Sponsor Directory

94 ThunderJet Antifreeze Flush???

Discuss maintenance, engines, pumps and related topics. Having a problem with your boat this is a good place to ask.

94 ThunderJet Antifreeze Flush???

Postby Nutmg1 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:09 pm

Hello,
I had to replace my heat exchanger and now I'm thinking I should flush and replace the Antifreeze in my 350 Kodiak. Has anyone ever drained the Antifreeze from a 350 Kodiak?

Thanks
Joe
Nutmg1
Deck Swab

Re: 94 ThunderJet Antifreeze Flush???

Postby Monkey Butt » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:10 pm

Small block chevys have block drains on each side of the engine, dead center, just above oil pan. Mine are 1/4 pipe plugs and used a 9/16 socket to remove. Others may have square head or socket head. Pull both to drain the entire block.
Monkey Butt
Boat Enthusiast

Postby Nutmg1 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:14 am

Monkey Butt wrote:Small block chevys have block drains on each side of the engine, dead center, just above oil pan. Mine are 1/4 pipe plugs and used a 9/16 socket to remove. Others may have square head or socket head. Pull both to drain the entire block.

Thanks that sounds pretty easy.

Is the best idea to just collect the antifreeze in a bucket from the transom and shop vac the rest out of the boat?
Nutmg1
Deck Swab

Postby Monkey Butt » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:57 pm

That should work. I just always throw a couple of the wife's best bath towels in the bottom and soak it up.
Monkey Butt
Boat Enthusiast

Postby Nutmg1 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:02 am

Monkey Butt wrote:That should work. I just always throw a couple of the wife's best bath towels in the bottom and soak it up.

:Drink:

I'll post some pictures
Nutmg1
Deck Swab

Postby Nutmg1 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:30 pm

Nutmg1 wrote:
Monkey Butt wrote:Small block chevys have block drains on each side of the engine, dead center, just above oil pan. Mine are 1/4 pipe plugs and used a 9/16 socket to remove. Others may have square head or socket head. Pull both to drain the entire block.

Thanks that sounds pretty easy.

Is the best idea to just collect the antifreeze in a bucket from the transom and shop vac the rest out of the boat?

Another silly question.

What is the proper way to fill up the block? Fill the in hoses at the Exhaust Manifolds and keep filling the heat exchanger until its full? Then run and top off? Or is there a better way to make sure its full prior to taking it to the lake and getting the motor hot?
Nutmg1
Deck Swab

Postby Prybar » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:49 pm

These are awesome if you can rationalize the $$%
https://store.snapon.com/Cooling-System ... 43141.aspx
Prybar
Buoy Boy

Postby Nutmg1 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:47 am

Prybar wrote:These are awesome if you can rationalize the $$%

Wow that thing is cool. I wonder if it would work with the exhaust coolers added to the system.

I ended up filling both heat exchangers from the top until fluid ran out of the assembly right in front of the thermostat and kept filling the heat exchanger until it stopped dropping. I then took it to the lake yesterday and ran the motor and topped it off before running it hard for about 15 minutes. I will top off the heat exchanger again to day and take it back out a couple more time before putting the boat away for the winter. They shut the lakes down around here on Nov 30th .

Nutmg1
Deck Swab

Postby Idamainer » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:28 am

Nutmg1 wrote:
Prybar wrote:These are awesome if you can rationalize the $$%

Wow that thing is cool. I wonder if it would work with the exhaust coolers added to the system.

I ended up filling both heat exchangers from the top until fluid ran out of the assembly right in front of the thermostat and kept filling the heat exchanger until it stopped dropping. I then took it to the lake yesterday and ran the motor and topped it off before running it hard for about 15 minutes. I will top off the heat exchanger again to day and take it back out a couple more time before putting the boat away for the winter. They shut the lakes down around here on Nov 30th .

Nice tool, I could have used that a few times on my own boat.
1999, 21 ft Northwest Jet Signature Series, 7.4l fuel injected, Hamilton 212 pump
Former boat 2006 18ft Jetcraft Whitewater, 240 hp sportjet....a rocket on the water
Star, Idaho
Idamainer
Novice Baiter

Postby Ak_Riverrat » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:43 pm

Cheaper version of the tool. Worked great on my car.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben-pa ... 3466sch01/

And they are pretty slick. I even still tried to burp the system after filling with it, but never did get it to burp.
Ak_Riverrat
Deck Swab

Postby stevenal » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:01 am

I use https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAJA1R8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 on my car. Just the little bit of added height helps get rid of air pockets.
2000 20' Jetcraft Bluewater
stevenal
Buoy Boy

Return to Mechanics