Sponsor Directory

Cassell Marine manifolds

Discuss maintenance, engines, pumps and related topics. Having a problem with your boat this is a good place to ask.

Cassell Marine manifolds

Postby Zach Sanch » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:38 am

Anyone use these manifolds? I'm building a aluminum 5.3L with LSA blower on it and will be looking for manifolds in the near future. These seem super cheap though...

Lightning headers look sweet but 4x the price!

https://cassellmarine.com.au/collection ... -manifolds

Thoughts?
Zach Sanch
Deck Swab

Re: Cassell Marine manifolds

Postby mgrant » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:38 am

I'm looking at them for use with adapters for marinizing a Hellcat hemi, everything I read indicated that they were good quality. Considering the log style to keep it compact since the hemi exhaust face sits at a 45* angle, plus logs wont be much detriment to power since the blower is providing the scavenging.
OutKast 24ft with fuel Injected 499 Max Wedge Mopar, and a happy owner of a Scott 912.
mgrant
First Mate

Postby ATM » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:21 pm

With an aspirated engine those manifolds will melt between the exhaust flange and the manifold. Ask me how I know.

Ron
The POWER is in the PUMP
ATM
Forum Page Sponsor

Postby mgrant » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:24 am

ATM wrote:With an aspirated engine those manifolds will melt between the exhaust flange and the manifold. Ask me how I know.

Ron

So you have had a negative experience with Cassell manifolds? You install them with gaskets, or high temp RTV? I will ask...please enlighten us with the details ;)
OutKast 24ft with fuel Injected 499 Max Wedge Mopar, and a happy owner of a Scott 912.
mgrant
First Mate

Postby ATM » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:09 pm

Let me clarify, I have never used the brand Cassell. However I have used a design like them and burned holes between the flange and the log. The problem as I see it is there is such a long run before you get to the cooling water that it can’t suck the heat out. Aluminum melts at 1200 deg. F so you have to be really precise with your EGT.

Ron
The POWER is in the PUMP
ATM
Forum Page Sponsor

Postby mgrant » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:59 am

Gotcha. Sounds like the motor was running a bit on the lean side, also likely risking damage to the pistons, and aluminum heads if equipped.

Don't know about Zach who opened this post, but the setup I envisioned with the Hemi would utilize wideband O2s.

I can also see an issue with assembling with exhaust gaskets, which would isolate the heat transfer between the head and the manifold stub. I've always used high-temp RTV and never had an issue...knock on wood.
mgrant
First Mate

Return to Mechanics