Sponsor Directory

So, why did you get involved, why are you even here ??

Discussion about Jetboats, rivers and related topics.

So, why did you get involved, why are you even here ??

Postby smitty » Fri May 18, 2018 11:54 am

Ok, so let's get my boring resume out of the way, so we can all enjoy yours.

- will never forget my first jet boat ride in Frank Pelto's boat, when I was a little kid (single digit age and less than table tall)
- dad got into rafting the local rivers
- rode with dad's friend in a 24' Duckworth on the Yakima river
- met Wally and Myrna Beamer years ago
- knew Wendy Caldwell and he let me steer the tour boat as a little kid
- Steve Wieber was dad's friend, who ran commercial and private boats over the years
- was born in Clarkston
- in a world of props, jet lives matter (how stupid does that sound)
student driver - stay clear

shooting my mouth off on meanchicken since 2013

making friends on the rivers since I was little
smitty
Captain

Re: So, why did you get involved, why are you even here ??

Postby Idamainer » Fri May 18, 2018 8:19 pm

The reasons that I became involved in Jet Boating are
1. I have never really cared for prop drive

2. Jets take you more place places

3. I have gone places that I never would have with my jet

4. I will be the only one with a hamilton 212 when I run the Roanoke River in a few weeks.
1999, 21 ft Northwest Jet Signature Series, 7.4l fuel injected, Hamilton 212 pump
Former boat 2006 18ft Jetcraft Whitewater, 240 hp sportjet....a rocket on the water
Currently from Henderson, North Carolina running the waters of the Roanoke River.....previously from Star, Idaho
Idamainer
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Hell Yes » Fri May 18, 2018 10:26 pm

To go where props have never gone. :-D
Hell Yes
El Diablo

Postby smitty » Fri May 18, 2018 10:39 pm

Hell Yes wrote:To go where props have never gone. :-D

I think Glen Wooldridge did it with a prop ?? |c: ??

smitty
Captain

Postby Hell Yes » Fri May 18, 2018 10:52 pm

We have all been a few places where a prop would not have made it. Not on purpose.

I find it fullfilling to be able to read the water , most of the time, well enough to run a perfectly good boat up a rocky river.
Hell Yes
El Diablo

Postby smitty » Fri May 18, 2018 11:32 pm

Hell: I'd buy some fuel to ride along and learn a thing or two.... my next boat will be called "Bam Bam" because of the sound of my hull hitting those rockish things

smitty
Captain

Postby desperado » Sat May 19, 2018 7:16 am

I grew up listening to jet boat stories from my class mates who's parents had them or were related to early builders (Bentz)
I live very close to two of the best rivers in the world
Even though I was good friends with those families I never got to go, I made a promise to myself as soon as I was able I was going to buy my own boat.
I wanted to fish where others could not.
Remember my first trip to Buckskin Bill's cabin (while he was still alive)
My father worked for Circle C at Pittsburg, he would tell me stories of the early boaters and history of the canyon
Riding in a Jet Boat on the Kobuk river in Alaska from the town of Kobuk upstream...What a memory
Some of my best memories have been on the water!

It will be a sad day when I can no longer run a Jet boat :chicken:
desperado
Buoy Boy

Postby jl8jeff » Sat May 19, 2018 8:26 am

I've had a bunch of smaller (13-17') prop boats that I've run on the Delaware River for years and always hated the noise the jet outboards made. When the water level gets too low in the summer, I would only safely be able to run about a mile upstream before it wasn't worth the risk to go farther. I picked up my current Lowe 1652 a couple of years ago because I wanted an aluminum hull instead of fiberglass. It had a 40 hp Evinrude prop motor on it, but it was a jet tunnel hull. So I found a Mercuery 60/45 jet outboard locally and put it on the boat. Now I can safely run 3 miles upstream before a wing dam gets in the way.

I've also had a couple of Jersey Speed skiffs which are a lot of fun but with the prop shaft coming out the bottom of the boat (flat bottom boat) it limited me to a 1/2 mile stretch when the river was low. So I sold those boats and ended up getting a jet sprint to play around with. It's a blast and I don't have to worry about the water depth nearly as much. The only downside with the jets is that they use a lot more gas and prices keep going up!
Attachments
sprint_ramp1.jpg
JS55_1a.jpg
Roughneck R1652VT with Mercury 60/45 jet
1993 Jetcraft Sprint with ZZ3 350 and Hamilton 772
jl8jeff
Buoy Boy

Postby riverboater » Sat May 19, 2018 9:28 am

Long story but I am old, I can not remember a time as a kid that my folks didn't have a boat. Early 60's I got to ride along on a river freight trip, ( exciting for a 6 year old) Travelled about 450 miles into the north central part of BC. Keep in mind these were 36ft, 4ft bottom plywood with 22hp Johnson outboard. About 1967 a good friend of the family had a plywood war canoe style, ( 32ft about 5 ft floor), This was powered by a 427BBC and a Jaccuzzi. At this point Jet drive took first place as we had the free run of this boat for several years. Next step in the addiction happened when Howies marine moved into our part of town, they built boats, jet boats, and used this funny shinny metal. Great stuff for a 12 year old to see. The great part was Howie had a son my age, The marine shop became my second home and we got to go for test drives in customers boats. At 19 I built up my first inboard jet boat, 18ft Valco hull, 751 Hamilton with a 200 cu in ford 6. I thought I was king of the hill, not that many jet boats in my area in 1975. From that point on the addiction got serious and I have been unable to find any rehab that worked.
riverboater
Captain

