Sponsor Directory

I hope to soon be an aluminum boat owner!

Introduce yourself here.

I hope to soon be an aluminum boat owner!

Postby boybadone » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:14 am

Hey guys,

I have dreamed of owning an aluminum boat for years now. I love the idea of having a boat that is durable, relatively light and most importantly rot free! I am finally in a position to buy one. Unfortunately, my budget is very tight and aluminum boats are not plentiful in Chicago. Luckily, I have found two within my price range (under 10k).

The first is a 20 ft 1988 Challenger Elite with a 351 and dominator jet. I do not have much info on the second yet but I believe it is an Almar Sounder 22-24' with 2006 135 Optimax outboard (around 2 to 2.5k hours). This boat was used commercially at a towing company and is well worn with a bunch of noticeable dents on the side. I will likely sell the Optimax and purchase an Etec 135HO prop.

Admittedly, I know very little about aluminum boats other than what I have researched. That being said, I realize these boats are completely different.

If I purchase the challenger with what looks like a 6 to 10 degree deadrise, I will use it on the shallower parts of our local river (Fox river). This boat seems to be turn key and they are only asking $7500.

If I purchase the Almar (20 degree deadrise?) I will use it on the deeper part of the river, lakes and the occasional trip to Lake Michigan. This boat is only $3000 with motor and trailer but the Etec will cost me $7000.

I know this has been long winded and slightly confusing but I would really like to hear your comments on my options. Will the challenger be too harsh a ride (the river can become congested)? Would you put a newer motor on the Almar? Is it worth it? Will the dents affect the performance?

Any insight you can provide will be much appreciated. Thanks!
Attachments
almar starboard stern.jpeg
almar starboard.jpeg
challenger stern.jpg
challenger stern.jpg (43.63 KiB) Viewed 199 times
challenger star.jpg
challenger star.jpg (51.21 KiB) Viewed 199 times
challenger star bow.jpg
challenger star bow.jpg (52.8 KiB) Viewed 199 times
challenger interior.jpg
challenger interior.jpg (31.82 KiB) Viewed 199 times
boybadone
Deck Swab

Re: I hope to soon be an aluminum boat owner!

Postby gordo » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:46 am

Out of the two,I'd go with the inboard. Gordo
gordo
Buoy Boy

Re: I hope to soon be an aluminum boat owner!

Postby boybadone » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:07 pm

Thanks, Gordo. Of course the inboard is sold ha
boybadone
Deck Swab

Return to New to the site? New to Jet Boats?