Sponsor Directory

New to jet boating, already having problems!

Introduce yourself here.

New to jet boating, already having problems!

Postby Imfishman » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:06 pm

First off, I would like to say thanks for such a great website and wealth of information. I am new to this forum so I was not sure if I should post this here or in the mechanic section?
Background: I have owned many boats over the years but all of them have been prop driven (I.O. and outboards). Always wanted to try a jet, but had no real experience with them. I recently took the plunge and purchased a used 2004 Boulton 22' skiff. The boat has a 496 Vortec 8100 with 180hrs, closed cooling, and Hamilton jet pump on it. The first 2 times I took it out was on a lake and the boat ran like a striped ass ape (loud and fast)! The next time I took it out was on the delta. It ran great, starting and stopping several times, but then I went to start it and sucked up weeds and debris into the grate which immediately caused it to loose thrust and revved the engine up high. I had a barge coming toward me so I quickly hit it into reverse to try to clear the grate, which restored some power and I was able to get out of the way. I shut the engine down and used a rake to clean the rest of the debris from the grate and continued fishing using the kicker. At the end of the day I went to start the engine up and heard an intermittent knocking in the back of the motor, as I tried to rev up to get on plane, the knocking got louder and louder the more RPM's I gave it. I went back to idle and tried to locate where the knocking was coming from. At first I thought it was a rock or something that had gotten sucked into the pump or engine water passage ways as the knocking was intermittent and sounded like a marble or rock bouncing around in the back right side of the engine. I could not tell if it was coming from the valve cover or the bell housing in front of the pump. I then thought I might have bent a push rod, but the sound is intermittent and sounds more like something rolling or bouncing around, not the consistent tapping that I have heard with bent rods or valves. I shut the engine down and restarted it several times, but still had the knocking sound. I did not want to do any further damage to the engine so I used the kicker to get back to the dock, took forever as I was about 10+ miles out. Anyway, I am hoping I did not do anything major as I do not have the funds to do major repairs. Any suggestions on what it might be, what I should check, or any suggestions of a good reasonable mechanic who has experience with these jets in the Central Ca region? Any help would be appreciate! Needless to say, not a good start into the jet boat world! lol :cry:
Thanks again!
Imfishman
Deck Swab

Re: New to jet boating, already having problems!

Postby Imfishman » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:37 am

FYI- I did not get any responses here so I posted this in the Mechanics section.

Thank you! ;)
Imfishman
Deck Swab

Re: New to jet boating, already having problems!

Postby lovetheedge » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:27 pm

Something stuck in your pump can cause similar noises if you don't know the difference. Since you sucked up a bunch of weeds I'd try this. With engine off, Try taking off the inspection plate off your pump and stick your hand down in the pump and feel around the blades for anything stuck in there, it could be a small stick, fishing line, what ever. If there is something there get it all out.
lovetheedge
Captain

Return to New to the site? New to Jet Boats?