Postby Hell Yes » Sat May 19, 2018 11:45 am

The only therapy for this is driving one without a rock hit, but this just makes the addition worse. :-D

Smitty, this a great thread!! When you are in the area pm me and depending on the time of year we can go for a spin.Maybe in Sept at Pittsburg.
Hell Yes
El Diablo

Postby smitty » Sat May 19, 2018 1:13 pm

Enjoying the stories and pics - thanks for taking the time, gents!!

smitty
Captain

Postby Bobcat93 » Sun May 20, 2018 5:21 pm

I got involved with my jet boat because it made more sense to have a boat that can run a river and a lake. I live in Billings and we have the Yellowstone running through town. The Big Horn is about 50 miles east of here and Missouri River Breaks about 2 hours north. Most decent lakes and bodies of water are 2 hours or more away do I was able to convince my wife that the jetboat was the way to go.
2005 Hewescraft 20' Sportjet
Bobcat93
Beer Boy

Postby bigcat_ak » Mon May 21, 2018 12:08 am

After I moved to Alaska I went hunted with a guy who had a 19 ft. Duckworth, with two buddies. EVERYTHING went wrong. Boat was hard to start. I suggested replace the starter since we were going for 14 days. No. Got it to start. We were going 80 miles up the Yukon and knew it would take two trips. Up river ok, dropped two of us off to return in morning. Next day the return happens but when I count fuel barrels we're short one 30 gal short. Guy says he left in the truck in case we need it?????? 80 miles down the damn river. GREAT. After a hunt one evening , coming down river we round a turn and the guy can't see the turn and TURNS THE MOTOR OFF????? 40ft. up a bank. 6 hours of ball busting till midnight. So on the way home we run out of gas, go figure. We float bum some gas and of coarse the boat won't start. I knew that I was a lot smarter than this moron and that a jet boat was the way to go.
bigcat_ak
Buoy Boy

Postby viking » Mon May 21, 2018 9:11 am

Because I had not felt terror for some years, and this seemed like a handy way. The obvious alternative was airplanes, but I get air sick. My theory is that terror keeps you youthful and healthy. Sort of like how old Jewish guys don't die during Passover.
viking
Captain

Postby smitty » Mon May 21, 2018 1:03 pm

viking - that was above average.

smitty
Captain

Postby whee » Mon May 21, 2018 8:11 pm

I have been my experience that driving a boat on a river is far scarier than flying an airplane. Especially when running whitewater downstream.

I grew up kayaking and rafting. We also had a ski boat that we used often. My dad always wanted a jet boat but never could quite make it happen. My first time in a jet was maybe 8 years ago when we hired a jetback in Hells after a float trip. I have a family of my own now and we love being on the water but I don’t like being around other people, especially idiots which seem to frequent lakes, so a river boat made sense. We are still avid kayaker/rafters but jet boating is a great way to get out on the river for quick trips and much less work.
I'm brand new to jet boats so don't listen to anything I say.
whee
Master Baiter

Postby waylon » Mon May 21, 2018 8:21 pm

Love being on the River.The roar of whitewater and a healthy v8. The fear and excitement of climbing an unknown rapid, frak ya, America. vaginas. I am here to stir up thoughtful debate, talk shit and have a good time. ruffles some people, makes lifelong friends of others. :Drink:
"Only God knows why" Image
waylon
Master Baiter

Postby bgilmlbz » Mon May 21, 2018 9:40 pm

I grew up on the Upper Salmon (Corn Cr to Stanley). My dad was the great friends with Bob Smith and was the first trip down every spring for fishing, many times jumping ice bridges.
I got to tell you the first time you come around a corner and there is an ice bridge across the river and Bob didn’t slow down is a terrifying experience for a 10 year old. When you jump up on the ice, he kills the engines, and you slide across to open water( if you didn’t make it everyone got out and pulled the boat across)
Unfortunately Bob passed away before I was old enough for him to “teach” me, but it became my life’s passion. I’m a true “river rat” because of those experiences. I have learned a ton from the WWA and IJBA. HellYes (Bruce) was an amazing teacher and would recommend him for anyone to follow.
I’m lucky enough to have a wife who shares my passion as she grew up on the Salmon with her dad fishing. In fact she wants a twin ( love her more every time she says it). We have been very fortunate to purchase a share of the Polly Bemis Ranch recently . I hope to gain a ton more river knowledge and what a more beautiful place to spend our time.
bgilmlbz
First Mate

Postby viking » Mon May 21, 2018 10:26 pm

bigcat_ak: did you know that it is illegal for the military to hire somebody with an IQ less than 83? This is about 12% of the US population. However, there is no similar law prohibiting jet boat ownership.
viking
Captain

Postby Dawb » Thu May 24, 2018 12:07 pm

I ran a 15' smokercraft with a 25hp prop tiller for about 6 years. Did everything with that boat and still kickin myself for gettin rid of it. However, I think I dreamed of a jetboat since I bought that little boat. I spend a lot of time on the Fraser and I can hear the V8s on the river from my house. Drives me nuts when I hear them in summer or fall and im not out on mine haha. Also have a launch 5 minutes from home.

I got sick of nickle and diming myself to death on the little boat smashing props or wrecking legs, so I figured I would speed up the process with an older jetboat haha

I really like taking people out to spots they would never see, or getting them their first sturgeon
Dawb
Master Baiter

Next

Return to River Jet Boating Board