Sponsor Directory

Sturgeon rod recommendations

Forum for hunting and fishing enthusiast

Sturgeon rod recommendations

Postby lovetheedge » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:35 am

What a weekend out of Pittsburg landing with WWA. This was my first time to try sturgeon fishing and with beginners luck I landed a 7 footer. Took and hour and 23 minutes to land. By far the biggest fish I've ever caught.
The bad news is I broke my rod while it was in my rod holder. While pulling boat up the ramp and a tree got ahold of it and broke it.
This was a used rod I got at pawn shop so I am looking for recommendations for a new rod.
Any input is gratefully accepted.
lovetheedge
Captain

Re: Sturgeon rod recommendations

Postby whee » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:47 am

I'm a total sturgeon noob so my opinion is worth very little. I've been with guides fishing sturgeon on the Columbia twice; two different guides. Both guides used 6' heavy or extra heavy action rods that cost ~$20. They said they broke the more expensive rods just as often as the cheap ones.

The rig on the bottom is my primary setup: old Sears "Meat Rod" and a Penn Squall 30. The rig on the top is a Shakespeare Sturdy Stick ($21) and some cheap reel. Caught a 10' sturgeon on the Sturdy Stick with no problems. 80lb spider wire on both reels.
Attachments
image.jpg
Last edited by whee on Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm brand new to jet boats so don't listen to anything I say.
whee
First Mate

Postby Fishbucket » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:01 am

I have been doing this a long time and recommend a 12' extra heavy ugly stick with a penn 330 or equivalent with 150 lb braid main line. The penn 330's can be hard to find but there are plenty of equivalents. The longer rod gives you plenty of fighting flex which limits hooks slipping out since they are barbless. The 150 lb braid line almost eliminates break offs unless it rubs on the edge of your boat or something. It also pulls out of snags better which is good for the fish. So there is not broken baited gear floating around on the bottom. I catch a ton of fish that have lighter monofilament gear hanging out of their butts from broken off lines and broken snags they pick up. I always hope those fish can live through having that crap gear stuck in their belly but not really sure.

This setup might be a little more expensive but better for you and the fish in my opinion
Fishbucket
Beer Boy

Postby lovetheedge » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:25 pm

Thanks for the input, I have a Penn 309 and it did well. It was a 12 foot ugly stick that I broke. I found the lower section of the rod so long it was difficult to get up to the reel to wind the line, I would have liked to cut off about a foot from the bottom of the rod and it would have been more user friendly. Not sure of the impact of having a shorter lower end would have.
I used 50 lb mono, I guess I may need to increase that based upon what you all have said.
lovetheedge
Captain

Postby Spud » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:41 pm

You might check with the parent company of Ugly stick, Shakespeare. At one time they had a lifetime warranty on their rods. Not sure if they still offer that.
22' TJ Hardtop;Center stick snub nose;8.1HO;H212;T8
Spud
First Mate

Postby whee » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:05 pm

My brother broke both his ugly sticks while paddle fishing last year. Called ugly stick and they now need the purchase receipt. No receipt no warranty is what they told him.
I'm brand new to jet boats so don't listen to anything I say.
whee
First Mate

Postby lovetheedge » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:13 pm

Warranty is good for original purchaser and for 7 years, no life time, that's what web site says.
lovetheedge
Captain

Postby lovetheedge » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:55 pm

Okay. I got myself a 12 foot ugly stick for casting reel today, same one I had before.
Any suggestions for a Gimbal fighting belt?
lovetheedge
Captain

Postby Hell Yes » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:15 pm

Watch out for those trees, the roots are long enough they seldom get away!!! :Laugh1: Ask me how i know this.I use a $40 surf rod and a penn open face saltwater reel. #80 mono. Use steel hooks not stainless. Steel will rust away.
Hell Yes
El Diablo

Postby 1rug » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:22 pm

hi all just caught my first sturgeon with rodbenders extreme out of kill hill very nice guide name of Frank Ferry it was a blast took all my kids first time I've had them all together in 20 years
1rug
Buoy Boy

Return to Hunting and Fishing