Sponsor Directory

Flooring

Non Jet Boat related topics and chit chat. Keep it CIVIL.

Flooring

Postby Eagle1 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:35 pm

I'm thinking maybe of ripping out all the carpet and installing hard wood. Will the hardwood hold up to dogs if I place rugs all around.

Eagle1
Eagle1
Captain

Re: Flooring

Postby NoProplem » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:41 pm

Ours has held up really well the last 14 years. It probably helps that the war department owns a pet grooming shop, so the dogs toenails are well kept... :lol:
NoProplem
Master Baiter

Postby Great White » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:49 am

Depends on the type of wood, and how active your dogs are.

We had a 110lb Akita and a 70 lb Chow both with low energy in the house not a scuff in 7 years. got a Boston Terrier 4 years ago, and there are a bunch of superficial scratches all over the place.

We have Australian Cypress flooring which is harder then Oak.

I would rather have scratched hardwood over perfect carpet any day.
21' Custom Weld WWS...LS3/212.
Great White
First Mate

Postby whee » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:55 am

We've had oak hardwood for 6 years with a 100# GSD. He has marked the floor but you can't see it unless you are looking. You have to sweep a lost every day to keep from having dog hair "dust bunnies" but that will depend on how much your dog sheds. It is bad enough I've thought about designing a cross draft vaccuum system for the main rooms; like a welding table vent system. My kids are harder on it than the dog because they are always pushing chairs and toys around. I just know with kids you can't keep it perfect and it will have to get refinished in a few years. I'll still keep the wood over carpet.
I'm brand new to jet boats so don't listen to anything I say.
whee
Master Baiter

Postby m1ashooter » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:29 pm

When I bought our house, I regret not having ripped the carpet out and laying hardwood. Actually, she wants bamboo flooring in places.
Jetboats, helping guys like me meet chicks since, well you get the point..
m1ashooter
EL Conquistador

Postby GordJ » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:38 pm

whee wrote:We've had oak hardwood for 6 years with a 100# GSD. He has marked the floor but you can't see it unless you are looking. You have to sweep a lost every day to keep from having dog hair "dust bunnies" but that will depend on how much your dog sheds. It is bad enough I've thought about designing a cross draft vaccuum system for the main rooms; like a welding table vent system. My kids are harder on it than the dog because they are always pushing chairs and toys around. I just know with kids you can't keep it perfect and it will have to get refinished in a few years. I'll still keep the wood over carpet.

We have a Roomba robot vacuum that starts every day at 9 and parks himself on the charger after about an hour. Just a Springer spaniel but Roomby keeps up with him. It is amazing how much gets picked up every day.oh yeah, maple floors
20' Customweld
6 liter VVT
Hami 212
GordJ
Novice Baiter

Postby savage-shtr » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:05 pm

[quote="GordJ")
We have a Roomba robot vacuum that starts every day at 9 and parks himself on the charger after about an hour.[/quote]

No sleeping with the maid
savage-shtr
Captain

Postby pipedreams » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:04 pm

We installed teak last March. It has not held up well with a wirehair and a weimariner. Lots of nail scratches.
1977 24' Oakes
3 Stage Kodiak
pipedreams
Novice Baiter

Postby Eagle1 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:21 pm

I don't know what I was thinking but I could just install 4x8 sheets of Diamond plate in bright 3000 series aluminum. This will piss off the wife but it would look like a big jetboat deck and I would have snap on carpets. LOL

Eagle1
Eagle1
Captain

Postby BoatbyBrail » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:39 am

I just had an estimate on re-finishing our hardwood floors we have had for 15 years. Always have had 2 dogs and a lot of traffic. From what I was told, there is hardwood and "ahem..." HARDWOOD. We chose hickory and it has held up incredibly well. There are lessor hardwoods that look good but don't last. So even in hardwood floors, you get what you pay for...

I would only do the diamond deck if you could lift it up and stash stuff under it, or if you can't get your house up on step and need to keep the weight down... :Drink:
BoatbyBrail
Deck Swab

Postby heyjpark » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:04 am

I have oak floors. I have a cat, dog, and worse a 2 year old and a 6 year old. It has held up very well. It is finished in two coats of flat oil based polyurethane.

