Sponsor Directory

Jet boating class Hell's canyon Sept 9-13, 2020

Discussion about Jetboats, rivers and related topics.

Jet boating class Hell's canyon Sept 9-13, 2020

Postby lovetheedge » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:55 pm

Third Jet boating class. September 9-13, 2020
Myself and Peter have decided to put on the third jet boating class. I am posting early so people can make plans and arrange vacation time. I have already be contacted by one interested party and one spot is reserved It will coincide with the Western White Water Association weekend run in Hell's Canyon out of Pittsburg landing campground where we all will camp out. Students should arrive at the camp ground on Wednesday Sept 9, as the class begins 9:00 AM Thursday the 10th. Thursday will be almost all class room with boat launching instructions at the end of the day and some classroom after dinner. Friday will be all day on the river with students in either Peter’s or my boat teaching reading the water, beach landings, etc. Saturday is the WWA club run which everyone will be driving their boats following myself down the river to the confluence. Saturday night WWA has a steak feed we are invited to attend with a pot luck for the sides so plan on bringing something to share. Sunday is your day to return home or stay if you wish.
I am 72 years old and medical issues keep cropping up. I am not sure if I will be able to repeat the class again. Only time will tell.
Last year there were two no shows to the class and there were others who wanted to come but were turned down because I thought the class was full. So this year Peter and I have decided to add a $50.00 deposit per boat captain to hold a spot. It will be refundable up to 30 days before the class. Cost of class is $20 to cover materials, not gas of instructors, which is optional to the students. $30 will be refunded to each student upon arrival at the class. When I get your deposit I will forward you the classroom book to study prior to class arrival.
The class book I authored has increased to 106 pages with some more topics added to the book since last years class.. This class will be targeted towards new and up to intermediate boat captains and crew. There will be something for everyone to learn something new or reinforce what you already know. See table of contents below. New boat captains are mostly interested in learning how to run the river, and you will learn that, but this class is geared towards having an event free outing, which encompasses much more than just reading water.
This class is being put on by myself and Peter and is not sponsored by the WWA. We do not present ourselves as trained jet boat experts, people who know everything about jet boating or as jet boat instructors. I know of no other book or class for jet boating and running white water. We will simply be sharing our knowledge and the knowledge of others that was passed down to us.
The size of the class will be limited to 6 boats, so if interested RSVP me and include your mailing address, phone numbers and how many in your party will attend at email dmarguet@frontiernet.net. First come first served. If not 100% positive now, let me know of your strong interest and I will put you on a short list and as the class fills I will ask for a full commitment hopefully before it fills. No guarantee you will make the class, as it can fill all of a sudden. As the list grows and we get closer, I will ask for a commitment. I already have one boat reserved..
Boat captains are encouraged, but not required to bring the person/persons who will often be their first mate. Almost all this information relates to the first mate as well.
Required for the class are things you should have on your boat regardless of the class. Either a CB or preferred a VHF radio. Most jet boaters in the canyon have a CB radio but more are carrying a VHF radio as it used elsewhere and it has a longer range, which is why we prefer a vhf radio. Boats will get strung out and I will be giving instructions to you while you are driving your boat. I will need to have everyone using the same radio. You will want to mount an antenna on the outside of your boat for best reception and transmission. Recommended is a speaker mounted near your head for better hearing and understanding. This is the only way to communicate with you while you are driving your boat on the water. Handheld radios are difficult to use or hear over the engine noise, and can lose their battery power and are not recommended and will not meet the requirements of having a radio. In addition polarized sunglasses, it helps you see the rocks in the water. Cheap ones will do the job. A “throw” bag to rescue a person in the water. For each person on board a life jackets for white water river’s, not cheap water skiing jackets, (see class material). These will be required to be worn at all times on the river. All required boat safety equipment. The park requires an enclosed port a potty on board the boat. Columbia style river anchor attached to bow. Minimum 50 foot rope attached to bow for being towed or towing another boat. Sand stake is needed to tie your boat to shore on Saturday.
Materials will be in the class book that you will need to follow to prepare yourself for the trip and to prepare your boat for safe traveling and have a safe outing.
I will have a satellite phone with me, as cell phones do not work in the canyon.
We will not be covering everything in this book. Not enough time. You should study this entire book prior to the class.
Jet boating class-Table of contents
1. Jet boating class intro 3
2. Release, indemnity and hold harmless 6
3. Trailer driving tips and towing weight 8
4. Weight distribution 13
5. Proper planning of your boat 14
6. Boat preparation to go notes for Riddle 17
7. Snake River run checklist 21
8. Hells Canyon permit system 27
9. Salmon River out of Riggins checklist 28
10. Anchor selection and use 34
11. Controlling boat in the wind while anchored 37
12. Rope selection Polyester vs nylon vs cotton 38
13. Boat safety check list 40
14. Boat Passenger orientation 42
15. Man overboard- captains preparation 44
16. Man overboard- passenger preparation 45
17. I hit a rock and put hole in boat 49
18. Getting stuck on a sand bar 50
19. Logs and debris hard to see 52
20. How to remove a stick in jet pump 54
21. My engine has stopped what do I do 55
22. Getting your boat rescued 57
23. How to tie off to a boat or dock cleat 60
24. Launching a boat at a ramp and docking 63
25. Tying to shore 66
26. Loading your boat onto trailer in a current 68
27. How to tie a bowline knot 71
28. How to tie a truckers hitch/knot 72
29. How to go sideways 73
30. River hazard terms 74
31. Reading water 76
32. Recognizing river patterns and other tips 79
33. Boat camping on the river 85
34. Boat cover 87
35. Winterizing-spring boat LSA 88
36. Boat insurance 92
37. Snake from Pittsburg Landing to confluence 95
38. Snake from Pittsburg Landing to dam 99
39. Snake River map with rapids 104
40. Boat direction terminology 105
41. Critique sheet 106

