Sponsor Directory

old or new

Show us your boat and where you use it.

Re: old or new

Postby Hcm360 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:50 am

The stick is in right hand!! Well I can say that the 20’ Hcm is the most nimble boat I have ever driven and I’m probably making a mistake selling!
Hcm360
Beer Boy

Postby Riverjohn » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:34 pm

Hcm360 wrote:The stick is in right hand!! Well I can say that the 20’ Hcm is the most nimble boat I have ever driven and I’m probably making a mistake selling!

Unfortunatly Right is Wrong and Left is Right (as in Correct) :Laugh1: :Laugh1: With that being said though I am sure that after less than a day a person would be totally comfortable with the opposite of what they were used to using. I would never consider not getting a boat because it had Opposite handed Stick Steer from what I was used to. :Drink:
Riverjohn
Captain

Postby viking » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:46 pm

Indeed. Except that my antique Duckworth twin is left hand...
viking
Captain

Postby Riverjohn » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:48 pm

viking wrote:Indeed. Except that my antique Duckworth twin is left hand...

My Antique Wooldridge is Left (Correct) hand also. Which I do like :Drink:
Riverjohn
Captain

Postby lovetheedge » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:11 pm

Regarding if a boat is worth $100,000 is really a personal opinion. For me I have realized life is short, in fact I have had health issues that nearly cost me my life, in one case I actually died and came back. In addition I beat incurable stage 4a cancer. I have a different perspective on what I do with the extra years given me. I have learned life is too short not to enjoy it. I worked too hard for my money only for it to be given to my kids. I can tell you my kids would have no problem buying a new toy with my money. A while back I had a person on boat while my son was there, he asked wasn't it a lot of money for the boat and my reply was I don't know ask him pointing to my son, its his money I am spending. Money is a tool, I now choose to use it to enjoy life to the fullest.
Viking is clearly yearning for a different boat, be it new or used. He has no family responsibilities I know of. I encourage him to enjoy life and if he gets a used boat, that doesn't quite match up to what he can afford, it will always have some level of disappointment connected to it. It was that thinking that led me to get a bigger engine than what my builder recommended, I wanted no level of disappointment in this boat. If one has the money and is not using it, it might as well be in the toilet.
Last edited by lovetheedge on Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lovetheedge
First Mate

Postby Stormtrooper » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:04 pm

It's a light 20. Should sip fuel. No need for a pump swap. Should run awesome as is.
Stormtrooper
Boat Enthusiast

Postby Hcm360 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:45 pm

Yeah it’s light and the pump and motor do very well on fuel and performance! I’ve ran granite and had it all over the salmon with no troubles! And yes it’s great on fuel. The only reason I was going to put the 212 and lsa was to turn the boat into a monster! Wich if it doesn’t sell then I’m going to for sure! Hcm built one hell of a boat they handle amazingly well!
Hcm360
Beer Boy

Postby viking » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:00 pm

But the AT 312 looks not so much different from a Berkeley?
viking
Captain

Postby Stormtrooper » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:52 pm

I'd take a serious look at that 20 if I didn't already have a boat. I'd like a 22' but I couldn't find a used one.
Stormtrooper
Boat Enthusiast

Postby fuelman » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:03 pm

Well Viking I feel like I should chip in my 2 cents here. I started out with a 91 CW with a 351 and Berk and a steering wheel about 15 years ago. Learned the river and got my feet wet. Ran that boat for a couple years then found a good buy on an 89 CW twin with 460 engines and Berkley pumps. Ran that boat all over the Snake River and Lower Salmon up as far as Pine bar. This boat had stick steer and a hard top. My family used this boat alot for 10 years camping and exploring all over. In that 10 years I had opportunities to drive and ride in HCM, Bloodsworth, Riddle, Bentz, Thunderjet, and a couple others I am sure I'm forgetting. A little over 2 years ago I had a chance to buy a high hour 28 twin Bentz with Hamiltons and fuel injected small blocks. Anyway my advice, for what it is worth, is don't buy anything that does not have cab forward, center stick steering, Hamilton pump, and fuel injection. This is based also on some of the video's you have posted. Feel free to PM me your phone number and I would be glad to visit with you about boats. Good luck.
fuelman
Buoy Boy

Postby NoProplem » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:22 pm

viking wrote:But the AT 312 looks not so much different from a Berkeley?

It is similar to a berk, but is bigger and has better steering and reverse. Brice at CustomWeld reported a while back that it held a 6.2DI better than a 212 did...that being said I've never driven one so what do I know...
NoProplem
Master Baiter

Postby smitty » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:36 pm

Back to the "turning in a rapid / against a wave" topic:

I would assume that some configurations handle this better than others, advantage being a sled nose bow profile, and the quick action of stick steer vs. wheel.

question: If Mr. viking were to simply have stick steering professionally installed in Nelly Bly (Mr. viking's trusty boat) wouldn't that, alone, make a difference in negotiating said conditions?

I would certainly 'stick-ify' my boat if the funds were there. Maybe next tax return.
NoProplem wrote:... What have you contributed to the subject? Hippie lettuce? smh...
smitty
Captain

Postby viking » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:59 pm

Stick might help a little, but it would still shear out sideways and slam into the bank or reasonable facsimile thereof. Problem is there's just too much bow slicing into the water.
viking
Captain

Postby viking » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:03 pm

LifeIsShort-750x675.jpg
viking
Captain

Postby whee » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:13 pm

viking wrote:Stick might help a little, but it would still shear out sideways and slam into the bank or reasonable facsimile thereof. Problem is there's just too much bow slicing into the water.

Agreed. I've never ran anything difficult but even with a stick my boat suffers from some bow shear. Maybe you could just smack a rock and flatten the bow a little :Drink1:

As far the what hand the stick is in...I know lots of pilots that own multiple airplanes. Of those guys most of them have a plane that is flown with one and an another plane that is flown with the other hand. It really isn't a big deal one you get proficient. I fly with my left hand and takes me about an hour to get comfortable enough to land when I fly with my right hand but that's because I almost never fly a plane that requires me to fly right stick.

If I were only responsible for myself I'd be all over a 20' HCM. Be I'd never buy a new boat...I'd be too afraid of that first dent.
I'm brand new to jet boats so don't listen to anything I say.
whee
Master Baiter

Postby smitty » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:18 pm

viking wrote:Stick might help a little, but it would still shear out sideways and slam into the bank or reasonable facsimile thereof. Problem is there's just too much bow slicing into the water.

Ok, sled nose bow profile desired. Need not be a $100k problem. Unless you have it.
NoProplem wrote:... What have you contributed to the subject? Hippie lettuce? smh...
smitty
Captain

Postby viking » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:32 am

Indeed, I've thought of that. Just chop the bow apart and re-shape it. Or something. My Clusterweld offers a poor starting point because it has variable deadrise, so deadrise is substantial where the bow transition begins. I've seen some old Weldcrafts that might be good starting points.
viking
Captain

Postby lovetheedge » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:01 am

Riddle says variable dead rises don't handle well. I forgot why and what happens. That's all I remember from when I was deciding on my boat.
lovetheedge
First Mate

Postby viking » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:43 am

The elusive Idaho Penguin-Bear knows all:

penguin_bear.jpg
penguin_bear.jpg (38.46 KiB) Viewed 1113 times
viking
Captain

Postby bondobreath » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:31 pm

Peter, did the Riddle that was for sale last summer sell ?
bondobreath
Buoy Boy

PreviousNext

Return to Jet Boat Photo and Video Gallery