Sponsor Directory

Where is your o-ring?

Discuss maintenance, engines, pumps and related topics. Having a problem with your boat this is a good place to ask.

Where is your o-ring?

Postby stevenal » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:30 pm

https://files.engineering.com/download.aspx?folder=7fa99b1f-c70c-48a8-bce1-169da360d3df&file=IMG_0963.JPG

I took my 212 tailpipe off for the first time last week, and this is what I found. The o-ring was mashed, and distorted where it dropped into the cooling water area (upper left). The whole cooling water area was full of lime because it had been leaking (picture was taken after I began cleaning). Since I've had the boat since it was only 4 years old, it's likely it came from Jetcraft this way. The manual clearly shows the o-ring goes next to the wear ring, and the instructions call for the o-ring to be installed in the intake recess using grease to hold it in place. Just thought I'd put this out there, since evidently even the builders can get it wrong.
2000 20' Jetcraft Bluewater
stevenal
Buoy Boy

Re: Where is your o-ring?

Postby Riverjohn » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:12 pm

stevenal wrote:https://files.engineering.com/download.aspx?folder=7fa99b1f-c70c-48a8-bce1-169da360d3df&file=IMG_0963.JPG

I took my 212 tailpipe off for the first time last week, and this is what I found. The o-ring was mashed, and distorted where it dropped into the cooling water area (upper left). The whole cooling water area was full of lime because it had been leaking (picture was taken after I began cleaning). Since I've had the boat since it was only 4 years old, it's likely it came from Jetcraft this way. The manual clearly shows the o-ring goes next to the wear ring, and the instructions call for the o-ring to be installed in the intake recess using grease to hold it in place. Just thought I'd put this out there, since evidently even the builders can get it wrong.

4 years. I bet the original owner had it off for one reason or another and are responsible. The builders usually order them with the proper Impeller for the engine they are installing. They just need to remove the bucket to install the pump. So no reason to take the barrel off unless they run into a problem when doing there water testing. You also appear to be missing the cooling water oring? There is a small one that goes there.
Riverjohn
Captain

Postby stevenal » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:58 pm

Riverjohn wrote: You also appear to be missing the cooling water oring? There is a small one that goes there.

Thanks. It was there on the intake, just not doing much; covered with lime. I replaced it along with the other.
2000 20' Jetcraft Bluewater
stevenal
Buoy Boy

Postby Upacreek » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:28 pm

Ditch the o-ring. It causes more problems then it ever solved.
Upacreek
Forum Sponsor

Postby Riverjohn » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:37 pm

Upacreek wrote:Ditch the o-ring. It causes more problems then it ever solved.

Matt, Do you know what its intended purpose is? The only think I can think of is sucking air in if it does not seal there. If that is the case are you saying it is unnoticeable if it is happening? :Drink: :Drink:
Riverjohn
Captain

Postby Upacreek » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:18 pm

It appears to be a good idea to put an oring there, but years ago Roy was doing my customers impellers and suggested ditching the o-ring. He had many times omitted it and found no negative impact. I have since built up dozens of impellers and one very common thread to poor performance has been the o-ring out of position. The tailpipe is caused to be out of alignment, and an air leak is created. Or the o-ring is installed in the wrong location which drives me crazy. Either way I have improved pump performance in every case and have not had a single complaint or drawback to eliminating the o-ring. But most pumps we disassemble have very poor o-ring installation/fitment. Roy's comment was that two machined surfaces should seal better than when the o-ring moves out of position.

Damage to either machined surfaces need not apply.
Upacreek
Forum Sponsor

Postby Upacreek » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:19 pm

The water passage o-ring is always required at my shop. No exceptions.
Upacreek
Forum Sponsor

Postby jl8jeff » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:30 am

The O-ring in the 772 in my old sprint boat would get out of position when I did impeller swaps and it would cause a leak into the boat (even with new 0-rings). I finally used a couple dabs of sealer to hold it in place and didn't have problems after that. I'm not sure I would want to run without an o-ring or bead of sealer unless you aren't worried about water getting in.
Roughneck R1652VT with Mercury 60/45 jet
jl8jeff
Buoy Boy

Postby Riverjohn » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:35 am

jl8jeff wrote:The O-ring in the 772 in my old sprint boat would get out of position when I did impeller swaps and it would cause a leak into the boat (even with new 0-rings). I finally used a couple dabs of sealer to hold it in place and didn't have problems after that. I'm not sure I would want to run without an o-ring or bead of sealer unless you aren't worried about water getting in.

77 series and Kodiak stage pumps are different and should not be confused with the 212. They need that first O-ring and installed properly or water will leak into the boat. :Drink: :Drink:
Riverjohn
Captain

Return to Mechanics