Sponsor Directory

Sturgeon on the snake

Forum for hunting and fishing enthusiast

Sturgeon on the snake

Postby OLblue » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:05 pm

This is what I call sturgeon season for me. I have always noticed a larger catch total around the spring time here. I live in Jerome I have a few spots that I go to often and do pretty well. If anyone is interested and wants to introduce new people into sturgeon fishing I wouldn't mind sharing a few secrets and spots I have done pretty well before. Also wouldn't mind some sharing some spots also it's always fun to catch a big sturgeon.
99' custom weld storm 21ft 350/309
80' 23ft 455/773
OLblue
Deck Swab

Re: Sturgeon on the snake

Postby lovetheedge » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:10 am

I am planning on going to the Glenns Ferry run next weekend with WWA. I hope to give sturgeon fishing a go there. I will see what happens, hopefully I luck into a hole. Never done it there before.
lovetheedge
First Mate

Postby OLblue » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:02 am

Last weekend we landed 10 on that stretch of river two over 7 ft one over 8 ft. So all around a good day caught some in the 4 foot range that were great for the women and people first learning. I would be happy to share what worked and where with a PM
80' 23ft 455/773
OLblue
Deck Swab

Postby Muleys » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:15 am

I also plan on going next weekend to try and catch one on that stretch.
2006 HCM 22' Rush, Raptor 575, 212 "Lip Ripper"
Muleys
Beer Boy

Postby lostabigone » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:31 pm

OLblue wrote:This is what I call sturgeon season for me. I have always noticed a larger catch total around the spring time here. I live in Jerome I have a few spots that I go to often and do pretty well. If anyone is interested and wants to introduce new people into sturgeon fishing I wouldn't mind sharing a few secrets and spots I have done pretty well before. Also wouldn't mind some sharing some spots also it's always fun to catch a big sturgeon.

I am working on my boat right now but would like to try it out by you in a bit when I am done. I fish sturge by the A.F. dam a lot but right now its no bait. The river is going up by me right now at 16k what flows do you fish.
Jim
lostabigone
Deck Swab

Postby OLblue » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:52 pm

I really like to go below bliss when it's 10,000 or lower, I fish quite alot above clover Creek so way down river. If I don't want to be gone all day I will get down to auger falls above Niagra we do pretty well there it's just skinny water in one spot. And it needs to be around 2000 cfs at twin falls but much over 4,000 it gets harder to fish and to go up there due to the rocks and the canyon where it fell off and went into the river. We mostly use morts but have had good luck with calamari also.
80' 23ft 455/773
OLblue
Deck Swab

Postby whee » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:35 pm

Any secrets you guys a willing to share would be much appreciated. I spent a bunch of time in Twin last summer and fished frequently. Found some spots that even I could catch fish but no where near having 10 fish days. Spend three days above King Hill and caught 3 fish. :-?

I found some spots above Niagara I liked. I tried that big pool below Auger but I didn't like the swirling currents and never had any luck. There is a nasty rock garden above Niagara, maybe 1/4mi, with tons of rocks that don't mark. I always idled through that section. Several times I went up there it was around 1000cfs, actually just above 500 one of the days, and I liked how it fished. Last time I went flows were 6000cfs and I didn't like how it fished so I didn't go back because the flows stayed up till I left the area.

Pillar falls is busy but it is ok for a quickie. I always had a good time with the kids there.

Never fished the Hagarman reach because at my skill level it is too rough to run with my kids. We ran most of the river between Upper Salmon Falls Res and Pillar falls, minus the section between Kanaka rapid and the rapid below Niagara.

Only thing I could catch fish on was Squid sturgeon candy.
I'm brand new to jet boats so don't listen to anything I say.
whee
Master Baiter

Postby OLblue » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:53 pm

Squid sturgeon candy works good sometimes but we catch alot more using morts. Simleries in Wendell has a good supply and like @2.50 a bag. WinCo has large box of whole calamari that we use and will put raw shrimp on the hook too, magic thread that stretches helps hold the calamari straight.
That rock garden can be rough I idle through it also then go left side going up it gets skinny but not too bad, and you need to have heavy weights I make my own triangle lead weights I have a mold that does 8oz and 10oz then another that does 12 oz way cheaper than $3.50 each.

On the morts we hook through the back behind the dorsal fin one side to the other then wrap around and do the same again but in front of the dorsal fin. Then finish the hook behind the head next to the back and the point through the top of the head. We also put a half hitch in the tail and keep it 3 feet from the swivel.
I also use rather large poles 12 foot ugly sticks Penn squal 30's with 50 pound mono or 80lb braid mostly mono the stretch helps with forgiveness. Sometimes you have to cast long and the length really helps. Below bliss we usually have two boats so that is a two boat total. But auger we have done a 21 fish day between two boats. Auger has smaller fish but easier to catch.
80' 23ft 455/773
OLblue
Deck Swab

Postby IDXCJUNKIE » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:56 am

Hi, My daughter and I were on a mission to catch a sturgeon last summer. We finally landed a nice 6 footer after 4 times out a few weeks ago. We are now in search of other places to go. I was looking into the hole below Auger Falls. Can anyone help me find the boat launch for this section? I see two on my maps, but appear to be on private land? Any help would be great. Thanks! Jim
IDXCJUNKIE
Deck Swab

Postby Lincoln » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:43 pm

Nigra srings fish hatchery is the one I usually use, it can be really mossy and the islands up stream are a rock garden in lower flows.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wende ... !1e3?hl=en

There is a new landslide down there as well. I haven't driven it.
Lincoln
Captain

Postby OLblue » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:11 pm

Launch from Niagra the ramp isn't too bad, kinda short there is a rock just straight out from the launch you need to look for maybe 30 feet out then go slow up river till you see a pipe and you will notice the water gets to like 12-15 feet after that. Then the islands can be tricky I slow way down almost a crawl and go to the left. It gets kinda tight through there almost like a canal. And then the new slide isn't bad to go around far right bank. But watch out for the island in the middle of the river past the pump house on the left. And then I always go left of the last island before auger. But in the middle of that is a rock to watch for. I go down there alot. It's close to my house if you want to go down sometime. Anything below 1000 cfs at twin falls for flows I usually rub a rock or two coming down
80' 23ft 455/773
OLblue
Deck Swab

Return to Hunting and Fishing