Sponsor Directory

Remember me problems

Having problems with the board or suggestions to make the site better please post your comments here.

Remember me problems

Postby Admin2 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:08 pm

It is a cookie problem if you are using windows and explorer. Other systems seem to be handling this function just fine. The fix is:

go to your internet options in your computers control panel. Go the privacy settings. At the bottom where it says web site click edit, type in http://www.meanchicken.net and then click the "allow" so it will allow cookies from the site. I don't know why Explorer is not allowing them. This should take care of the problem, if not let me know.
Admin2
Site Admin

Re: Remember me problems

Postby BigCSS » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:12 pm

Hey Trent I have Windows Vista and use Firefox. I checked to make sure it allows cookies and it does, but it still won't automatically log me on like every other site that has that option will for me.
BigCSS
First Mate

Postby Admin2 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:47 pm

Vista :(
Admin2
Site Admin

Postby BigCSS » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:06 pm

I think I got it figured out now.
Team White Water Winnebago
BigCSS
First Mate

Postby Admin2 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:07 pm

Oh thank you! What did you figure out in case someone else has the issue using vista?
Admin2
Site Admin

Postby BigCSS » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:12 pm

Even though I already had it set to accept cookies I went in and manually typed in both addresses. Then I started using the Meanchicken address instead of jetboatsrock and it seemed to start working. I will still say it is a pain in the butt to get pics downsized enough for use as an avatar though.
BigCSS
First Mate

Postby Admin2 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:20 pm

Why is it hard? How are you trying to do it?
Admin2
Site Admin

Postby BigCSS » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:24 pm

Remember Vista :roll: I can't get them down smaller than about 17kb, but I did find if I download to another site in that size then go resave the picture from there it becomes about 3.5kb which will work. I wish Microsoft would come out with some of the power tools for vista like they had for XP. The picture resizer was so easy to use.
BigCSS
First Mate

Postby JimW » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:27 pm

I do my resize in PAINT under the Accessories menu. Its fast and painless :)
JimW
Deck Swab

Postby Admin2 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:37 pm

Does the allowed file size and demensions seem alright to you JW?
Admin2
Site Admin

Postby JimW » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:44 pm

They seem to work just fine, take a peek at the photo contest.
2005 20' Weldcraft Saber XL MP 350 AT 309 SD w\stomp grate
JimW
Deck Swab

Postby mof » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:25 pm

I have Vista as well :evil: and have downloaded Irfanview again for picture resizing. It is a small program with heaps of options, esp when saving as jpeg, you have a sliding scale for quality, so you can reduce the file size, while keeping the picture size reasonable. Very easy to use, and keep your original in its original size and place. Best of all, it works on Vista, and it's free... http://www.irfanview.com/
mof
Master Baiter

Postby Bodofish » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:14 am

Just a friendly reminder about auto logon with cookies. I know it's just fun site but if you auto logon to all the sites you visit and someone is able to compromise your pc they will have it all. Identity fraud is assured. It's the nations largest and fastest growing crime. I keep passwords I use all the time in my feeble noodle and ones I use less in in a little book safely tucked away next to the guns in the safe. As long as we're visiting computer safety, all accounts should be password protected and guest accounts should be disabled. By all means, even if you're behind a firewall use the personal firewall on your PC as well.
Image Beer, Cigars, Fish'in stuff, Every chance I get.
Bodofish
Captain

Postby Admin2 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:25 am

Can you explain the personal and guest accounts better? Is it something On this end I need to know more about?
Admin2
Site Admin

Postby Bodofish » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:15 pm

Why certainly.
Personal accounts would be like your's and who ever else has a seperate account on the PC. So, when you turn on the pc if it's at least win2k it should bring you to a Crtl, alt, del screen or the one with icons and names for logging in. Each of the icons (assuming xp or vista) would a personal account and should be protected with a password. The guest account is one that should by default be disabled, it doesn't always happen. The guest account is a limited rights account that's been there since the windows NT days and was suposed to be for a generic login on the "shop floor" or where ever, on a shared machine. Before the advent of security in windows.
The best way to look at all the accounts on your PC is to right click on My Computer from the start menu or on the desktop and select "manage". From there the computer management console that will pop up, you can look at event logs, local users and groups, device manger, and disk manager........ Were concered with the "local users" so, if you expand it and look at the contents in the right pane you should see all the local users accounts on the PC. One of perticular importance that you would normally never see is the "Administrators" account. This one should have a complex password, min eight characters containing upper and lower case letters and at least one number or symbol. You can set a password on any acount by right clicking it and selecting set password. The administrator account is one that hackers will target because it will not be locked out after a number of tries and has full control over all aspects of the PC. This means someone with a password generator can keep trying new passwords till the cows come home with out being locked out. With a complex password they'll give up after a day or so, it'll talke them weeks to crack it.
Back to the other accounts, Besides the Administrator the only other accounts that should not be disabled or deleted is the "Asp.net" account (don't touch) and the users you recognize who should have a good password, at least eight characters. I hope that's not too rambling or confusing......
So jump in there take a look and if it gets too scary shoot me a pm and I'll give you a buzz. I have LD all over the US so it doesn't cost any more than calling across the street.
Bodofish
Captain

Postby Admin2 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:57 pm

Thanks, I know what you were meaning now. At first I was not sure. Most of the time I am on mac.
Admin2
Site Admin

Postby Bodofish » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:12 pm

Mac's are pretty cool. They do have some of the same vulnerabilities as PC's fortunately for you there are a lot less of them and there for a smaller target. Same sort of things go for passwords and web security. I'd even run a personal firewall inside a hardware device. One more fence. ;) As they get closer and closer in hardware design I see a lot more of them in the business world and a lot of the same problems. Personal security is totaly cross platform.
Bodofish
Captain

Postby Admin2 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:47 pm

Great! I am thinking it had something to do with using the other domain name.
Admin2
Site Admin

Postby IdahoFNFool » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:59 am

saw the title and thought you were refering to my case of CRS :)
It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt
IdahoFNFool
Beer Boy

Return to Board Announcments & Suggestions