Sponsor Directory

Carb help

Discuss maintenance, engines, pumps and related topics. Having a problem with your boat this is a good place to ask.

Carb help

Postby Hairtrigger556 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:15 pm

I have a 2000 20' Northriver with the Kodiak 350 w/ 3 stage pump. It has the 4 barrel carb, and is showing its age. I think I want to go EFI, but reason says if it isnt broke dont fix it, and just get a new carb. What would you guys suggest? :Scared:
Hairtrigger556
Deck Swab

Re: Carb help

Postby Akclassic » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:11 pm

I have almost same setup. There's not many options unless you want to replace your engine.
You could try a Holly sniper, or a port injected kit. The sniper is well over a grand pushing 2 by the time you add all the little things. The port injection kits are 3k+. I went with a sniper because I think that's within my skill level. And I'm adding forced induction.
The sniper has issues and I haven't even got it yet. Its been paid for for a couple months and still a no show.

The o2 sensor is an issue im not looking forward to. But the rest seems pretty straightforward.

If it runs well and you're not jumping around elevations much id keep the carb.
Akclassic
Boat Enthusiast

Postby bigcat_ak » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:58 am

I have the same motor. Throw away the Holley and install an Edelbrock. Runs much better IMAO. Injection is better with better mileage but not worth the $$$ for a kit.
bigcat_ak
Buoy Boy

Postby Rivernut » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:22 am

I would get a rebuild Kit or buy a Barry Grant (Holley premium carb). I like keeping things simple and reliable. The fuel economy thing is a wash at wide open throttle, don’t let the sales people con you.

http://www.wpsracing.com/camaspdeca651.html
Real Boats Don't Have Propellers!
-- Rivernut

Rivernut
Boat Enthusiast

Postby bmhughes » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:04 am

You should look at the quick fuel carbs. A 600 quick fuel would work great on that motor. They are really nice and you can adjust when the 4 barrels come in by just the turn of a screw. They work great in a boat . https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qft-m-600
22ft. HCM
bmhughes
Boat Enthusiast

Postby AEP » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:20 pm

I'll throw in my .02 worth. I have an 1988 351. I have modified it to 400 ci. The original carb was a Holly. It was mfg'd by Holley to Ford Spec's. It never worked good. One day I tried a 650 Holly D.P. ( Double Pumper). Made all the difference in the world.

If it were me I would get a NEW either 600 cfm or 650 cfm Holley DP. I like the DP because you can control the secondaries much better. Stock Holley DP come with 6.5 power valve. You might want to replace the 6.5 with a 5.5, however right out of the box you won't be sorry.

If you have a stock manifold you might try putting a 1" spacer under the carb. Sometimes this can make a difference. Sometimes the 1" spacer will not fit due to the top of the motorbox.

Good Luck,
Andy
AEP
Buoy Boy

Return to Mechanics