Sponsor Directory

SBC header questions

Discuss maintenance, engines, pumps and related topics. Having a problem with your boat this is a good place to ask.

SBC header questions

Postby Akclassic » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:20 pm

So I had a 383 build that's beautiful and been dyno'd and about ready to drop in the boat. However, I cannot under good conscious use the Kodiak exhaust setup. So I want to build wet headers out of short ss sbc headers. My theory is to turn them upside down, then find a downturn collector and weld in a water fitting and weld to the short headers.. anyone done this yet? I know I can buy them done, but they seriously want over 3 grand for a set... doesn't look to complicated to me, a lil welding and fitting and it should be good? For far less than 3 grand.
Akclassic
Deck Swab

Re: SBC header questions

Postby jl8jeff » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:42 pm

The biggest danger is if any water can run back down into the engine you could do some $$$ damage. I ran the Shoenfeld jet boat headers (they're dry headers) for a few weeks until I found a set of EMI Thunder manifolds for sale. I had a set of Glenwood log manifolds but in my boat they would have been a straight shot out the transom which was too much of a risk for water backflowing into the engine so I ditched them. If you don't run fully jacketed headers, heat could be an issue as well. I really don't think the Kodiak manifolds will cost much power and my 350 sounds great with the EMI manifolds which are similar to the Kodiaks. I have my Shoenfeld headers in the parts for sale section as well.
Roughneck R1652VT with Mercury 60/45 jet
jl8jeff
Beer Boy

Postby Akclassic » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:11 pm

Thanks for the insight. I was just wondering if I could actually tell in a blind test which headers or manifolds were on there...i guess it would need to be a drastic change to actually notice it.. maybe I should just use Kodiak in the meantime...
Akclassic
Deck Swab

Postby jl8jeff » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:03 pm

Are you going through the transom with the exhaust? Is the engine in a closed compartment? The Lightning headers or CMI E-top would be the best option if going through the transom, but like you said, they're not cheap. Any amount of exposed pipe will put out some good heat so it would need a coating or wrap to keep temps down. I ran the open headers just to get the boat up and running but a 2 minute ride and my head was ringing from the noise and the heat seemed to get trapped in the cockpit so it got uncomfortable really quick.
Roughneck R1652VT with Mercury 60/45 jet
jl8jeff
Beer Boy

Return to Mechanics