Sponsor Directory

Tight turns

Introduce yourself here.

Tight turns

Postby Tyingflies » Thu May 21, 2020 10:18 pm

Hello gents. I was told by an experienced jetter that you can jam a jet in reverse to do a tight turn to get out of trouble at full throttle. My salesman for a 2018 thunder jet said it will wreck stuff. How exactly can I turn on a dime on a 12ft wide river and still stay up on plane?
Tyingflies
Deck Swab

Re: Tight turns

Postby Riverjohn » Fri May 22, 2020 9:56 am

Tyingflies wrote:Hello gents. I was told by an experienced jetter that you can jam a jet in reverse to do a tight turn to get out of trouble at full throttle. My salesman for a 2018 thunder jet said it will wreck stuff. How exactly can I turn on a dime on a 12ft wide river and still stay up on plane?

I am sure you will wreck stuff when you try to turn a 19 to 20' boat in a 12' wide river :Laugh1: :Laugh1: :Laugh1:
Riverjohn
Captain

Postby Ahusk » Fri May 22, 2020 10:40 pm

The answer is it depends. Mainly on what pump and bucket you have. It will not break anything unless Thunderjet uses garbage cables. Your salesman, I assume does not have a full understanding of how reverse works in a jet.

It works to get my boat to do an insanely tight corner or if I mess up and am going too fast. It is hard to control and would take lots of practice to do on a regular basis. Especially with a 20ft Thunderjet in a 12ft wide river. Where are you running that is only 12ft wide? Most creeks are much wider than that. Sure there are spots between trees but 12ft wide between the actual banks you might be better off with a jet ski.

If you are wide open as described in a 12ft wide river you need to seriously slow down. Most jetboaters drive way too fast for conditions anyways. Remember, you are way better off hitting the bottom than the bank.
Last edited by Ahusk on Sat May 23, 2020 5:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ahusk
Captain

Postby Eagle1 » Sat May 23, 2020 12:22 am

You can't.
Eagle1
Captain

Postby lovetheedge » Sat May 23, 2020 8:10 am

x2. A 20ft long boat can not turn around in a 12ft wide space. Backing up is only option.
lovetheedge
Captain

Postby riverboater » Sat May 23, 2020 10:26 am

It is a radical manover, the water depth is also important. You need rapid shift movement, sepparate throttle control, (foot works best), and quick steering (1/2 to 3/4 turn lock to lock).
So here is the way it was taught to me, When you find yourself in the wrong channel with the bottom coming up quick. 1, momentarily back off throttle. 2. decide which way you want the boat to spin and turn full lock into it. 3. At the same time you steer put the boat in reverse. 4. With steering hard lock and in reverse now stomp the throttle full open and released as fast as you can. This will stand the boat on its nose lifting the back 1/2 or more out of the water, the momentum of forward speed will spin the boat 180. Now you are sliding backwards on the front 1/2 of the hull at planing speed, shift into forward and centre the steering, the moment the intake touches the water, full throttle, and off you go in the opposite direction without falling off plane.
A couple things to practice, judge your speed so you only spin 180, judge how deep the water needs to be for your boat, reverse thrust must hit the bottom to toss the rear out of the water. 16 to 24 inches seems to be best. ( find a sandy bottom shallow lake to practice).
My 14ft v-6 772 did it easy, my 16ft with 350 and 773 also did it but not as easy. Same boat with BBC Scott 852 i have not been able to get the ass out of the water. My old 18ft 350 773 would do it but only worked 1/2 the time.
Keep in mind this manover happens in about 3 seconds, everything or person not tied down or hanging on is flying around posibly out of the boat. Check you have strong motor monts and your battery is well tied down. I have had issues with battery attachment.
Now you say, WTF not fall off plane! The last time I had to do this in my 14ft 24 degree vee I was in less the 18 inches of water and never touched bottom. The startled looks on the faces of the 2 boats following as I planed past them in the other direction was priceless. And it was handy having one boat floating as the other 2 found the bottom within 50 ft.
I Don't think this manover will work on most of our oversized boats, but light weight under 20ft, find some shallow water and give it a try. Gordon Ford, a renoun Kiwi boat builder that moved to town in the early 80's taught me how to do it. He made it look easy, took me some time to learn. And every boat is a new learning curve. When we get back to boating with friends, buddy has a nice 16ft, v-6, 772, I will try for some video. I need a bunch more practice to get the big block to clear the water, maybe try it at the lake on empty fuel tanks.
riverboater
Captain

Postby lovetheedge » Sat May 23, 2020 4:26 pm

Ballsy move
lovetheedge
Captain

Postby Ahusk » Sat May 23, 2020 9:49 pm

Pretty sure the OP wasn't referring to trying to pull an emergency cowboy in a 12ft wide Creek. With the right set up. Single lever, foot throttle or 213/241 style reverse you can quickly stab reverse, then back to forward all in a second or two and get the back end to set and turn sharper than possible. Go try it sometime in a lake. On both my boats it has worked. In my current boat with the 6 degree bottom there are a couple times it has saved my bacon.
Ahusk
Captain

Return to New to the site? New to Jet Boats?