Sponsor Directory

remote steering for kicker

Discuss maintenance, engines, pumps and related topics. Having a problem with your boat this is a good place to ask.

remote steering for kicker

Postby irly » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:56 pm

Hi Guys
I have a swim grid across the length of the back of the boat and the previous owner had installed what I will call a turntable for an auxillary trolling motor. In order to do any trolling I have to sit on the back with an extension to steer it. It would be nice to be able to steer the motor from under the canvas at times as well. I see there are steering systems that are either remote or cable controlled that mount on the tube in front of the outboard. Does anybody know if all of the mounting hardware would get in the way when you fully tilt the motor and swing the shaft onto the swim grid? I have had a system before that worked on an ocean boat but the motor was mounted to an outboard motor bracket on the transom and always hung down. Has anybody have any ideas how a guy could rig up any other systems to steer from inside the boat?
irly
Deck Swab

Re: remote steering for kicker

Postby hilljackian » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:35 pm

Panther makes some kicker steering products you should look into. But of course there is the TR-1, which is the gold standard for remotely steering a kicker.
1984 Weldcraft, 24-FT, 460 Ford, Hamilton 1031
1996 HeliArc ProSport 20-FT, 350CID/340HP RamJet, Legend Pump *SOLD*
hilljackian
Master Baiter

Postby MTRiverRunner » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:06 am

Don't waste your money on a Panther. They are a pain and they don't work too well. Just get a TR1, the steering cylinder will mount right to the motor and won't get in the way of anything.
26 ft Duckworth Offshore Twin 225 Mercury V6 in build
24 ft HCM, LSA/212 Sold but missing it.
17 ft Wooldridge AK 150 Opti Pro XS
MTRiverRunner
Captain

Postby Tlineman » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:58 am

I just bought a Python System and will be installing it over the winter. A couple more bucks than the Panther but I've heard nothing but good things from other owners. The kit includes both a remote and a fixed steering switch.
Tlineman
Buoy Boy

Postby Idamainer » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:40 am

Question: Do I need a garmin fish finder and GPS to use the TR-1 Gold?
1999, 21 ft Northwest Jet Signature Series, 7.4l fuel injected, Hamilton 212 pump
Former boat 2006 18ft Jetcraft Whitewater, 240 hp sportjet....a rocket on the water
Currently from Henderson, North Carolina running the waters of the Roanoke River.....previously from Star, Idaho
Idamainer
Forum Enthusiast

Postby BigCSS » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:28 pm

No it works stand alone or with any nmea capable gps.
Team White Water Winnebago
BigCSS
First Mate

Postby irly » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:04 pm

thank you for the replies! I looked at the Garmin, they cost more than the yamaha did! It looks like an awesome system but I think I would have a hard time explaining that one to the wife
irly
Deck Swab

Postby gordo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:50 am

irly wrote:thank you for the replies! I looked at the Garmin, they cost more than the yamaha did! It looks like an awesome system but I think I would have a hard time explaining that one to the wife

It's a lot of money, but It's the best money I've spent! Gordon
gordo
Boat Enthusiast

Postby irly » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:26 pm

Damn now you got me thinking about it.......
irly
Deck Swab

Postby jilinda » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:42 pm

Tr1 gold by a mile,u won't be sorry!!!! :Drink1:
jilinda
Beer Boy

Postby NoProplem » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:58 pm

Absolutely get the TR1, the cost is irrevelant once you have it. Best accessory on a fishing boat you can buy..
NoProplem
First Mate

Postby irly » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:17 pm

Thank you, going to start looking for pricing now. you helped me make up my mind. I did mention it last night to the wife and told her all about it and she seemed interested as well . I just haven't told her the cost yet!
I purchased a Garmin 75sv last year hopefully it will work with it
Thanks again for the input
irly
Deck Swab

Postby BigCSS » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:56 pm

The nice thing about a tr-1 is it’s like having an extra deckhand, you don’t have to give it 100% attention so you can tie up rigs or re-bait. You do still have to pay attention and make some adjustments like throttle or slight direction corrections.
BigCSS
First Mate

Postby ROCKBOTTOM » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:34 pm

Ive had my TR-1 for 15 years.only had a couple miner issues but still works great. :Drink:
take what i say with a grain of salt and a sip of tequila,I might not know what im talking about
ROCKBOTTOM
Forum Enthusiast

Postby irly » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:57 pm

So i have a question for you guys that have the TR 1, from what I understand it comes with some preset trolling patterns, is this correct? So it doesnt have to be hooked up to a gps or is that what you guys are doing. So if I understand this you can set it to one of the patterns and let it do its thing or you can use the control and steer it from that. If you use the patterns does it work well ? So if you were to go to a new lake you could just set it to a zig zag pattern and let it go?
Sorry for all of the questions but it is a lot of money to spend and I want to make sure I understand it. Everything I read on Garmins site really isnt that clear
Thank you
irly
Deck Swab

Postby BigCSS » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:12 pm

I generally just point it in the direction I want it to go and then make course corrections or turns as needed for my environment.
BigCSS
First Mate

Postby NoProplem » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:59 pm

Yes, it can do zig zags, spirals etc without a GPS, or it just follows a compass heading. I think most folks just use it as a compass based autopilot, but connecting it to a chartplotter would allow you to navigate to a waypoint. Or you could just point it at the waypoint and press auto...
NoProplem
First Mate

Postby gordo » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:19 pm

BigCSS wrote:I generally just point it in the direction I want it to go and then make course corrections or turns as needed for my environment.

This is how I use it too.You need to use the throttle control to adjust speed to compensate for wind and current anyway. It's very easy to use!
gordo
Boat Enthusiast

Postby Idamainer » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:22 pm

While I was leaning toward a Panther system and throttle control, this thread has me leaning toward the tr-1 system for reliability. My previous kicker had a panther electro steer 100 which was an unreliable system period, I would hate try the panther t-4 and find that I wasted my money again. The main use of a remote steering system for my boat will be striper fishing on the east coast and the tr-1 will be attached to a 2015 mercury 15hp kicker. The Tr-1 seems to be the most favored and the easiest to use.
1999, 21 ft Northwest Jet Signature Series, 7.4l fuel injected, Hamilton 212 pump
Former boat 2006 18ft Jetcraft Whitewater, 240 hp sportjet....a rocket on the water
Currently from Henderson, North Carolina running the waters of the Roanoke River.....previously from Star, Idaho
Idamainer
Forum Enthusiast

Postby irly » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:37 am

Thank you to everyone for their input, before this forum I had never even heard of it. I will be ordering one after christmas. Thank you again
Happy Holidays!!
irly
Deck Swab

Next

Return to Mechanics