Sponsor Directory

Sturgeon and Circle hooks

Forum for hunting and fishing enthusiast

Sturgeon and Circle hooks

Postby whee » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:35 am

Anyone have the hookset figured out when fishing for sturgeon using circle hooks? I'm missing a ton of fish so I'm obviously doing something wrong. I know your not supposed to do a swinging hookset with a circle hook, it's is more of a raise the rod and start reeling...supposedly. I've started putting a j-hook on one of the rigs when fishing and I'm on the verge of switching to all j-hooks.

Any advice would be appreciated.
I'm brand new to jet boats so don't listen to anything I say.
whee
Master Baiter

Re: Sturgeon and Circle hooks

Postby falling rock » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:50 am

When fish starts to bight count 4 seconds then simply reel no lift or the hook will come out
falling rock
Deck Swab

Postby whee » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:59 am

falling rock wrote:When fish starts to bight count 4 seconds then simply reel no lift or the hook will come out

Thanks. I'll give that a try. After you start reeling how long before you know the fish is on?
whee
Master Baiter

Postby d4570 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:19 am

YUP DONT SET THE HOOK!
You will feel the weight as soon as you take up the slack.
d4570
Buoy Boy

Postby whee » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:17 am

I haven't been "setting" the hook. I've been lifting the rod tip to my typical reeling position (smoothly and not quickly with no jerking) and then reeling. This is the technique described on some fishing forums and YouTube videos...but YouTube certifications only get you so far :)

I'll try keeping the tip in the same position when removing it from the holder then just reeling.
whee
Master Baiter

Postby BigCSS » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:45 pm

Switch to J hooks. That's all I've ever used and I don't miss many sturgeon.
Team White Water Winnebago
BigCSS
First Mate

Postby Dawb » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:47 am

Ive missed about the same amount on both, but I fish J hooks 90% of the time. personal preference. some love circles, some hate em. im in the latter haha

I dont even think youre supposed to lift the rod, i think youre supposed to reel while its still in the rod holder. Youll know the fish is on cause itll start fighting. I do believe that AFTER the fish is on, there should be a typical hook set, but only after the fish is hooked.

I use J hooks cause i like the hook set part of it, it might even be the most enjoyable part for me. Ive only recently had to resort to a circle as I ran out of Js.
Dawb
Master Baiter

Postby whee » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:05 am

I gave up, switched to J-hooks and started catching fish. If I ever go fishing with someone that has success with circle hooks and can show me how to use them I'll happily give them a try again.
whee
Master Baiter

Postby Draggin up » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:26 pm

I tried circles too, went back to regular hooks after a lot of missed fish. Circles might work ok if your taking a nap while waiting for your drag alarm to go off. lol
12' Coleman canoe w/twin paddles
Draggin up
Beer Boy

Postby Rapid Transit » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:40 pm

I fished with a pro guide, who used circle hooks. when the fish was biting, we had to winde the reel 25 times fast without touching the rod ! then we were able to do whatever we wanted to do with the rod after that, never lost a fish as long as you did this, if you moved the rod, you lost the fish !
Rapid Transit
Deck Swab

Return to Hunting and Fishing