Sponsor Directory

new to jet boating

Introduce yourself here.

new to jet boating

Postby bluboy+local801 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:59 am

Hello fellas,
I'm new to the forum and just bought me a new jet boat well new to me wooooohoooo 2006 custom Weld 20ft cobra SE AT-309 5.7 liter
I have had the boat on the lake a few times to get familiarized its running good, with that said i'm going to be hitting the river soon most likely easy section south fork of the snake. i'm looking for a map of Idaho or northeastern Idaho that is were i will be most of the time looking for map that shows access points on the river and also map showing the rapids and there names is there such a map ??
also any suggestions on learning more about running the river in a jet boat, i have ran the river a few times with a friend and a couple guide trips, been drifting rivers for 20 years so i know how to read water (well i think i do ) were do i get info on flow, areas to stay away from at certain flows. Like i sad before in new to this and looking for all the knowledge i can get so i can safely run the river and do a little fishing. i'm a sponge so the more info i can get the better, Thank you in advance for any and all information.

V/R

Blu :Drink:
2006 20ft custom weld cobra SE AT 309 engine is 5.7 liter fuel injected
bluboy+local801
Deck Swab

Re: new to jet boating

Postby lovetheedge » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:54 am

Drifting a boat down river is very different from running up and down the river in a jet baot, though your experience will help you.I would strongly suggest attending either the WWW(western white water association) or IJBA (Intermountain jet boat association) runs the weekends of September 16 and 23 out of in Hells Canyon and Pittsburg landing on the snake northwest of Riggins. It is dry camping. These two organized runs are meant to show people like yourself how to run the river and to get many of your questions answered. You don't need to be a member to attend, but I recommend you join as they both take steps to protect our rights to use the rivers. You could bring your boat but I would suggest you ride Friday with a captain and then Saturday drive your own boat and follow the crowd if you feel comfortable enough. Having a CB radio will be very beneficial, almost mandatory as the captain can radio you what to look out for when you drive the rapid. Even a portable radio will work temporarily.
This is the way most of us learned running the rivers.
Its a great way to build relationships with other jet boaters. There are links to both organizations on this web site.
lovetheedge
Master Baiter

Return to New to the site? New to Jet Boats?