Sponsor Directory

sunk and forgotten about boats

Discussion about Jetboats, rivers and related topics.

sunk and forgotten about boats

Postby Akclassic » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:37 pm

Out of curiosity, are there many sunk/lost boats in the rivers in the northwest?
In Alaska, there are very few boats lost on rivers permanently. However, if your boat sinks in the salt our water is usually deep enough to let the ocean have it.
Part of the reason I am asking is because I was a commercial diver for 17 years. Recovering a boat in a river (even a fast river) is not out of my wheelhouse.
Akclassic
Buoy Boy

Re: sunk and forgotten about boats

Postby whee » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:46 pm

There is probably some. The few I know of were abandoned because they tumbled after sinking so the owners assumed the boats weren’t worth recovering. If I can ever break free I’m going to dive and check out the boats. Might be kinda fun to salvage them.
I'm brand new to jet boats so don't listen to anything I say.
whee
First Mate

Postby Eagle1 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:52 pm

I know where a 84 Woolridge is sleeping long time.
Last edited by Eagle1 on Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eagle1
Captain

Postby Akclassic » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:03 pm

whee wrote:There is probably some. The few I know of were abandoned because they tumbled after sinking so the owners assumed the boats weren’t worth recovering. If I can ever break free I’m going to dive and check out the boats. Might be kinda fun to salvage them.

Quite possible that there was excessive damage making them not worth salvaging. But, ya never know. Would be fun just to have a looksie.
Akclassic
Buoy Boy

Postby Akclassic » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:06 pm

[video][/video]
Eagle1 wrote:I know where a 84 Woolridge in sleeping long time.

Thats a long time... who knows, it may have been under mud/sand/silt this whole time and perfectly serviceable. Pull the plugs, change the oil and cap and fire away!
but really, that is a long time to be underwater and even aluminum would have a hard time after 36 years underwater.
Akclassic
Buoy Boy

Postby riverboater » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:08 pm

Late 60's my dad's old boat came to rest not far from the launch on the west end of Kenny dam, Ootsa lake. It just backed off the trailer when it bust into flames, burnt and sunk. It had a rope tied to the bow but before any real salvage could be mounted somebody yanked on the rope a bit hard and broke it. The dam is about 400 ft high so nobody knows how deep it slide before stopping. If you want a near new Jaccuzi with a 427 BBC as well as a new 20hp mercy it is still there for the taking.
riverboater
Captain

Postby Riverjohn » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:00 pm

Akclassic wrote:Out of curiosity, are there many sunk/lost boats in the rivers in the northwest?
In Alaska, there are very few boats lost on rivers permanently. However, if your boat sinks in the salt our water is usually deep enough to let the ocean have it.
Part of the reason I am asking is because I was a commercial diver for 17 years. Recovering a boat in a river (even a fast river) is not out of my wheelhouse.

The ones that have been spit back up by the Snake have not had much left of them. :(
Riverjohn
Captain

Postby Hell Yes » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:53 pm

I bet the pile of boats and junk is 6 ft deep in the bottom of Granite.I was told there are 75 boats . I have seen alot get away after coming close to sinking.
Hell Yes
El Diablo

Postby viking » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:21 pm

I heard it was 750 boats, including one Viking sailing vessel that navigated up from the Pacific Ocean during the Great Flood of 932. There is still evidence of their passing high on the canyon walls where their oars scraped off the moss. They actually sank on the return voyage after over-wintering below American Falls, where they took many Native American wives and founded the SiouxRedbeard nation. Later they sailed to the moon.

https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/2rdn2c/vikings_are_always_first/
viking
Captain

Return to River Jet Boating Board