Sponsor Directory

The "water bug" project

Show your boat builds, updates, paint jobs, etc.

The "water bug" project

Postby d4570 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:37 pm

I'm in the beginning proses of building My Mini airboat I'm calling the "Water Bug".

At this point I don't have a hull, but have an idea what I want. Around a 14' very flat ( mud) Bottom Jon that I would put out riggers on or Fabricate a catamaran type hull with FLAT tubes .

Right now I have a 1971 VW Bug motor. 1600cc air cooled around 60 Hp.

I got it running very nice, I still need to get a voltage regulator for the generator and a fuel pump.

Right now I'm gravity feeding fuel , I'm going to go with an electric external fuel pump both on order.

I'm in contact with a prop manufacture and am on hold .
I am torn as to witch end of my VW motor I need to put my prop. Direct dive or reduced.

Each would need a different prop size and direction.
I finally got the little motor running nice, and it sounds strong, for 1600cc 50hp vw .
.As you can see I had to put the starter on to "Back" of the motor and it sticks out about a foot.
If I run off that end ,either direct or reduced it need to be past the end of the starter.
The front ,belt end, I read that the bushing on the crank will not hold up to the strain of a prop.
So I would have to reduce it Belt or chain.

How come a person just could not add a chain Drive on to crank up to the generator and put the Prop on the generator ???
Would a motorcycle chain hold up? Would the generator an stand holdup ?

I have a line on a Snowmobile clutch , torque converter belt drive too

THOUGHTS ?

:Scared:
Last edited by d4570 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
d4570
Buoy Boy

Re: The "water bug" project Insight anyone?

Postby d4570 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:21 am

I just picked up a Johnson skee horse that is still intact. I'm thinking about using the clutch/drive to run the prop on the bug????
The motors only ran around 4000 rpm not much more then the VW. It drives a chain drive set up and I could change the ratio as needed.
Any ideas on that ???
:Noteeth:
d4570
Buoy Boy

Postby d4570 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:35 pm

I found some UHDW ( slippery white nylon plastic ) for the boat here in town at Windsor plywood. 4X8 sheet 1/2" thick perfect, $305 a sheet. That sounds nuts but it is a good price and no freight . I have found some on the net for around the same price but there is $300 freight , more if it is a residential address and a per cut price.

They will cut it for me and sell me a half sheet for $160 , cut it in to 6, 4" wide 8 foot strips for the bottom of the cats.

But I need to put the sheet metal on first, the plastic will hold on the steel.
I found a peace of 20 gauge 4X10 galvanized at steel etcetera here ,and they will cut it into 2, 2x10 pieces, for $78, I'm also getting some more Aluminum and make another brace between the cats half way up.
I'm wondering if I spray , "Under coating" like we used to put on cars and trucks, on the Aluminum cats first then cover it with the sheet and plastic, will it help stop the Aluminum to steel electrolysis ?
I'm mixing the heck out of the steel/aluminum stuff.
It will be the most contact area , I don't plan on ever running in salt water as in ocean but alkali is salt too.

d4570
Buoy Boy

Postby d4570 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:36 pm

I flipped the Waterbug hull bottom side up to work on the hulls.
I added some more bridging and cross support.

Then I took some 20 gauge cold roll and bent it to shape and added a small trim tab to the bottom and back of the hulls.
The cold roll is to help stop sharp ice/rocks and it slides better then Aluminum. The lip is to "Brake" the water like a drip edge on your roof.

I'll add three ,four inch by 1/2 inch hdpe plastic to each cat to make it slide even better .

I'll paint the aluminum with a rubberized paint before permanently attaching the sheet. Then I plan to coat the cold roll with "Gaiter Glide" before the plastic to make it slid as easy as I can.
One day I'll put a motor on this thing...D
d4570
Buoy Boy

Postby whee » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:18 pm

Cool project. Are you posting on southernairboat.com at all? Lots of cool guys that are willing to offer advice on that site. But don't stop posting here :Drink:
I'm brand new to jet boats so don't listen to anything I say.
whee
Master Baiter

