Sponsor Directory

Getting Jeep unstuck from river mud

Non Jet Boat related topics and chit chat. Keep it CIVIL.

Getting Jeep unstuck from river mud

Postby mikemmm » Tue May 02, 2017 7:59 am

I stupidly drove my Jeep down to muddy river bank this weekend and got stuck. Never plan to do that again as getting it towed out was a pain. A rope on back of neighbors truck did not work as his truck wheels just spun. A come along to tree did not work as all it did was stretch the rope. Any one use a come along that work with pulling rope through it like massdam power rope puller?

I don't plan on doing this again but want to be prepared if I am stupid again
mikemmm
Buoy Boy

Re: Getting Jeep unstuck from river mud

Postby lovetheedge » Tue May 02, 2017 8:21 am

In those situations, use a chain not a rope. Start jeep, put into low 4 wheel drive then put it into gear using no throttle, then start pulling it out. I took a Jeep off road course, I was amazed to see my Jeep crawl over a log without me using my throttle following that technique.
lovetheedge
Master Baiter

Postby smitty » Tue May 02, 2017 8:31 am

Circa 1992 or so:

Four-wheeling with friends out of San Diego, found a mud hole. Friend Mike decided to risk it to get the biscuit. Ford with 40" mud grips, drives into "what amounts to a swimming pool of peanut butter"

Sinks to the axles. My Jeep couldn't pull this hunk of lead, which was firmly anchored to the center of the earth. Then, remembered reading recovery techniques in Four Wheeler magazine (my bible at the time). His truck had the nice heavy Smittybilt (no relation) tube bumpers front and back, and I had a trusty Hi-Lift jack. We ever-so-carefully jacked up the front of the truck, revealing the grave sites of two of the above-mentioned tires, and proceeded to fill the graves with rock, ranging from baseball to cantaloupe size. Essentially, we put firm ground under the tires. Did the same in the back. Re- hooked with my Jeep, and with not much more than a gracefully gentle tug, the big Ford was headed back to terra firma.
Attachments
stuck.png
gotta risk it to get the biscuit
smitty
Master Baiter

Postby rodmer86 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:11 pm

You can start by airing down, getting a shovel and wood planks. It is also a good idea to invest on a winch if your rig doesn't have one yet. Warn is the popular brand but a smittybilt winch is good enough and more affordable. Also, using a kinetic energy strap is better than a regular rope for a mud recovery.
rodmer86
Deck Swab

Postby SWAT » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:15 pm

Beautiful truck, is it still alive?
SWAT
Forum Enthusiast

Postby smitty » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:23 pm

Don't know, Mike gave the truck to his brother years ago. Had good times wrenching on it and going off-road.
smitty
Master Baiter

Postby Lincoln » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:47 pm

Big nylon rope like the bubba rope work the best.
1. No hooks on the strap. Sign of a crappy strap.
2. Never loop it over the ball. When the shank breaks it's like a missal. I do stuff the rope in the hitch receiver and use the hitch pin to retain it, my thought is if the pin lets go it won't fly with the strap. I haven't bent or broken one yet.
3. If it gets frayed throw it away.
4. Buy heavy. I run fairly light weight rigs, 4K at trail weight. I've broken 30k and 40k straps and ropes towing larger rigs. I carry 30k straps since I play in the rocks more than mud and snow anymore.

You would be surprised at what you can move with some throttle persuasion. This winter I towed a F450 bucket from sideways in the street to straight with a stock grand Cherokee. Took some bumping.

If you play much on your own a winch is a good idea. I despise Chinese junk but Harbor Freight, Shittybuilt, and others have some decent emergency winches. Even Warn has budget line. The are slow but will get you out.

Size should be double your rig weight. If you can swing it get synthetic line. Otherwise weight the line good and stay the hell back, I've taken a few guys to the hospital.

I'm still a fan of the M8000 for its size and price. 8274 if you are impatient and have lots of room. The 8274 is still faster on a double line pull than the M8000, it's almost too fast most of the time.

Another option is to use a high lift jack as a winch. Slow as hell but it can get you out. I've even used a hand winch. Double the line, push, pull, whatever.

And as mentioned, stacking rocks and brush, lowering the tire pressure, and boards all help and work.

And if you really like to be on your own in bad areas look into a pull pal anchor.

The biggest key is learning to drive and the rig. Most times you want just enough throttle to keep you moving. More will dig you to the bottom or halt momentum. Spinning usually isn't moving.
Lincoln
Captain

Postby smitty » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:32 pm

Lincoln, have you read "The Jeep Bible" by Granville King? Your post made me think of this book. Take it as a compliment
smitty
Master Baiter

Postby smitty » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:01 pm

Dennis, good to hear your perspective as well - now teach me how to run rivers
smitty
Master Baiter

Postby Lincoln » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:53 am

They have been reprinting Granville's old columns. I do love reading them.

But no and I've just been lucky to learn some on my own and to have friends pass down a lot of knowledge.

I grew up on the edge of the Bruneau and Jarbidge deserts. I learned a lot out there. I've logged over well over 100,000 miles on my own. Figured out a way home more times than not.

Then I got into rock crawling and friends have drug me across a lot of the nastiest trails in the West.

I've had a boat since high school and have had the pleasure of friends letting me tag along and try to teach me (No easy task).

And for some reason my wife still tolerates my shenanigans.

Just lucky.
Lincoln
Captain

Postby savage-shtr » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:59 pm

Or just use a Toyota.
Haha just funin.
savage-shtr
Captain

Postby arrgh » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:14 pm

I use a 3 ton Tirfor winch.