Sponsor Directory

212 stomp grate

Discussion about Jetboats, rivers and related topics.

212 stomp grate

Postby Skirulefool » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:36 pm

Does anyone run the jetco 9 bar or do most run the 13 bar, the 9 bar has 3/4" openings will junk that size pass through the impeller?
Skirulefool
Boat Enthusiast
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:04 am

Re: 212 stomp grate

Postby dam man » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:14 pm

Also interested in any comments on the 9 bar jetco vs 11 bar 213 grate.
User avatar
dam man
Boat Enthusiast
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:07 pm
Location: Rigby, ID

Re: 212 stomp grate

Postby lovetheedge » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:52 pm

what engine, boat size, etc?
User avatar
lovetheedge
Captain
 
Posts: 1151
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:19 pm
Location: Cascade, ID

Re: 212 stomp grate

Postby Skirulefool » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:54 am

lovetheedge wrote:what engine, boat size, etc?

Bentz ProX 23, 6.0 with a 2.9 impeller
Attachments
received_337959177081351-480x360.jpeg
received_337959177081351-480x360.jpeg (34.65 KiB) Viewed 547 times
Skirulefool
Boat Enthusiast
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:04 am

Re: 212 stomp grate

Postby broncobran68 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:51 am

Never had a 212 stomp grate, but it looks like the standard grate is a 13 bar? I’ve had my standard grate packed with gravel and moss. It’ll cavitate but still gets on plane. Once on plane the debris tends to slide to the back and self clear.

I’ve also sucked a handful of sticks through the factory 13 bar grate that make the pump vibrate intolerably and can prevent planing. Pretty sure a stomp grate wouldn’t help there.

My opinion on stomp grates is that they are another nice tool to have. Got ‘em in two of my boats, but on spring Salmon River stuff they aren’t gonna save you. You could pack a dozen chap stick sized sticks into your grate and not notice an issue, but once one of them slips past the grate and into the impeller you could be in for a long day.
broncobran68
Captain
 
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:12 pm
Location: Green Room

Re: 212 stomp grate

Postby Skirulefool » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:28 am

broncobran68 wrote:Never had a 212 stomp grate, but it looks like the standard grate is a 13 bar? I’ve had my standard grate packed with gravel and moss. It’ll cavitate but still gets on plane. Once on plane the debris tends to slide to the back and self clear.

I’ve also sucked a handful of sticks through the factory 13 bar grate that make the pump vibrate intolerably and can prevent planing. Pretty sure a stomp grate wouldn’t help there.

My opinion on stomp grates is that they are another nice tool to have. Got ‘em in two of my boats, but on spring Salmon River stuff they aren’t gonna save you. You could pack a dozen chap stick sized sticks into your grate and not notice an issue, but once one of them slips past the grate and into the impeller you could be in for a long day.

I mainly want it for the gravel on the Snake River so I'm curious if a 3/4 inch pebble will pass through the impeller or hang up in the fins, if I just ran the upper salmon I wouldn't put one on because pine needles and sticks will still be the enemy
Skirulefool
Boat Enthusiast
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:04 am

Re: 212 stomp grate

Postby Hell Yes » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:26 pm

If you suck gravel thru the pump it will need repair and need to be rebalanced . It may pass thru but damage will be done.
User avatar
Hell Yes
El Diablo
 
Posts: 4283
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:55 pm

Re: 212 stomp grate

Postby Skirulefool » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:57 pm

Hell Yes wrote:If you suck gravel thru the pump it will need repair and need to be rebalanced . It may pass thru but damage will be done.

But the question is, will it pass through or get stuck in the grate?
Skirulefool
Boat Enthusiast
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:04 am

Re: 212 stomp grate

Postby whee » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:20 pm

IMO, 3/4" between the bars is way too much. No doubt you're a better driver and since your boat is actually nice you're probably more cautious too so maybe running shallow and blowing lines isn't your thing. My grate is way tighter than 3/4" even so I've pumped enough gravel to ruin 3 sets of impellers in my 3-stage. If you're going to run between Blackfoot and IF then I'd get the 13 bar. It was shallow and nasty last summer. I was wishing for a stomp grate every time we went out.

