Sponsor Directory

Elk Horn

Show us your boat and where you use it.

Elk Horn

Postby viking » Sat May 06, 2017 12:03 am

Chariotdriver in Elk Horn rapid on Salmon River in Idaho. Flow around 25+K CFS White Bird. Line chosen to demo the LSA/241. For those of weaker constitution, the waves/holes can be avoided except at a few pinch points. Although river-reading isn't super important at this flow, this rapid does convey the relative absence of pools that begins above Buckskin Bills. Ya gotta pay attention a LOT more than farther down the river.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMJk1oirIpw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io5EQMX27GI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cBemvVNYdk
viking
Captain

Re: Elk Horn

Postby lovetheedge » Sat May 06, 2017 3:39 pm

From the angle of the shot, I can't see a line to run, must have been a lot of water going thru there as the waves were all across the river.
How did you guys handle gas resupply?
lovetheedge
First Mate

Postby viking » Sat May 06, 2017 7:00 pm

A smooth line isn't obvious from the camera view. There's no avoiding a few waves, but so it goes. Also, the low water line is definitely different.

We refueled at Spring Bar -> Riggins. Spring Bar is almost exactly mid-point between Corn Creek and Confluence. I started each leg with 140 gal on board, but would have felt comfortable with 130 gal.
viking
Captain

Postby chariotdriver » Sat May 06, 2017 7:05 pm

lovetheedge wrote:From the angle of the shot, I can't see a line to run, must have been a lot of water going thru there as the waves were all across the river.
How did you guys handle gas resupply?

Dennis, the line has more to do with playing around versus the most efficient/smoothest (stole a page from the Brandon have fun on the river operating manual). I have been admonished for not meeting expectations. There are a few good lines up this rapid at 25K which are very smooth. For the fuel re-supply we decided to not do an illegal on the river refuel.......we loaded the boats on the modified bathtub trailers then headed to Riggins for a refuel. It was a nice half-time break from the arduous journey :)
chariotdriver
Captain

Postby chariotdriver » Sat May 13, 2017 10:22 pm

chariotdriver
Captain

Postby lovetheedge » Sat May 13, 2017 11:42 pm

Wish I was there, lots like a blast.
lovetheedge
First Mate

Postby smitty » Sun May 14, 2017 2:39 am

Need this guy to watch for sticks, plastic bags, and sharp rocks that are 5" below surface
NoProplem wrote:... What have you contributed to the subject? Hippie lettuce? smh...
smitty
Captain

Postby misterwinkey » Wed May 17, 2017 6:22 pm

Love the videos. Subscribed to both channels on YouTube. Always brightens up my day!
misterwinkey
Buoy Boy

Return to Jet Boat Photo and Video Gallery