Sponsor Directory

SUV as a part time boat tow vehicle?

Non Jet Boat related topics and chit chat. Keep it CIVIL.

SUV as a part time boat tow vehicle?

Postby Dawb » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:51 am

We may be in the market for a couple newer vehicles.

My 2500 hemi is terrible on fuel going downhill empty. So looking for a diesel.

However, wifes tiny car isnt doing so hot and with expanding family, its time to expand the car.

She doesnt want to keep my truck as, well, as a commuter its too expensive. But we are jugglin the idea of an suv. the diesel would haul the boat majority of the time, but on those couple trips a year where we do 1 trip to haul the camp trailer to site, then come home to get the boat, it would be nice just to be able to do 1 trip instead of 2.

My boats fairly heavy (never weighed it), but I know its heavier than some newer boats of similar size. 1989 22" NR with a 460. Tandem 3500lb axles. Even at a max axle and tongue load it could only be about 7700 ish, buy im sure with trailer and fuel its probably closer to 4500-5000? in tow.

What are your experiences with suvs? And what would you stay away from?
Dawb
Master Baiter

Re: SUV as a part time boat tow vehicle?

Postby lovetheedge » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:46 am

I have a Jeep grand Cherokee and with the big engine it would tow your boat easily. So much depends upon your engine, transmission and towing package. I had a boat similar to your size and that is all I used. My new Riddle was too much for it's rated towing capacity. You can get your boat weighed at trucking stops for a small fee or for free at a closed truck scale along the road, the scale is always on. While at it measure your tongue weight, that can be more important if way off.
lovetheedge
Captain

Postby Dawb » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:10 pm

Not a lot of scales near me but i know weighing is the only way to be sure.

I see the diesel cherokees are rated for 7500. i dont know if the motors are any good.
Dawb
Master Baiter

Postby Jetdaddy77 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:32 pm

I have a 22' Boice, 4800# on the trailer, and pull it around town with my '96 landcruiser. I pulled it from Portland to Agness and back, once. I wouldn't go that far with that setup again. It did the job fine, but it was a lot of work to drive. It tows much nicer behind my '06 1 ton Duramax. Need a nice 9' camper now, and I can leave the world behind! :chicken:
'93 North River 19', Kodiak 350, 3 stage, and plenty of smart marks sold
'04 Boice Titan 22', Stroked 6.7 LS, Hami 212
Jetdaddy77
Master Baiter

Postby FlyLow » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:41 pm

lovetheedge wrote:I have a Jeep grand Cherokee and with the big engine it would tow your boat easily. So much depends upon your engine, transmission and towing package. I had a boat similar to your size and that is all I used. My new Riddle was too much for it's rated towing capacity. You can get your boat weighed at trucking stops for a small fee or for free at a closed truck scale along the road, the scale is always on. While at it measure your tongue weight, that can be more important if way off.

This is bad advise. Too much weight for safe handling. Accelerating the load is the easy part.

I towed a 14' trailer 1600 miles with a grand Cherokee with the 392 and it pulled fine but that only weighed 4500lbs and thats as much as I would want to go. The wheel base isn't long enough to make any evasive or emergency maneuver to avoid and accident. A brake controller would have to be added as well.

I am a diesel nut but will not be buying any more diesel vehicles that aren't one ton pickups. All of the emissions crap is really expensive after 100k miles. My wifes GL-350 bluetec is a great 27mpg family wagon that can haul 7500lbs but all the extra diesel crap is wearing my pocketbook.

Ford Ecoboost is hard to beat for a daily driver that needs to tow occasionally.
FlyLow
Forum Enthusiast

Postby lovetheedge » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:36 pm

I told him to get his boat weighted and that is bad advice. My Jeep was set up to tow and it was well below towing capacity and it had a brake controller. I also got my tongue weight as well which I told him to do. I also had air adjustable shocks. I doubt half the people on do all that. Before you start saying something you better know what you are talking about.
lovetheedge
Captain

Postby FlyLow » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:35 am

lovetheedge wrote:I told him to get his boat weighted and that is bad advice. My Jeep was set up to tow and it was well below towing capacity and it had a brake controller. I also got my tongue weight as well which I told him to do. I also had air adjustable shocks. I doubt half the people on do all that. Before you start saying something you better know what you are talking about.

I’m Sorry, I misread that his boat weighed 7700lbs
FlyLow
Forum Enthusiast

Postby akhunter67 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:48 pm

Easy there flylow if you say something lovetheedge doesnt like or agree with he get a little sore .
akhunter67
Master Baiter

Postby Dawb » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:25 pm

no no. my boat doesnt weight 7700... i was just saying with 2-3500lb axles and maybe 10-15% tongue weight, the MAX it could be total from factory was 7700ish combined. But im assuming its more about 5k combined.

its lighter than my 5500 dry camper trailer, but i havent hauled it empty since the day I bought it
Dawb
Master Baiter

Postby Dawb » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:28 pm

I should say too, the longest trips im talkin about are about 40 miles, and wont see 55mph. Anything longer would be truck towed
Dawb
Master Baiter

Postby Dawb » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:58 pm

Anyone have a tahoe/yukon or a diesel touareg? kinda mis-matched i know
Dawb
Master Baiter

Return to Off Topic Discussions