Sponsor Directory

Jet Boat Newbie

Introduce yourself here.

Jet Boat Newbie

Postby Ampped » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:57 am

Just checking in as a jet boat noob. I recently picked up a 23' Boice Torrent. The boat was mechanically perfect but had to do some cosmetic work to get her looking good again. Having only owned small aluminum prop boats, I'm learning that jets handle completely different. I'm still a bit chicken of the skinny water too, not knowing the boats capabilities. I'm in Northern California near the Sacramento and Feather river so I'm hoping to find new fishing water that I couldn't access before with a prop. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Ampped on Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ampped
Deck Swab

Re: Jet Boat Newbie

Postby lovetheedge » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:19 pm

Get on a lake and play with it, pretty hard to hurt a jet boat. Practice moving slowly as well as on plane turning and braking. Practice backing up going straight and turning. Practice braking using the pump by putting it into reverse at different speeds, watch out when going fast you can send everyone and everything to the floor. Work your way up in speed. Learn to dock in clam conditions, windy and in the current. When all this becomes natural you will be ready for the rivers. Somehow learn to read river water flows and where to be to avoid hitting rocks, trees etc. Good luck

Added 12-23: I forgot to practice turning in place 45, 90,180, etc until you have made a full circle, do in both directions.
I'll add one rule for reading white water, the "V" is where you want to be. True most of the time, This is where the current is the greatest and most often the deeper channel. There are many exceptions, so local information is good to have. Wear polarized sun glasses so you can better see the rocks underwater.
lovetheedge
First Mate

Postby Ampped » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:25 am

Thanks for the tips! One question I have concerning maintenance - How often should one grease the zerk on top of the jet? I have the Hamilton 212 with the zerk fitting on top of the unit and have found conflicting information as to how often the grease. Some guys saying every 10 hours or so and others saying once a year. It would seem to me that Hamilton put that feature there for a reason but many say that it's a sealed system and frequent greasing will only blow the seals out. I haven't been able to locate any documentation from Hamilton on frequency. Thanks again!
Ampped
Deck Swab

Postby lovetheedge » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:03 pm

Very nice looking boat. You are correct lots of conflicting information out there. White Water Marine and Riddle who built my boat are not in favor of the added fitting. White Water Marine warned against over greasing, as it causes big problems blowing something out, I forgot what it was.
That zert fitting is not put there by Hamilton, it's an add on. Hamilton has tons of testing, if they thought it was necessary they would have put it on themselves. Call Hamilton they are very helpful. Also try their web page they may have your manual there. You will need the year manufactured.
Next time you have a mechanical question put it in the mechanics section, you'll get more responses.
lovetheedge
First Mate

Postby viking » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:04 pm

There can be an after-market add-on zerk on the nozzle bolts. However, the zerk on thrust bearing (forward of the hand hole / cleanout) is stock. My manual says:

1) Grease every 30 hours or monthly, whichever comes first.
2) Grease with a good quality lithium based ball bearing grease.
3) Normal operating temp is 120-130 F.
4) Do not overgrease. Use only 20 ml of grease.

Although sort of informative, these instructions aren't very precise, which is typical of greasing instructions. For example, if I don't use the boat for 6 months, I'm supposed to grease it monthly?

If installed according to the manual, the front seal is oriented "backwards" to let grease pass. So it allows pressure relief to prevent blowout, and you'll be able to see the grease escaping. The rear seal is oriented to not let grease pass (it tightens under pressure, rather than relaxing).

This type of "pressure relief" seal orientation is also used in Berkeley (and other brand) thrust bearing rear seal, and the bowl seal. So by design, if you're greasing gently by hand, seal blow-out is unlikely in a variety of pumps.
viking
Captain

Postby smitty » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:24 pm

Rocks, sticks, seaweed, sand. Embrace.
student driver - stay clear

shooting my mouth off on meanchicken since 2013

making friends on the rivers since I was little
smitty
Captain

Postby Ampped » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:09 pm

Thanks for the tech advice! Very helpful. I actually just received a response from an email I sent to Hamilton regarding the maintenance. They were very helpful, even sending me the entire 200 page manual. Viking you were spot on but what I found interesting is the operations manager for Hamilton sighted the 30 hour interval as you did while the manual specs it at 100. Either way, your explanation of the seal orientation puts my mind at ease. Thanks!
Ampped
Deck Swab

Return to New to the site? New to Jet Boats?