Sponsor Directory

Jet boat won't plane out with 4 people in it

Introduce yourself here.

Jet boat won't plane out with 4 people in it

Postby Waltb33 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:19 pm

I'm brand new to jet boats. I just bought a 19 foot 2003 weldcraft with a 4.3l v6 in it and an American turbine SD 309 pump. Boat has 289 hours on it. Today i had 4 people in it and couldnt plane out at all. Once we had two people it planed out but took longer than normal. I bought the boat thinking there was plenty power for that many people as I've seen the same motor in other (heavier) boats pulling people on tubes and skis and with the lack of power it showed today, pulling someone would'nt be possible. A buddy of mine said I probably need a new impeller, which is out of the question right now due to funds from buying the boat. I'm wondering if any of you know if there's anything cheaper I could try first. TIA
Waltb33
Deck Swab

Re: Jet boat won't plane out with 4 people in it

Postby d4570 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:28 am

The rpm's should tell you if it's the Impeller.
Check your intake grate first, I'll bet you find a rock or moss plugging a bit of it. It only takes a small part of the grate being plugged to make it foul... :Drink: BTW Welcome
d4570
Buoy Boy

Postby viking » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:57 am

What's your max steady RPM at full speed?

From a stop if you go quickly to wide open throttle, do RPMs overshoot the final steady max? If so by how much?
viking
Captain

Postby lovetheedge » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:17 pm

In addition where are the people placed all in the rear of boat or more towards the front middle. That can make a difference as well as the above comments
lovetheedge
First Mate

Postby Waltb33 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:57 pm

It's acting like it just doesn't want to hook up. I can go from a stop to full throttle and it will go above 4 grand and do the same thing as if I was giving it 2,000 rpms. And yes it over shoots it by quite a bit, not sure the exact rpms as I didn't try it too many times since I could tell something wasn't right. And I had the majority of the weight in 5he middle then tried putting everyone up in and towards the front And it didn't make a difference. I'm working crazy hours so I'm going to have my uncle take a look at the impeller and wear ring for me at some point but I looked through the clean out cover and didn't notice anything obvious from what I could see
Waltb33
Deck Swab

Postby Dawb » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:10 pm

if its over revving, youve got a pump issue.

Either something stuck in the intake grate, something in the pump passed the grate, or your impeller is worn and out of tolerance
Dawb
Master Baiter

Postby Waltb33 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:43 pm

Okay that's what I figured. I will be able to pull it all apart this weekend so I'm hoping for the best! Thank you. Also I had someone at work tell me that they don't think that pump and motor have enough power to jump up and plane out with that many people in it and or pull people with it. Any truth to that?
Waltb33
Deck Swab

Postby riverboater » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:08 pm

I would think it came with a B cut blade, swap it to an A and it will lift a bit more but suffer on top rpm. we played with the same package in a 17ft looking to improve the load capacity. After spending enough money without much improvement we finally swapped in a 6ltr Kodiak, Ya that did it. Funny thing, it burns less fuel than the v-6. of course the v-6 was WOT at all times compared to the 6 ltr at less than 1/2 throttle.
riverboater
Captain

Return to New to the site? New to Jet Boats?