Sponsor Directory

Boat quiet?

Show us your boat and where you use it.

Re: Boat quiet?

Postby chariotdriver » Sun May 03, 2020 7:37 pm

Another method:

https://www.eastwood.com/lizard-skin-so ... gJd1vD_BwE

Several other brands popped up. I may be giving one a try.
chariotdriver
Captain

Postby Ahusk » Sun May 03, 2020 7:45 pm

So apparently I am going down the boat quiet rabbit hole now also. I spent some time messing around while waiting for my trailer axle parts to dry and ended up ordering the same meter that Viking has.

My boat has full carpeting transom to bow, floor to under the top of the gunnel. It also had a full length gunnel tray and side covers with access holes that are made with MDO and covered with foam and vinyl.

I have some suspicions where some noise may be eliminated but I will wait until I get the meter to play with that.

What is interesting is how much the carpet deadens the sides and how little hydroturf does. I have attached a video. I start in the middle where it's carpeted and has a gunnel tray. Go to the bow where there is more open space but still carpet. I can here the difference but it's hard to perceive in the video. When I get to the back where the swim deck triangle is and no carpet there is a shocking difference. It's a very small unbraced area and it's still very loud. At the end I tap on the swim deck from underneath where there is hydroturf and it's deader than the bare aluminum but not by much. Unfortunately, the video doesn't do justice to how much difference there really is.

I am thinking carpet may be a cheap way to quiet down some of the resonance in bigger boats.

https://youtu.be/AoNwFO_65KA
Ahusk
Captain

Postby viking » Tue May 05, 2020 9:15 am

A general thought. If somebody is playing a trombone inside your cabin, the volume can be painful, and all he is doing is blowing air and flapping his lips. If you view your boat as a V8-powered trombone, with your head inside the bell, then there ya go. The dominant frequency of the trombone is determined by its length. This will also be true inside a boat, but then the question becomes "which length(s)?" A possible way to sort this out is to analyze the sound for the frequencies with maximum power. Then identify what is vibrating at these frequencies. I have some really old sound software that may be helpful. Newer may be better...

This thought is complicated by the fact that low frequencies are easily excited by high frequencies. For example, a middle C will excite the C one octave lower. So it is possible that a middle C on the side of the boat will create a lower C standing wave inside the cabin.
I'm not Bruce
viking
Captain

Postby Benny » Tue May 05, 2020 3:14 pm

viking wrote:A general thought. If somebody is playing a trombone inside your cabin, the volume can be painful, and all he is doing is blowing air and flapping his lips. If you view your boat as a V8-powered trombone, with your head inside the bell, then there ya go. The dominant frequency of the trombone is determined by its length. This will also be true inside a boat, but then the question becomes "which length(s)?" A possible way to sort this out is to analyze the sound for the frequencies with maximum power. Then identify what is vibrating at these frequencies. I have some really old sound software that may be helpful. Newer may be better...

This thought is complicated by the fact that low frequencies are easily excited by high frequencies. For example, a middle C will excite the C one octave lower. So it is possible that a middle C on the side of the boat will create a lower C standing wave inside the cabin.

Viking, you lost me with all that jibberish! I will just buy a box of ear plugs. LOL
Benny
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Eagle1 » Tue May 05, 2020 9:28 pm

Benny, You don't need eye plugs with a diesel. I just picked up two pallets of body sound insulation used on Hummers. 10 dollars for both. Going to try to quiet down the 460 Gasser in the Almar.
Last edited by Eagle1 on Tue May 05, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eagle1
Captain

Postby Jetdaddy77 » Tue May 05, 2020 9:44 pm

Eagle1 wrote:Benny, You don't need eye plugs with a diesel. :Drink: :Drink:

Only when Dennis drives! (Ask me how I know!) :Laugh1: :Laugh1: :Laugh1: :Laugh1:
'93 North River 19', Kodiak 350, 3 stage, and plenty of smart marks sold
'04 Boice Titan 22', Stroked 6.7 LS, Hami 212
Jetdaddy77
Master Baiter

Postby Riverjohn » Tue May 05, 2020 9:50 pm

Jetdaddy77 wrote:
Eagle1 wrote:Benny, You don't need eye plugs with a diesel. :Drink: :Drink:

Only when Dennis drives! (Ask me how I know!) :Laugh1: :Laugh1: :Laugh1: :Laugh1:

I have always wondered why Dennis had a box of Eye Plugs in the passenger seat :Laugh1: :Laugh1: :Laugh1: :Laugh1:
Riverjohn
Captain

Postby Ahusk » Sun May 10, 2020 9:22 am

Long story made as short as possible. The meter fluctuates usually about 1db but I used the high end readings. .

5700rpm cruise on digital tach. This is much higher than the normal cruise but I was loaded full of camping gear and family in first test so I used that number for consistency. As a note. The noise seems to be the same on cruise from 5000 to 6000. Above that the supercharger gets loud.

88db - full of camping gear and family.
93db - solo with no gunnel blockers
90db - with gunnels blocked no gear

See picture below but my boat has direct passages down the gunnels for noise from the engine. I blocked them with boat bouy and a sweatshirt and made a 3db gain. More noticeably it almost eliminates all supercharger whine from the operator station. I will build some permanent blockers out of something and retest. Top rpm at 93 degree ambient temp did not change with passages blocked.

I still think there is a bunch of improvement to be gained soundproofing the doghouse. Just need to find a non 200 dollar way of testing that theory.
Attachments
I6ckDVp_compress87.jpg
Ahusk
Captain

Postby Eagle1 » Sun May 10, 2020 12:32 pm

Great test. My Almar had total foamed gunnels with a pipe for cables. It makes a difference. Going to try a cut some weight on the Pweld remodel and add some sound stuff.
Eagle1
Captain

Postby Tyingflies » Thu May 21, 2020 10:06 pm

Really, I think it's in everyone's best interest to keep the boats as quiet as you can, unless racing ofc. The more people that botch about noise, the more people complain then all the govt starts to listen and in turn start to regulate. Jet boaters, have respect in front of those shirtless bait casters on shore that are only jealous we can get to those places they cant.
Tyingflies
Deck Swab

Postby desperado » Fri May 22, 2020 12:55 pm

"have respect in front of those shirtless bait casters on shore that are only jealous we can get to those places they cant."

Wow I was one of those shirtless bait casters until I joined the REBEL crowd :Drink: :chicken:
desperado
Boat Enthusiast

Previous

Return to Jet Boat Photo and Video Gallery