My phone # for questions etc. is (208) 382-8282
Dennis
lovetheedge
Captain

Re: Jet boating class Hell's canyon Sept 9-13, 2020

Postby lovetheedge » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:10 pm

As of today there are three signed up for the class. 3 more spots available.
lovetheedge
Captain

Postby lovetheedge » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:56 pm

There are now 5 committed to the class, awaiting checks from a couple people who just committed. One place left, after that there will be a waiting list.
lovetheedge
Captain

Postby Ahusk » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:13 am

I have a question. Why do I need a want stake to hold myself to the beach and a Colombia River anchor. Do you not trust the anchor to do that job?
Ahusk
Captain

Postby Benny » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:27 am

Ahusk wrote:I have a question. Why do I need a want stake to hold myself to the beach and a Colombia River anchor. Do you not trust the anchor to do that job?

Because the professor said so. That's why!! LOL
Benny
Forum Enthusiast

Postby lovetheedge » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:27 pm

You can get by with a Columbia river anchor at times. But if you are parked in a strong current or there wave action from passing boats or a strong wind, and you have the right stake, one that is sized properly for you boat and will go deep enough, it will hold the boat better in place than just the anchor. A proper stake won't "shake" or "rock "loose as easily, (it can still shake loose), as an anchor from the bouncing action can. A stake is more secure. When ever I just use the anchor, I am checking the anchor to see it is set much more often than with a stake. Also at some places you may need both the anchor and the stake. One to hold the bow and one to hold the stern to prevent it getting pushed away due to a strong wind or current pushing on the stern. If I was to leave my boat on shore, I personally would never just use an anchor, no telling if a passing boat going by creates a big wake that loosens the anchor and the boat gets free. I have experienced my anchor getting pulled out of place and seen it happen to others many times.
Last edited by lovetheedge on Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lovetheedge
Captain

Postby Ahusk » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:52 pm

Gotcha, I use a both. Use the sand anchor camping and leave it there and use the Columbia for on river duties. My boats way lighter though and a Columbia holds it. Have seen lots of bigger boats get waked off their anchors.

You wanting people to run seperate bow rope from their anchor rope? That is how it reads. Again just curious.
Ahusk
Captain

Postby lovetheedge » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:03 pm

Yes a separate bow rope, the same one that is there in case of needing to be towed or for towing someone else.
lovetheedge
Captain

Postby lovetheedge » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:12 am

Just filled the final spot, his check is on the way. So if you want to come, I can wait list you and the first on to wait list will be the first one called. In the past there have been cancellations so I would encourage you to do so if you have a mind to do so.
lovetheedge
Captain

Return to River Jet Boating Board