Sponsor Directory

Favorite deer and elk recipes?

Recipe section for fish, salsas, game, etc.

Favorite deer and elk recipes?

Postby Sakko300wsm » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:28 pm

Ok - we have hunting season right around the corner. Lets hear some of your favorite seer and elk recipes.... :Drink:
Boat less , but new ride in the works!!
Slowly building the boat
Custom Haxby 496"
Sakko300wsm
Master Baiter

Re: Favorite deer and elk recipes?

Postby TJet Apprentice45 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:47 pm

Mule Deer Appetizer Rolls:

Great way to put to use some of hte tougher cuts of a deer or antelope other than grinding it all into Burger.

Ingredients:
Deer Steak/Roast
Creme Cheese
Peppered Bacon
Onion
Green Pepper
Mushrooms
Salt/Pepper
Your Favorite frying batter (the thicker the better in this case to seal in all the goodness)

Steps:
1.Chop vegies - set aside
2.Slice steaks about 1/8in thick and 6-8in long and 1-2in wide
3.Cook the bacon to rare, set aside.
4. Using the bacon grease, cook the deer to rare, just giving it a bit of color and ensuring everything gets cooked to temp when it's all put together.
5. Once the deer is done and cool enough to handle, lay the strips out flat and start layering your ingredients. Start with the Creme Cheese then bacon and so on. You can add as many layers as you want, but they'll get pretty big and tough to handle if you get too many.
6. Roll them up tight and stick together with a tooth pick.
7. Coat the rolls in your thick batter, salt and pepper to taste then into the fryer to a golden brown.

Serve with Ranch or a spicey jalapeno dip.
Slugs "N" Sinkers Jet Boating
TJet Apprentice45
Beer Boy

Postby Hooterville T » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:07 pm

Cajun Venison:

I have done this with Whitetail, Mule deer, Elk and Caribou.

Ingredients:
2 lb. of venison
1 cup each chopped onion, chopped celery, chopped bell pepper.
1 tsp. minced garlic. ( I use a couple at least.)
2 bay leaves.
1 cup flour.
Tony chachere's Cajun seasoning.
Vegetable oil.
4 cups low sodium beef stock.
1 cup tomato sauce.
Water.
salt and pepper.

Cut your meat into little steaks about 1/2 inch thick and the size of a silver dollar. Then give them a good pounding with a meat hammer and flatten them out pretty good. Take half a cup of flour and mix your Cajun seasoning with it. Put enough in to start to give the flour some color. Heat a thin layer of oil in a cast iron skillet. Dredge the steaks in the flour and seasoning mix and fry them in the oil until golden brown. Set the steaks aside and add a little more oil (if needed) and the rest of the flour to your skillet stirring constantly with a wire whisk until medium brown. Add the onions celery and peppers and garlic. Add the bay leaves and a couple more tablespoons of Cajun seasoning and stir it all together real good. Cook for about 5 minutes and remove from heat. In a dutch oven bring your beef broth to a boil. Add your vegetable mix a little at a time stirring as you add it. Add the meat and tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for about 20 more minutes. Add water to thin it down if it needs it. Salt and pepper to taste. I usually just add more Cajun seasoning but I like it pretty hot. Server with potatoes rice or grits.
Hooterville T
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Sakko300wsm » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:03 pm

Holy crap those sound good!!!
Slowly building the boat
Custom Haxby 496"
Sakko300wsm
Master Baiter

Postby Hero » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:38 pm

Cut steaks thick.....1.25" is how I like them. Dredge in Montreal steak season. Let sit for two days minimum in a container that can circulate air.....Cook to rare-medium rare on a very hot cast iron skillet. remove from heat and allow to rest. You will wonder why you cooked it any other way.
Hero
Boat Enthusiast

Postby Sakko300wsm » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:24 am

Elk Meatballs

2 lbs elk burger
2 diced jalepenos
1/4 cup diced onions
2 eggs
3/4 cup shredded sharp white cheedar
1/2 cup bread crumps ( or enough to make it to form)
few shakes of favorite hot sauce
I use t spoon or so of prime rib rub ( johnys ro just salt and pepper)
pan fry to brown outside finish in baking pan @ 400 for 30 minutes
easy , but always a good apetizer
Slowly building the boat
Custom Haxby 496"
Sakko300wsm
Master Baiter

Postby Blaster » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:16 pm

I don't have a recipe but last spring I had dinner at the Hyatt in Calgary, strip loin of elk wrapped in wild boar bacon. Best meal I ever ate. Try it if you are in Calgary.
Blaster
Deck Swab

Postby Beerbohm » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:52 am

Vennie Roles

Couple of pounds of ground deer
mushrooms, onions, jalapenos, minced garlic, extra sharp cheddar, egg role wraps.

Brown the deer meat with mushrooms, onions and minced garlic. Or put what ever you want with the meat. Season to taste. Remember every thing is better with bacon!!!

put a spoon full of the above on a egg role wrap throw a few jalapenos on top, put a slice of cheese about the size of your pinky, wrap it up and deep fry till golden brown.
dip in soy sauce and sour cream. Enjoy. These things are absolutely delicious!!!

I typically make 60+ at a time, once out of the deep fryer role on a paper towel to remove excess oil and put in a freezer bag. I brought these to a super bowl party and was told that I could not come again unless I brought these. There were a bunch of anti hunters who devoured them :Laugh1:
2016 ThunderJet 22' Rio Classic 6L Stick Steer (aka "The Naughty Girl")
Beerbohm
Boat Enthusiast

Postby Sakko300wsm » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:06 pm

I'll hafta give those a shot!! Gotta a bunch of fresh mule deer waiting to get eaten! :Drink:
Slowly building the boat
Custom Haxby 496"
Sakko300wsm
Master Baiter

Postby Spence » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:12 am

Gotta try that seasoning. I will throw a deer roast in slow cooker tomorrow! Cajun seasoning should come in handy.
Spence
Deck Swab

Return to Dinner Table