was warned that doing so would be a major error. One mechanic discribed how the manufacture of the fleet of airplanes he worked on had installed rivnuts all over the planes and every single one had failed (spun in the holes). He had the pleasure of patching all the holes and installing nut plates.

I know it’s too late but I thought it was worth mentioning.
I'm brand new to jet boats so don't listen to anything I say.
whee
Master Baiter

Postby BigCSS » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:37 pm

IDXCJUNKIE wrote:If I push the stick forward the boat goes Right. Pull stick back, goes left.

More progress this weekend. Got the rear bearings and arms semi-attached to the rivet nuts. Clearances are all good in the rear. Fits real nice. Used a pvc conduit for the connection from the handle control arms - to the rear control arms to test handle push and rear arm movement and distance. Looks like I only need 1.5" each way lock to lock at the jet.

IMG_20180409_172625107.jpg

That’s unnatural and going to be confusing as heck. It should be setup so which ever hand is running the stick is going to naturally move like you were steering a bicycle with that hand. Just something to think about, because in a panic situation you want it to be a natural movement. Another thing you might think about is you might get comfortable with how it is, but what happens if someone else needs to run the boat in an emergency situation.... So you may want to think about redesigning it so since you’re running the stick with your left hand, when you push it forward you go left and pull back go right, just like the handle bar on a bike.
Team White Water Winnebago
BigCSS
First Mate

Postby Music Man » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:45 pm

I think you got it wrong.
".... So you may want to think about redesigning it so since you’re running the stick with your left hand, when you push it forward you go left and pull back go right, just like the handle bar on a bike"

On a bike if you push forward with your left hand you go right not left. :Drink1:
2008 24' HCM 8.1L "River Dog"
2018 12' MotoJet "River Pup"
Music Man
Forum Enthusiast

Postby IDXCJUNKIE » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:25 pm

If I was to think of this like a bicycle handle bar, like bigcss is referring to......If I had only my left hand on the bicycle handle bar, riding with one hand, and push my left hand forward.....I go right. If I pull my left hand back I go left. Am I missing something??
IDXCJUNKIE
Deck Swab

Postby IDXCJUNKIE » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:30 pm

whee wrote:A while back I was going to install some rivnuts in a project and was warned that doing so would be a major error. One mechanic discribed how the manufacture of the fleet of airplanes he worked on had installed rivnuts all over the planes and every single one had failed (spun in the holes). He had the pleasure of patching all the holes and installing nut plates.

I know it’s too late but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Yes, I found out I do not like riv nuts. They all seem tight, but it was a bitch getting them set in that tight space. If I have problems with them, I will cut a hand hole in the shelf and install lock nuts.
IDXCJUNKIE
Deck Swab

Postby whee » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:06 pm

IDXCJUNKIE wrote:If I was to think of this like a bicycle handle bar, like bigcss is referring to......If I had only my left hand on the bicycle handle bar, riding with one hand, and push my left hand forward.....I go right. If I pull my left hand back I go left. Am I missing something??

No, you got it right. Maybe bigcss was thinking right hand stick?
whee
Master Baiter

Postby BigCSS » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:42 am

Damn 12 hour shifts they’ve got me working since they beginning of the year and rotating have been messing with me. Sorry was along day yesterday and I got all backwards...
Team White Water Winnebago
BigCSS
First Mate

Postby thumper » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:30 pm

Interesting side note... sorry for the hijack.

Actually a bicycle will turn left if you momentarily push the left bar forward. I know it seems wrong but pay attention the next time you ride. A nudge will cause the bike to lean left and turn left. It becomes second nature and we don't realize it.

A tricycle would turn right however.

:Drink:
thumper
Deck Swab

Postby IDXCJUNKIE » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:53 pm

A little more work, so close now to getting a working system.
Rear control rod through the transom connected, I will need another lube nut on the inside or a boot
Attachments
611.jpg
580_HDR.jpg
IDXCJUNKIE
Deck Swab

Postby IDXCJUNKIE » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:56 pm

The long control rod is in, Front flange bearing axle and control arms are tack welded and the handle is bolted.
Attachments
7695.jpg
237.jpg
IDXCJUNKIE
Deck Swab

Postby Eagle1 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:30 pm

You might want to install a 24 inch 1/4-28 extension lube hose on bearings so you don't need to stand on your head to lube. Bring up to one location. Looks sweet on the install.

