Sponsor Directory

Trying to get family and friends to commit to anything...

Non Jet Boat related topics and chit chat. Keep it CIVIL.

Trying to get family and friends to commit to anything...

Postby smitty » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:57 am

"I have to work that day" (they had plenty, plenty of time to request / take vacation)

"Have to spend time with the kids" (kids are 19 to 25, will likely be around for awhile, I'm going on 51, with health problems)

"Wife has plans" (she gets you all year, I just want a day or two)

I'm about to give up, and tell them eff you - no time for me, no time for you.
student driver - stay clear

shooting my mouth off on meanchicken since 2013

making friends on the rivers since I was little
smitty
Captain

Re: Trying to get family and friends to commit to anything..

Postby viking » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:35 am

There's really only two options. One: chat up a bunch of drunks at the local bar and tell them there's beer on your boat. Two: troll the fatties on the treadmills at the YMCA and tell them there's deep-fried twinkies on your boat. Otherwise, people like the repetitive comfort of lawn mowing, watching TV, and cows mooing in the pasture. Lots of 20 year old boats have less than 200 hours on the clock. This is because the owner is apprehensive about boating by himself, and because of constant suggestions that if we're alone, then "there's something wrong." Combine apprehension with "alone," and boats just never get used. Just do it, hey.
viking
Captain

Postby lovetheedge » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:36 pm

If you are referring to jet boating, many time these excuses are in place of "this does not interest me". It has nothing to do with you. I have the same problem, so I run 80% of the time alone so I can enjoy this great adventure.
lovetheedge
First Mate

Postby Riverjohn » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:51 pm

akhunter67 wrote:Reading thru the post all over this site it sure seems smitty has a proplem!

Hmm, Maybe this could have something to do with it :?: :idea:
Riverjohn
Captain

Postby riverboater » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:38 pm

That is the reason I have downsized my boats, I do most of my boating alone. Or it may be I am an A-hole and just have not figured it out yet.
riverboater
Captain

Postby smitty » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:12 pm

Riverjohn wrote:
akhunter67 wrote:Reading thru the post all over this site it sure seems smitty has a proplem!

Hmm, Maybe this could have something to do with it :?: :idea:

It's ok, Riverjohn. If you met me, we'd love each other.

riverboater wrote:That is the reason I have downsized my boats, I do most of my boating alone. Or it may be I am an A-hole and just have not figured it out yet.

I doubt that you are an a-hole, most river people are good - natured and would do anything to help each other out...

viking and lovetheedge, you know what I am talking about. I just need to man up and learn how to run my own show. Get in, enjoy, and get out solo

smitty
Captain

Postby smitty » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:27 pm

smitty wrote:.... Get in, enjoy, and get out solo

Dennis, Brandon, Peter, and Shawn have it figured out. Although, Brandon - I enjoyed meeting your dog (Cody)??) ... and Shawn, I enjoyed meetting your son (Alex?)

300club Brice - enjoyed meeting your wife and Rob.

smitty
Captain

Postby Eagle1 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:19 am

Smitty, You do what I do. After boating Hells Canyon for 34 years I just say I'm going to the canyon and if you want to go load your shit. It works.

Eagle1
Eagle1
Captain

Postby lovetheedge » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:00 am

Let them know how much fun it was when you went. Don't discuss scary situations too much. Make it sound like its something they don't want to miss, also let them know how careful and knowledgeable you are so it is safe for them to come, they can depend upon you to make it fun and safe.
lovetheedge
First Mate

Postby whee » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:48 pm

Do you really want your family and friends to come? I don't see what your talking about. I thoroughly enjoy getting out on my own and not having to deal with other people. However, 90% of my boating I do with my kids and I enjoy it a lot. It's not nearly as relaxing as when I get out alone though.
I'm brand new to jet boats so don't listen to anything I say.
whee
Master Baiter

Postby smitty » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:03 pm

whee wrote:Do you really want your family and friends to come? I don't see what your talking about. I thoroughly enjoy getting out on my own and not having to deal with other people. However, 90% of my boating I do with my kids and I enjoy it a lot. It's not nearly as relaxing as when I get out alone though.

Wow - whee, you have a very good point. Same with viking, lovetheedge, and Eagle1... it's all part of learning what to expect.

I guess I just featured boating as something exciting that I could share with others, who 'think' they like the comfort of arguing with the wife, or sitting in front of the tv or touch screen or watch the cows moo in the fields...

smitty
Captain

Postby gordo » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:37 am

I have a category that most of my friends fall. I label them TOO LAZY TO FISH ! Once they fall into this category, I quit asking them to do anything, and it saves me a lot of disappointment.
gordo
Boat Enthusiast

Postby seanster » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:24 am

gordo wrote:I have a category that most of my friends fall. I label them TOO LAZY TO FISH ! Once they fall into this category, I quit asking them to do anything, and it saves me a lot of disappointment.

I think you nailed it. I'm not (yet) a jet boater, but am looking for one. When I've had other boats and friends didn't want to go fishing because of the effort, I changed their name in my head to couch potato...lawl
seanster
Deck Swab

Postby Dawb » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:07 am

agreed. after a couple invites and turn downs I stop asking. Its nice to go with just one other person anyways. help with the trailer and lots of room in the boat
Dawb
Master Baiter

Postby whee » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:45 am

Life is busy. I've got a buddy that calls me about once a week to go do something. I am rarely able to go but very grateful he keeps calling. I always want to go and try to make sure he knows that.

I no longer plan trips around other people. I'm happy to invite others but the way I do it is to plan a trip I want to go on then invite people that I think may enjoy it too. If they don't come it's no big deal...I'm going either way.
I'm brand new to jet boats so don't listen to anything I say.
whee
Master Baiter

Return to Off Topic Discussions