Sponsor Directory

Caught on video, fishing boat run over

Show us your boat and where you use it.

Caught on video, fishing boat run over

Postby lovetheedge » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:08 pm

On Aug 12, 17 at the mouth of the Columbia river a 20ft fishing boat was run over by a 31ft powerboat. Life jackets saved their lives even if not mentioned in article. All caught on video.
https://nypost.com/2018/01/17/fisherman ... -on-video/
lovetheedge
First Mate

Re: Caught on video, fishing boat run over

Postby NoProplem » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:19 pm

2 of 3 not wearing a life jacket, the lady who was wearing, hers did not inflate...not sure how they were saved by PFD...
NoProplem
Master Baiter

Postby Riverjohn » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:34 pm

lovetheedge wrote:On Aug 12, 17 at the mouth of the Columbia river a 20ft fishing boat was run over by a 31ft powerboat. Life jackets saved their lives even if not mentioned in article. All caught on video.
https://nypost.com/2018/01/17/fisherman ... -on-video/

On the Way to the Fish Boat Scrap Yard.
Riverjohn
Captain

Postby NoProplem » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:36 pm

Scary situation for sure. The old man running the bayliner doesn't think he should be sued because "they werent hurt that bad". Hope he never operates a boat/car/whatever again...
NoProplem
Master Baiter

Postby lovetheedge » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:20 pm

I took another look and yes before crash only lady had life jacket, men did not, but they did in last of video. Only half ass excuse is I am on pain meds for my hip replacement.
How did you know women's life jacket did not inflate? At the end, the two guys were wearing inflatable jackets which were made by Onyk(?) which was an advertiser for the video, see bottom of beginning of video.
I am currently in market for a non inflatable jacket. I am looking at fishing jackets for Kayak'ers , lots of freedom of movement plus pockets on the front.
Last edited by lovetheedge on Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lovetheedge
First Mate

Postby NoProplem » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:28 pm

lovetheedge wrote:I took another look and yes before crash only lady had life jackets, men did not, but did in last of video. Only half ass excuse is I am on pain meds for my hip replacement.
How did you know women's life jacket did not inflate? I am currently in market for a non inflatable jacket. I am looking at fishing jackets for Kayakers , lots of freedom of movement plus pockets on the front.

I only know that from conversation with someone who was there and stood by to be part of the rescue. The crash was discussed on Ifish quite a bit back when it first happened...
NoProplem
Master Baiter

Postby Hell Yes » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:43 pm

A good example as too needing life jackets in a second even if the boat does not sink. I personally do not trust the auto inflates, if i go into the water i want one that is ready to go.
Hell Yes
El Diablo

Postby smitty » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:05 pm

0:27 - the offending boat's prop slice marks
student driver - stay clear
smitty
Captain

Postby smitty » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:11 pm

lovetheedge wrote:... Only half ass excuse is I am on pain meds for my hip replacement.......

Wishing you a speedy recovery, sir!! Soon you will be running around like that LSA in your awesome boat!!!
student driver - stay clear
smitty
Captain

Postby GordJ » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:16 am

Hell Yes wrote:A good example as too needing life jackets in a second even if the boat does not sink. I personally do not trust the auto inflates, if i go into the water i want one that is ready to go.

I hope that you don’t hit your head on the way in. The auto’s have a tag to pull just like the manuals but if you’re out cold you’ll wish you had the auto’s.
20' Customweld
6 liter VVT
Hami 212
GordJ
Novice Baiter

Postby BigCSS » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:27 am

GordJ wrote:
Hell Yes wrote:A good example as too needing life jackets in a second even if the boat does not sink. I personally do not trust the auto inflates, if i go into the water i want one that is ready to go.

I hope that you don’t hit your head on the way in. The auto’s have a tag to pull just like the manuals but if you’re out cold you’ll wish you had the auto’s.

I believe he is referring to he would rather have a regular life jacket on, that way he doesn't have to worry if it inflates or not.
Team White Water Winnebago
BigCSS
First Mate

Postby Ahusk » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:35 am

I quit wearing inflatables after , I believe it was a sheriff's deputy, told me how difficult it was to swim in one. I have one with an expired cartridge that I keep meaning to test out by jumping in but I always forget to throw it in the boat when we go out.
Ahusk
First Mate

Postby Hell Yes » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:15 am

Yes i was meaning a class 5 non inflatable. Now they have auto inflates, they are supposed to inflate when they get wet. they also have a pull tag.. the first version had the pull tag only. i know of one incident in Hells Canyon when a boat was pinned in Wild sheep and the driver knew he had to go in the water to get to shore, He put a inflatable on over his class 5 and when it inflated it about killed him by suffication. So they can work .
Hell Yes
El Diablo

Postby GordJ » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:55 pm

Hell Yes wrote:Yes i was meaning a class 5 non inflatable. Now they have auto inflates, they are supposed to inflate when they get wet. they also have a pull tag.. the first version had the pull tag only. i know of one incident in Hells Canyon when a boat was pinned in Wild sheep and the driver knew he had to go in the water to get to shore, He put a inflatable on over his class 5 and when it inflated it about killed him by suffication. So they can work .

Sorry, I misunderstood but it still stands that the autos are better IMO than the manuals. And , yes , you can’t wear your inflatable under anything either.
20' Customweld
6 liter VVT
Hami 212
GordJ
Novice Baiter

Postby Hell Yes » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:11 pm

Mine does not need to inflate. The inflatables are small and convienent but are betting your life on a little CO2 canister and the o ring.
Hell Yes
El Diablo

Return to Jet Boat Photo and Video Gallery