Sponsor Directory

LSA Fuel filter swap

Discuss maintenance, engines, pumps and related topics. Having a problem with your boat this is a good place to ask.

LSA Fuel filter swap

Postby BVK » Tue May 15, 2018 11:05 pm

I have a 2011 HCM with an LSA in it, I have attached a pic of the fuel filter, I'm not sure what brand the housing is but the filters are Aero Motive, and a bunch came with the boat when I purchased it (used), from what I can tell this has to water separator capability. Is it possible to change out the filter for something like this Sierra water separator filter? I know these LSA engines are very sensitive to fuel pressure.

Sierra filter
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/sierra-- ... _-DY-_-PDP

Here is my one and only fuel filter. ps. how to you rotate pics? tried to do it before up loading and still won't upload straight. oh well.
IMG_4802.jpeg
BVK
Deck Swab

Re: LSA Fuel filter swap

Postby kingmech1 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:56 am

You definitely want to get rid of that aeromotive filter! When they clog up they can take out your fuel pump and leave you stranded! You could call Matt at Inland Marine and he can tell you what he uses
kingmech1
Buoy Boy

Postby BVK » Wed May 16, 2018 2:40 pm

After doing some more "light" reading, it seems like Racor http://ph.parker.com/us/en/marine-fuel- ... 60r-rac-01 is the what to go, really hoping someone with and LSA and a water separator filter can chime in here and let me know what they have.
BVK
Deck Swab

Postby kingmech1 » Thu May 17, 2018 9:09 am

I have 2 LSA's and had problems with the aeromotive filters! They are not big enough and when they clog up they will cavitate your pump, when this happens the pumps burn out. I believe the parkers are what we replaced them with and i havent had a problem since.
kingmech1
Buoy Boy

Postby BVK » Thu May 17, 2018 9:13 am

Thanks for the info kingmech1 after some more reading it seems like the racor filters tick all the boxes with Flo rates, psi drop, and 1/2" fitting size, Im going to order one up and get it swapped over.
BVK
Deck Swab

Postby chariotdriver » Fri May 18, 2018 3:20 am

BVK wrote:After doing some more "light" reading, it seems like Racor http://ph.parker.com/us/en/marine-fuel- ... 60r-rac-01 is the what to go, really hoping someone with and LSA and a water separator filter can chime in here and let me know what they have.

Keep the Aeromotive filter, just move it to the pressure side of the fuel pump where it should be with a 10uc microglass element. If the pump grenades the metal fragments will get trapped in the filter versus taking out your injectors.

The link to the Racor filter is not quite what your are looking for. The correct filter cartridge is indeed the S3232; you want a metal bowl plus the head with 1/2" ports vs the listed one with 3/8" and plastic bowl. Can't remember the part number, should be listed on their website.
chariotdriver
Captain

Postby BVK » Fri May 18, 2018 7:38 am

chariotdriver wrote:
Keep the Aeromotive filter, just move it to the pressure side of the fuel pump where it should be with a 10uc microglass element. If the pump grenades the metal fragments will get trapped in the filter versus taking out your injectors.

The link to the Racor filter is not quite what your are looking for. The correct filter cartridge is indeed the S3232; you want a metal bowl plus the head with 1/2" ports vs the listed one with 3/8" and plastic bowl. Can't remember the part number, should be listed on their website.

This makes sense, seems weird that they would have built a boat with no water separator, I'll look at adding the aero motive filter inline down stream. They also attached the pressure regulator directly onto the pump, so that will have to be moved also as I understand that the pressure regulator must be the last thing in line before the engine. Your correct about the wrong Racor filter, I have been in touch with them and they directed me to the larger flow unit that has a metal bowl and 1/2 fittings.

Can the blue fuel lines be purchased pre made somewhere or are they a custom thing from a hose shop?

Thanks
BVK
Deck Swab

Postby chariotdriver » Sat May 19, 2018 8:23 pm

BVK wrote:
chariotdriver wrote:

This makes sense :flame: seems weird that they would have built a boat with no :flame: water separator, I'll look at adding the aero motive filter inline down stream. They also attached the pressure regulator directly onto the pump, so that will have to be moved also as I understand that the pressure regulator must be the last thing in line before the engine. Your correct about the wrong Racor filter, I have been in touch with them and they directed me to the larger flow unit that has a metal bowl and 1/2 fittings

Thanks

We could write a book about the items between the above flames.

Don't get spooled up about having the filter before the regulator, your LSA should have a fuel psi sensor on the rail and it will scream then go into limp mode if the pressure drops. I've been running mine with the filter after the regulator for over 3 years (300+hours). The filter will last a bunch longer as it will only filter what is being burned and not all the bypass fuel which is probably 90% of the pumped fuel.

One of the only good things concerning fuel with ethanol is its ability to keep the tanks water free. If you run ethanol fuel and keep it fresh/use it on a regular basis there is no need for a fuel water separator; alcohol facilitates the mixing of water and fuel. This mixture will go right through a fuel/water separator.

Have never seen the blue fuel lines pre-maid. Had some made at the shop with the smushed on ends and also made my own with the 2 piece screw-on-field-attachable ends. I went with the steel ends mainly because the stainless were 10x as much; if a little rust forms it should never make it to the engine since the filter is the last item in line to the fuel manifold.
chariotdriver
Captain

Return to Mechanics