Sponsor Directory

Thinking about a new boat.

Discussion about Jetboats, rivers and related topics.

Thinking about a new boat.

Postby Jetjockey » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:25 am

Once Covid goes away and my industry returns to normal, my wife and I are kicking around having a boat built. The boat would probably be used 60/40 family fun to fishing. We live in CO, so the boat will be used in a lot of lakes, with 2-3 trips a year back to the PNW to fish the Columbia and Snake. We are thinking about a 22’ Firefish Stingray wide bottom, 12 degree hull with a Raptor 575 and AT 231. I don’t really want a Super Charger, but when running at elevations up to 7500ft, I think it will be useful. FF will build anything we want, so I’m trying to figure out the best hull design. Would you guys suggest a Delta or radius bottom, and how much deadrise? I currently run a 21’ Boice with a 78” bottom and 12 degree deadrise. It runs great, but was wondering if we increased the deadrise if the boat would run a little faster, and ride a little better in the chop? Thanks in advance. Jet.
Jetjockey
Deck Swab

Re: Thinking about a new boat.

Postby NoProplem » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:32 pm

Radius bottom will ride better than a Delta if deadrise is equal. More deadrise will ride better, but will be slower and use more fuel. There's more to it than that, but that's the quick version...
NoProplem
First Mate

Postby Jetdaddy77 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:11 pm

I think a lot of what you're thinking makes sense. Supercharger for altitude, and the firefish are pretty hot for a multipurpose boat. I've read a lot of what Tom with Edge marine had to say about the early boats they made after Boice. He said that they had started with a 14° radius, and he had a 16° made later. He thought that it was the best performing set up they had. What kind of interior configuration are you thinking about?
'93 North River 19', Kodiak 350, 3 stage, and plenty of smart marks sold
'04 Boice Titan 22', Stroked 6.7 LS, Hami 212
Jetdaddy77
First Mate

Postby Jetjockey » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:42 pm

Tom told me the same thing on another social media site. He said to have them build a constant 16 degree radius, 5 stringer bottom. Here’s the interior configuration we are leaning towards. However, we want the sun deck and wrap around seating to be removable so as to just have the standard jetboat style seating with two front seats , two side seats, and the dog house for fishing. I’d have a plastic welder weld up a custom tackle tray to cover the dog box when fishing.
Attachments
D1BF92F4-CE74-4D59-A73A-68F5B55C42E2.jpeg
Jetjockey
Deck Swab

Postby Jetdaddy77 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:53 pm

Jetjockey wrote:Tom told me the same thing on another social media site. He said to have them build a constant 16 degree radius, 5 stringer bottom. Here’s the interior configuration we are leaning towards. However, we want the sun deck and wrap around seating to be removable so as to just have the standard jetboat style seating with two front seats , two side seats, and the dog house for fishing. I’d have a plastic welder weld up a custom tackle tray to cover the dog box when fishing.

Can I be your friend? :Laugh1: If I had all the monies I'd probably do that boat, or a River Wild. You on ABNW F.B. and Boice and edge addicts too?
'93 North River 19', Kodiak 350, 3 stage, and plenty of smart marks sold
'04 Boice Titan 22', Stroked 6.7 LS, Hami 212
Jetdaddy77
First Mate

Postby Riverjohn » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:00 pm

Jetjockey wrote:Tom told me the same thing on another social media site. He said to have them build a constant 16 degree radius, 5 stringer bottom. Here’s the interior configuration we are leaning towards. However, we want the sun deck and wrap around seating to be removable so as to just have the standard jetboat style seating with two front seats , two side seats, and the dog house for fishing. I’d have a plastic welder weld up a custom tackle tray to cover the dog box when fishing.

You must be that Colorado guy over on IFISH :Laugh1: :Laugh1:
Riverjohn
Captain

Postby whee » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:25 pm

I think a 14 degree radius bottom would be slick for your mission. I also think a super charger would be nice to have. I live at 4700msl and that’s were I use the boat the most. When we go to a 6500msl lake I notice a significant power loss but it’s manageable. By manageable I mean my poor 351W is ran at WOT the entire time.
I'm brand new to jet boats so don't listen to anything I say.
whee
First Mate

Postby Jetjockey » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:31 pm

So, as of now, I’m planning on a 22x7’ Firefish with a 14 degree radius bottom. Raptor 575 hooked to an AT-231 and a 4.5kw impeller. Probably add the ride plate as well. That should give me a top speed somewhere around 52mph and cruise at 3000-3300rpm and 26-30mph with a burn of 10-13gph. The interior goodies are yet to be decided on, but I think we are close. Any reason to jump to the LT4 or a 241?
Jetjockey
Deck Swab

Postby steelheadfreak » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:20 am

You yankees get 30% more boat buying it in Canada. Not sure why more of you don't? Yeah I get the "Buy American" thing but hell, all the parts are US made...….hahahahha
steelheadfreak
Novice Baiter

Postby whee » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:03 am

I have zero personal experience with a 212 or 241.

I removed a 3-stage from my boat to install a SD231. I now have significantly more thrust, powerful enough reverse to sink the boat, seems to stay hooked up very well and doesn’t seem to mind pumping trash and rocks. After putting the boat on the trailer on one particularly shallow day I found rocks in the grate and moss streaming out of the nozzle.

I don’t have enough time with the pump and my engine needs more horse power before I can offer a solid opinion but so far I really like it.
I'm brand new to jet boats so don't listen to anything I say.
whee
First Mate

Return to River Jet Boating Board