Sponsor Directory

Motion Marine 175 XR2 Starting Problem

Discuss maintenance, engines, pumps and related topics. Having a problem with your boat this is a good place to ask.

Motion Marine 175 XR2 Starting Problem

Postby tko125 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:54 am

I have a 1998 Motion Marine SX with a Merc 175 XR2. At the end of last season, after sitting for 3 weeks, I was unable to get the boat to start. I can tell it's not getting any fuel....I've noticed that the Fuel Pump is much louder when turning the key to the on position which leads me to believe that fuel isn't reaching it (would normally dampen the noise is my hypothesis)?

Possible Conclusions....
1) Fuel Pump is not providing enough suction
2) Blockage in in-line fuel filter (doubtful as I replaced last season)
3) Water Separator/Fuel Filter (replaced last season)
4) Fuel Line Blockage

Does anyone else have experience with this issue and have a recommended starting method or possible troubleshoot? I haven't had this problem in year's past...
tko125
Deck Swab

Re: Motion Marine 175 XR2 Starting Problem

Postby lovetheedge » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:04 am

I can't speak to your specific issue but it only takes one batch of bad fuel to plug filters, I would still check them even if you only put in one tank of gas. You don't say how old your fuel is or if it was treated or not. I would check for a good spark as well. With the age of your boat, spark plug wires could be bad. These checks don't take long.
lovetheedge
Captain

Postby smitty » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:18 am

1) while it is being cranked, have someone spritz fuel into the intake. If it tries to fire, then you know it wants fuel and wants to run.

2) the hose from the tank to the fuel pump: disconnect, blow air into the line, and reconnect. If you have fuel delivery and boat starts, there is something in your tank that is blocking the pickup. It will cause trouble until it is removed.
boat, motor, squirt nozzle
smitty
Captain

Postby Toddco » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:21 pm

If your 175 has the small filter mounted on the side of the engine, it is probably an issue. They are notorious for problems. If you have no inline filter definitely put one on.
I fit in nicely when i am completely alone!
Toddco
Novice Baiter

Postby bgilmlbz » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:20 pm

Had the same problem after mine sat for awhile. The fuel had evaporated out of the carbs but the oil didn’t. Carbs were full of oil. Pull the drain plugs and let the oil out. Turn on the fuel pump until you see fresh fuel. Start it up.
bgilmlbz
First Mate

Postby tko125 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:08 am

Really appreciate the advise. I store the bought at my mother-in-law's farm and haven't been over due to Quarantine. Heading over today and will give all of the above a try!
tko125
Deck Swab

Postby tko125 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:38 pm

New In-Line Fuel Filter and she fired right up!
tko125
Deck Swab

Return to Mechanics