Sponsor Directory

Steelhead numbers

Forum for hunting and fishing enthusiast

Steelhead numbers

Postby cromedogg33 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:40 pm

With yet another down year for numbers why do we continue to allow all the fish and game programs across washington/oregon/idaho continue to take "their share of brood stock" when obviously it's not working. They continue to hamper all the sportsman and change rules drastically each year.

Time to start reducing commercial fishing and start shooting a bunch more sea lions as a start.
cromedogg33
Novice Baiter

Re: Steelhead numbers

Postby NoProplem » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:03 pm

I've been saying for years, why do the DFW'S spend so much money hazing and sometimes even killing sea lions? There are plenty of people, myself included, that would pay an absolute premium for the chance to kill one. Hell I'd even try to eat the dam thing if I had to. But I guess that makes too much sense, and government in general doesn't seem to like that...

Any way, until wholesale changes are done with regards to fish management and habitat, I expect it to get worse before it gets better. I just hope there are some fish still around when my son is old enough to catch them...
NoProplem
First Mate

Postby Stormtrooper » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:11 pm

This is part of their master plan to blame the dams.
Stormtrooper
Boat Enthusiast

Postby On The Rocks » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:43 pm

Just read about how odfw just gave the green light to a non selective 4 day gillnet season on the Columbia with -NO- onboard monitoring of the catch. Oregonians pay a Columbia river additional fee that was in part, supposed to pay for monitoring of gillnet catch.
I don't know all the details about the Columbia river fisheries. But I do know fish and wildlife managers Do Not manage fish and wildlife.
At some point fee increases with less opportunity for sport harvest will = fish and wildlife managers managing themselves out of a job... I just hope the fish and wildlife can survive
1970 Oakes 22' 440 Raptor, 212
On The Rocks
Captain

Postby cromedogg33 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:05 am

I agree that one of the main reasons for the numbers is the non stop battle for the dams. All these "environmentalists" sure don't mind flipping their light switch and paying for cheap renewable hydro power.

Now if we could keep the farmers from dumping tons of chemicals/pesticides into the river systems I think that may help spawning grounds as well.

Commercial fishing needs to be slashed by HUGE numbers. If someone wants to eat a wild salmon or steelhead, go catch one. We export the majority over to Asia anyway.
cromedogg33
Novice Baiter

Postby hilljackian » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:09 pm

The greenies think wind and solar are going to replace the dams, which is delusional. I prefer the dams to all those tax-payer subsidized, inconsistent, "green" power options. Plus it provides much industry to the port city of Lewiston/Clarkston. However I would love to see the river and the fish returned to a more natural state for purely selfish reasons (i.e. jetboating, fishing). One nuclear power-plant would replace the energy produced by all of the lower Snake River dams without the environmental impact that the dam critics always cite, be as reliable as hydro-power and be superior in cost and reliability to the wind/solar pipedream.
1984 Weldcraft, 24-FT, 460 Ford, Hamilton 1031
1996 HeliArc ProSport 20-FT, 350CID/340HP RamJet, Legend Pump *SOLD*
hilljackian
Master Baiter

Postby NoProplem » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:41 pm

You're forgetting that nuclear is "scary" and "bad" so we can't have that.
NoProplem
First Mate

Postby seanster » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:19 pm

NoProplem wrote:You're forgetting that nuclear is "scary" and "bad" so we can't have that.

That is what happened to NMR - nuclear magnetic resonance. Peeps got scared that they were being irradiated (untrue....but a concern) so the med folks dropped "nuclear" from the name and now the technique that uses the same principles is called MRI (magnetic resonance imaging).
seanster
Deck Swab

Return to Hunting and Fishing