I'll never go back to carpet. When you sweep and mop your floor, its gross to think about all the stuff carpet catches that you can never really clean up.
Boatless
heyjpark
First Mate

Postby Lazy K-five » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:25 pm

When we built this house twelve years ago we put hickory in the kitchen/dining area. My wife hates it ... she says it looks good but hard to maintain; shows everything, chairs mark it etc. We put top quality vinyl in cabin a few years ago and every time we're up there she comments that she wishes we had that at home. Probably a lot of it is just personal preferences. We don't allow the dog in the house so can't judge that aspect but I'd think they might scratch the surface.

The stuff from Home Depot looks/sounds interesting for sure.

BTW we put Brown Rustic Hickory cabinets in the cabin and they are absolutely gorgeous, fantastic!
22' Duckworth Silverwing, 6.0 L, Hamilton 3-stage with Scott impellars & nozzle.
Lazy K-five
Forum Enthusiast

Postby holdmybeer » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:20 pm

Large (18 inch) floor tile in a medium light neutral color set on the diagonal with a slightly contrasting grout. Done for life.
holdmybeer
Boat Enthusiast

Postby SPP » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:28 pm

Im a builder by trade and there are difference in hardwood.Lighter woods show less damage,smaller widths more stable.Maple ,hickory oak areharder.Fir not so much.Bamboo is hard.There is snap together hard vinyls that are less $$ and look like wood and wear quite well.Lots exotics that are hard also.I have white oak 5'' plank in my house,a good finish poly is much mre durable than just a oil type finish,big difference.Have a 50 # hyper dog.
SP6x6
SPP
Deck Swab

Postby alicec22 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:44 am

whee wrote:We've had oak hardwood for 6 years with a 100# GSD. He has marked the floor but you can't see it unless you are looking. You have to sweep a lost every day to keep from having dog hair "dust bunnies" but that will depend on how much your dog sheds. It is bad enough I've thought about designing a cross draft vaccuum system for the main rooms mutuelles Entreprise; like a welding table vent system. My kids are harder on it than the dog because they are always pushing chairs and toys around. I just know with kids you can't keep it perfect and it will have to get refinished in a few years. I'll still keep the wood over carpet.

I too had the same experience for 2 years. I wanted to get rid of my cat, but in the end, it was he who won.
alicec22
Deck Swab

Postby shawn3434 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:21 am

Thanks to all of you for sharing such useful information with all of us. It is very beneficial for all who needs to learn carpet cleaning himself...?

Best Carpet Cleaning surrey
Last edited by shawn3434 on Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
shawn3434
Deck Swab

Postby FlyLow » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:20 pm

shawn3434 wrote:Thanks to all of you for sharing such useful information with all of us. It is very beneficial for all who needs to learn carpet cleaning himself...?

Well, your two first posts have been glorious nuggets of knowledge and experience. :bs: Maybe your third will add something of value.
FlyLow
Forum Enthusiast

Postby cathydeco02 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:59 pm

whee wrote:We've had oak hardwood for 6 years with a 100# GSD. He has marked the floor but you can't see it unless you are looking. You have to sweep a lost every day to keep from having dog hair "dust bunnies" but that will depend on how much your dog sheds Travaux dépendance seniors. It is bad enough I've thought about designing a cross draft vaccuum system for the main rooms; like a welding table vent system. My kids are harder on it than the dog because they are always pushing chairs and toys around. I just know with kids you can't keep it perfect and it will have to get refinished in a few years. I'll still keep the wood over carpet.

It's quite difficult to clean this kind of material. It would be necessary to use a super powerful vacuum cleaner so that it does it.
cathydeco02
Deck Swab

Postby Mark » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:05 pm

Hey Dennis, I've been in construction for a lot of years so i have gotten to know a lot of people in the commercial construction side of things. I pulled all the carpet up in my home about 9 years ago and replaced it with 3/4 inch hand scraped cherry wood. I then sanded it and applied a commercial grade sealer and clear finish for high traffic areas. I have 5 dogs and the floor still looks great. I recommend that you DO NOT use a stain as any scratch will show. Mine is Natural wood with clear finish which makes the grain pop out and shows the real beauty of the natural wood. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck By the way i will never go back to carpet Wife says hard wood is easier to clean ill take her word for it HA HA
Mark
Beer Boy

Return to Off Topic Discussions