Eagle1
Eagle1
Captain

Postby kingmech1 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:46 pm

Just curious how many guides are you installing in your rod?
kingmech1
Buoy Boy

Postby IDXCJUNKIE » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:56 pm

Eagle1 wrote:You might want to install a 24 inch 1/4-28 extension lube hose on bearings so you don't need to stand on your head to lube. Bring up to one location. Looks sweet on the install.

Eagle1

Thanks thats a good idea. or at least ones that turn 90 deg. Its tight down there.
IDXCJUNKIE
Deck Swab

Postby IDXCJUNKIE » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:58 pm

kingmech1 wrote:Just curious how many guides are you installing in your rod?

One possibly two. HDPE guides. I cut a square hole in the support below the fuel tank and was going to use HDPE square sheet with a hole centered around the pipe. This is about half way along the pipe. If I need another, I will have to weld one to the shelf.
IDXCJUNKIE
Deck Swab

Postby IDXCJUNKIE » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:57 pm

Its all completed, minus the aluminum cover along the long control pipe and boot at the floor of the stick. Ready for water test tomorrow.
Attachments
5-IMG_2018R.jpg
2-IMG_20180425.jpg
3-IMG_20180425.jpg
IMG_20180425_201514187.jpg
4-IMG_20180425.jpg
1-IMG_20180425.jpg
IDXCJUNKIE
Deck Swab

Postby Stormtrooper » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:45 pm

That's pretty much how I did mine. I had to make some offsets to get around motor mounts.
Stormtrooper
Boat Enthusiast

Postby hilljackian » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:14 pm

Honest question: what is going to happen if you strike something and deform that bulkhead that the HDPE support is mounted on? Is there enough give in the HDPE so the steering rod will not jam and leave you in the middle of a bad situation without steering?

I personally have hit rocks that moved a similar bulkhead over an inch vertically on a boat with a 1/2 bottom.
1984 Weldcraft, 24-FT, 460 Ford, Hamilton 1031
1996 HeliArc ProSport 20-FT, 350CID/340HP RamJet, Legend Pump *SOLD*
hilljackian
Master Baiter

Postby whee » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:26 pm

hilljackian wrote:Honest question: what is going to happen if you strike something and deform that bulkhead that the HDPE support is mounted on? Is there enough give in the HDPE so the steering rod will not jam and leave you in the middle of a bad situation without steering?

I personally have hit rocks that moved a similar bulkhead over an inch vertically on a boat with a 1/2 bottom.

I installed my stick steering using a similar method as Junkie. I have 3 HDPE carriers and used 3/4" cold rolled steel rod. I drilled the bulkheads oversized (I can't remember the exact size) and fastened the HDPE with sheet metal screws. The idea is that if the bulkhead get smashed the hdpe will come loose and I will still be able to steer. The 3/4" rod has some give it in also.

My primary area of concern is the same on my boat as on Junkies; the arm at the front of the boat is not that far off the bottom. Smack a rock with the bow and you could easily loose steering.
whee
Master Baiter

Postby smitty » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:33 pm

Thoughts on stick steering, by yours truly.

1) whether your stick steering is with your right or left hand, the configuration that seems intuitive would be as if your steering limb was pushing or pulling the same side of the boat....

2) some (well, at least one) of the L/C valley builders who install stick steering to replace a wheel, use a cable rather than an actuating rod. I understand that cables tend to collect water and corrode and wear out, and I understand that actuating rods can get bent or jammed if you take a hit. And... that an actuating rod is difficult to retro-fit with a belly (gas) tank.

3) personally not a fan of the 'electric over what have you' system, and I wish I could do r&d with designs that involve thinking 'outside of the box'

Happy steering....
Re: reading water: "I use a completely different method.. When I get high centered I don't go that way again. " - bigcat_ak
smitty
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to Projects