Sponsor Directory

Electric Trailer Brakes

Discuss maintenance, engines, pumps and related topics. Having a problem with your boat this is a good place to ask.

Electric Trailer Brakes

Postby Tuna Cowboy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:31 pm

My tandem axle boat trailer currently has surge brakes on it.

Thinking of converting to electric brakes.

Pros?
Cons?

Do you do all 4 wheels or can you get by with just 2?
(NWJ boat weighs 4250lbs)

Any specific brand you guys like or dislike?

I already have electric brake controller built into my Tundra
2003 21' Northwest Jet - 6.0 Vortec - Hamilton 212
Tuna Cowboy
Deck Swab

Re: Electric Trailer Brakes

Postby Stumpy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:30 pm

I'll be following this thread closely.

I've had all kinds of trailers with electric brakes, and learned how to deal with the problems. They worked, and worked well. My newest boat has surge brakes. I sure as shxt wish I'd have bought electric. I don't know how to work on surge, and Les Schwab here won't touch them!
Stumpy
Buoy Boy

Postby Riverjohn » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:42 pm

Stumpy wrote:I'll be following this thread closely.

I've had all kinds of trailers with electric brakes, and learned how to deal with the problems. They worked, and worked well. My newest boat has surge brakes. I sure as shxt wish I'd have bought electric. I don't know how to work on surge, and Les Schwab here won't touch them!

Surge Suck!! Backing up :bash: Going down steep hills :bash: I have had electric brakes on my trailer for about 5 years. Way better than the Surge. If I were to get a new trailer it would have the Hydrastar Hydraulic brake system though. Uses your brake controller but runs hydraulic brakes off of and electric power unit.
Riverjohn
Captain

Postby Califbill » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:44 pm

Couple guys here love the electric over hydraulic. Keep the great hydraulic brake system, controlled by electric. I would go all 4 wheels. Both for the size and some places, like Canada require brakes on all axles.
1991 21' Jetcraft Bluewater. T-8, 350 mpi
Califbill
Master Baiter

Postby steelheadfreak » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:14 am

I converted, or should I say I paid a shop to convert my NR trailer to full electrics. When I requested it, the shop advised against it due to saltwater corrosion issues. I said this trailer will never be in the salt. The reply I got was, no problem then. I did all 4 axles and including parts, it was about $1100 (Canadian). The shop I used was super reasonable and all they work on is small utility trailers and boat trailers. They did the job in an afternoon. I did end up going drum vs disk as some of the parts are already there. As far as Im concerned, I will never buy or go to a trailer with surge breaks again. Its night and day. Way less maint and better on your drivetrain.
steelheadfreak
Boat Enthusiast

Postby Riverjohn » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:16 am

steelheadfreak wrote:I converted, or should I say I paid a shop to convert my NR trailer to full electrics. When I requested it, the shop advised against it due to saltwater corrosion issues. I said this trailer will never be in the salt. The reply I got was, no problem then. I did all 4 axles and including parts, it was about $1100 (Canadian). The shop I used was super reasonable and all they work on is small utility trailers and boat trailers. They did the job in an afternoon. I did end up going drum vs disk as some of the parts are already there. As far as Im concerned, I will never buy or go to a trailer with surge breaks again. Its night and day. Way less maint and better on your drivetrain.

I don't think you can get all Electric Disk brakes. I would have done that if available.
Riverjohn
Captain

Postby FlyLow » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:38 pm

Electric over hydraulic disk is sweet. I can stop in shorter distance with my boat behind my truck. I tested a panic stop once and it sure was impressive.
2016 Precision Weld 26'x9'
6.7L FPT 570hp
HJ274 14.3kw TURBO impeller
FlyLow
Forum Enthusiast

Postby army » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:22 am

last year I converted tandom NR to electric over hydraulic [hydrastar] discs. Last week discovered no electric impulse from hydrastar. havn't had time to troubleshoot.Any suggestions on initial and progressive troubleshooting? Any suggestions for a repair shop. I live in central Oregon but can travel
army
Boat Enthusiast

Postby bmhughes » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:59 pm

I didn't my trailer right after I bought my northwest. did all 4 . I bought 4 electric hubs and backing plates. cut all my lines off the trailer. changed the trailer hitch to a 1 5/16" bulldog . just cut off the hydraulic one and welded on the new bulldog. I also changed out my plug on my boat to a 7 pin so no more adaptors. run a wire back to the new hubs for a hot from controller. should be able to test on your truck which one is from controller. the other wire on hub is ground and just goes to frame. Its really pretty easy and not that expensive. :Drink:
22ft. HCM
bmhughes
Buoy Boy

Return to Mechanics