Postby d4570 » Fri May 12, 2017 4:20 pm

Going to start mounting the motor ASAP. :chicken:
d4570
Buoy Boy

Postby vert181 » Fri May 12, 2017 4:34 pm

VW had a boat that was sold through the dealers in the 60s called a volksliner. Was powered by a 36hrs and had heat exchangers and everything. I know some of those motors are still floating around out there. (pun intended) May be helpful in your build. Here's a link to some information about it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... ?p=4820586
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds ... ?id=887100
I like my boats like I like my women, slathered in lipstick and scrunchies.
vert181
Master Baiter

Postby d4570 » Fri May 12, 2017 7:54 pm

Some fun for sure
d4570
Buoy Boy

Re: The "water bug" project

Postby d4570 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:12 am

Still working.
I went as far s I can on the boat port for a wail.
I did not go calling and the lawn did not need to be messed with.
Water bug time.
My buddy and I welded up some of the motor platform but did no get it welded to the boat.
I added some Pillars to disperse the weight , not welded in yet. I used a hole saw and cut the Sq tubing and drove it in , should hold better then just welded to the out side.

A VW motor mounts only to the transaxle so no actual motor mounts. I mane one . the motor will set on it and I'll bolt it on with the 2 studs on the front of the motor under the front pulley.

Then I plan on having a heave "L" bracket from the trany bell housing mount holes to the front of the motor mount.

The oil sump is in the very bottom of the case I had to cut a hole to change the oil.

Now I need more welding...
d
d4570
Buoy Boy

Postby d4570 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:57 am

:drool:
The VW motor is officially attached to the Hull !!!!
I have been fabricating a motor bracket and starter mount .
WOW lots of cutting and fitting But it looks just like I envisioned and
seams to work .
I have to be able to adjust the " attitude" of the motor 'drive.
I still have to make the "Adjuster" on the front.
It will consist of a one inch ,by three inch bolt and nut on a rubber pad
To move up and down and then a locking plate to hold it in place .
That's next.
THEN finally I can start the drive/hub/prop.

d4570
Buoy Boy

Postby d4570 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:59 pm

At long last I have the primary clutch "ON" the motor.
I had to relocate the starter an 1/8 inch as to let the front half turn freely.

Every thing is turning to the left and all the screw on parts are right hand thread. I have roll pins and nut locks an anything in the "Drive train". I'm going to do a power up soon to see if the VW 1600cc will make the clutch engage. The "First" "TEST" ended in a major malfunction. BUT I have added a carrier bearing to prevent that now, I hope.

d4570
Buoy Boy

Postby d4570 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:20 pm

Today I did a Major test . A+!!!!!
1971 VW bug 1600cc undetermined mileage motor.
This set in a shed for maybe 30 years. I Got a new carb at amazon ( still factory settings ),
New coil, plugs wires points and condenser. I set the valves and point with a feeler gauge ,remember them ?a year ago I had it running on the ground for like 5 minutes for the first test of the clutch adaptor that I had made. It failed in moments. I redesigned and had it fabbed up again, This time with a carrier bearing and a shaft that went in to the piolet bearing in the crank. I Have not ran it since. I built the hull made the motor mounts and finally mounted it on the boat.
Made a mount for the carrier bearing re did the starter to fit.
It is About a year later. Today I needed to start it up and see if my primary clutch off the 1969 Johnson snowmobile would even work.

Dang! I put the fuel line in to a gas can and hit the starter. A dozen turns and she came to life. I have not put a timing light on it yet but it ran very smooth from, 800 rpm (Idle) after the electric choke came all the way off , to 5000 rpm ( as fast as I wanted to turn it unloaded). As stated in the information I could find on the clutch It engaged at 1700rpm and at 3100 rpm was fully moved in for the reduction change. Everything sounded smooth and solid. I ran it for a half hour or so at 2500 rpm. I still have to do some work on my temp and oil psi gauges apparently, but the oil on the dip stick was still cool to the touch. NICE!

Next to mount the secondary clutch, and see if that part works as expected !!! :master:

d4570
Buoy Boy

Postby arrgh » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:53 pm

VW and even half a VW motor were quite commonly used on homebuilt aircraft. You will probably find plenty of useful bits are still available.
arrgh
Buoy Boy

Postby d4570 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:34 pm

YUP lots. BUT!
Most are front drive and most of them are direct drive.
I'm driving off the back and using a snowmobile clutch reduction :chicken: drive.
d4570
Buoy Boy

Return to Projects