Sponsor Directory

Nose Job

Show your boat builds, updates, paint jobs, etc.

Nose Job

Postby riverboater » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:28 pm

So buddy likes his boat just wished it was a landing craft now that he is getting old and needs a quad to haul his ass around. No problem, a few hours with a saw and it is on its way.
002.jpg
R morrow 3.jpg
r morrow 4.jpg

Will leave the dash in place to hold basic shape and form, after some fab then it will get the saw as well.
riverboater
Captain

Re: Nose Job

Postby riverboater » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:22 pm

finally got a few hours to put to this project today.
more cuts.jpg
square floor.jpg
bow door angle mock.jpg
bow door one.jpg
riverboater
Captain

Postby warfighteroutfitters » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:33 pm

keep the photos coming, interested to see the hinge and lifting mech.
This is what I do.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia-Zk2yx7qE
This is where you can help. www.warfighteroutfitters.org
warfighteroutfitters
Beer Boy

Postby riverboater » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:32 am

So the budget for this project was 60 hours, Just hit 24 hours at this point.
bow door frame.jpg
2017_1108mark0024.jpg
door shut.jpg
riverboater
Captain

Postby riverboater » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:34 am

Originally had plans of a centre console in front of engine with Tee top. Have now done a complete redesign and will reuse some of the original windshield parts, photo's to follow.
riverboater
Captain

Postby Dawb » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:21 pm

holy crap!
Dawb
Master Baiter

Postby eshaw » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:55 am

Did you make any more progress on this?
eshaw
Deck Swab

Postby bigcat_ak » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:53 am

:Worthless:
bigcat_ak
Buoy Boy

Postby riverboater » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:29 pm

The project spent a month in the snow bank, Had too many other things that needed the shop floor. Finally got my Christmas gift from the wife set up so nothing holding me back now. gunnels in place, windshield relocated, need to finish up the windshield support and door as well as 3rd piece of windshield. hope to have steering and controls back in place before I have to work around the windshield support bulkhead. Here are a few pics, more to follow now that I am back on the job.
Marks tools.jpg
gunnels.jpg
Window locate.jpg
window locate 2.jpg
riverboater
Captain

Postby eshaw » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:06 pm

Really nice pan brake. I'd like one but really can't justify one, yet. I'd thought about doing one of these style doors to a bigger flat bottom to haul a 4x4. Doing a good job so far. How you planning to seal up the door jamb?
eshaw
Deck Swab

Postby Erik Mendel » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:51 am

Wow Mark nice brake. I can only imagine the things you will create with that. That's a good wife you got their
Erik Mendel
Beer Boy

Postby riverboater » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:11 pm

Time to get this finished up, spring can't be far off.
door up.jpg
bulkhead fit.jpg
bulk head tacked.jpg
drivers dash.jpg
riverboater
Captain

Postby eshaw » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:08 am

How are you planning on sealing the door on the front? This is a pretty interesting project.
eshaw
Deck Swab

Postby riverboater » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:12 pm

The door seal will be well above the water line, I had planned on gluing a pool noodle inside the track. Picked up a pair of linear actuators so now plan on push button operation of the door with buckle latches for positive locks. Ready for final weld out and stuff in the windows. Just need to trim original glass a bit smaller. Anybody know any tricks to cut laminated glass? I am thinking a sturdy template to clamp to the glass so the scribe is equal on each side, give it a crack and then melt the plastic with a small torch. Saw it done once many years back, What could possibly go wrong? Failing that I have some scrap lexan I can cut on the band saw.
riverboater
Captain

Postby eshaw » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:58 pm

riverboater wrote:The door seal will be well above the water line, I had planned on gluing a pool noodle inside the track. Picked up a pair of linear actuators so now plan on push button operation of the door with buckle latches for positive locks. Ready for final weld out and stuff in the windows. Just need to trim original glass a bit smaller. Anybody know any tricks to cut laminated glass? I am thinking a sturdy template to clamp to the glass so the scribe is equal on each side, give it a crack and then melt the plastic with a small torch. Saw it done once many years back, What could possibly go wrong? Failing that I have some scrap lexan I can cut on the band saw.

The way you're describing cutting the glass is the way hot rodders have been cutting curved laminated auto glass for years. After they scribe it and crack the glass I've read that they squirt lighter fluid onto the plastic and light it. They also sand the cut window with diamond abrasive wheels and LOTS of water.
eshaw
Deck Swab

Postby riverboater » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:18 pm

I have been watching u-tube on how to cut laminate glass, they make it look easy. Problem is I want to cut radius corners and have not found any video on that. Would a person be smart to cut it square and then try to radius corners? I was hoping a belt sander and dust mask would work to knock off the sharp edges.
riverboater
Captain

Postby eshaw » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:51 am

I've never done this myself. If I was to try it I'd do like you said and try and sneak up on it in the corners gradually. If you try it good luck!
eshaw
Deck Swab

Postby Norriv commander » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:36 am

hey riverboater on your glass cutting question....not sure how much you know about glass cutting so i'll just start from begining....just did this exact same thing with a buddy!
-make square cuts first use paint thinner to make your cuts[just a little on a paint brush down the cut line],acts as a lubricant,makes the score cut much cleaner and there is much less chance of cracks running
-cut square cuts on one side flip it over match that cut on opposite side then give a slight break,then pour small amount of alcohol down break line,that will dissolve laminate centre and allow glass to seperate completly
-then trace your radius and follow exact same process as straight cuts,but you will have to free hand the radius cuts then belt sand smooth but you should use water as a coolant when sanding

hope that helps!
Chris.
Norriv commander
Boat Enthusiast

Postby riverboater » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:42 pm

So I screwed up the glass, straight cuts worked as planned, radius not so good. New glass on the way. Well the project is finished less sea trials. Estimated 65 hours but ended up taking 78.5, not too bad overall and my friend is excited to give it a try once the water softens up a bunch.
finished less glass.jpg
finished.jpg
finished less sea trial.jpg
riverboater
Captain

Postby eshaw » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:05 am

Hope it works out for your buddy. Don't feel bad on the glass, from what I've read it's a real pain in the butt to do it and do it right. I had a guy in CO cut down a curved windshield for a chop top 56 Ford I had and it's a art form to do that stuff from what I saw.
eshaw
Deck Swab

Return to Projects