The Snake has an endless supply of 3/4 minus...

Image
I'm brand new to jet boats so don't listen to anything I say.
whee
First Mate
 
Posts: 806
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:35 am
Location: Idaho Falls

Re: 212 stomp grate

Postby lovetheedge » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:39 pm

It should effect performance, how much so, I don't know. I assume because you only have a 6.0 in your size boat that is what you are looking for. It is good that you are asking the question. Give Bentz a call and see what they have to say. As far as a stomp grate, I would not be without my hydraulic stomp grate. It saved me in landslide when I picked up some plastic that completely stopped the water flow when I was in the middle of the worst part of the rapid. I was instantly able to move most of it out and got power to pull me away from the dangerous rocks.
User avatar
lovetheedge
Captain
 
Posts: 1151
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:19 pm
Location: Cascade, ID

Re: 212 stomp grate

Postby Riverjohn » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:42 pm

lovetheedge wrote:It should effect performance, how much so, I don't know. I assume because you only have a 6.0 in your size boat that is what you are looking for. It is good that you are asking the question. Give Bentz a call and see what they have to say. As far as a stomp grate, I would not be without my hydraulic stomp grate. It saved me in landslide when I picked up some plastic that completely stopped the water flow when I was in the middle of the worst part of the rapid. I was instantly able to move most of it out and got power to pull me away from the dangerous rocks.
Is your stomp grate using hydraulic fluid cylinders powered by a hydraulic pump or are they using air?
User avatar
Riverjohn
Captain
 
Posts: 2004
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:08 pm

Re: 212 stomp grate

Postby Riverjohn » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:05 pm

Skirulefool wrote:Does anyone run the jetco 9 bar or do most run the 13 bar, the 9 bar has 3/4" openings will junk that size pass through the impeller?
I think the 9 bar grate would let way to much in rocks and debris through. When I replaced my 212 with the 213 and its 11 bar grate I had 2 instances where I picked up a rock and stick that lodged between the impeller blades. Had to take the back of the pump off both times to get them out. Put the 212 13 bar grate in and haven't had that problem again. I would rather have some gravel or wood caught in the grate than in the pump. :Drink: :Drink:
User avatar
Riverjohn
Captain
 
Posts: 2004
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:08 pm

Re: 212 stomp grate

Postby dam man » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:02 pm

Appreciate the input. I was mostly interested in the performance aspect of the 9 bar with an Lsa. Years ago I went to the 11 bar and it gave me more enhanced performance than all the pump work I had done. And I hate to jinx myself but it seemed as though I picked up less sticks than I did with the 13 bar stock grate. Anyhow I know jetco has a 9 bar and just wondered if anyone was running it and with what kind of success.
User avatar
dam man
Boat Enthusiast
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:07 pm
Location: Rigby, ID

Re: 212 stomp grate

Postby lovetheedge » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:39 pm

The title of this subject is 212 stomp grate, but seems the author is not interested in a stomp grate, but the number of bars and the effect on performance. I will answer the question on my stomp grate which is air activated.
User avatar
lovetheedge
Captain
 
Posts: 1151
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:19 pm
Location: Cascade, ID

Re: 212 stomp grate

Postby FlyLow » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:54 pm

lovetheedge wrote:The title of this subject is 212 stomp grate, but seems the author is not interested in a stomp grate, but the number of bars and the effect on performance. I will answer the question on my stomp grate which is air activated.


Hydraulic-fluid
Pneumatic- air
FlyLow
Master Baiter
 
Posts: 510
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:52 am

Re: 212 stomp grate

Postby desperado » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:17 pm

Stacy 453.jpg
No matter about the subject title mistakes happen anyway I have both the 9 bar Jetco grate and the 11 bar hami. I've ran both in hells canyon different times of the year. I tended to suck up more sticks with the 9 bar grate vs the 11 bar. I also did not see much of a difference in performance either. My boat has the 440 raptor with a 3.4 but I started with the 2.9. Picture of my boat. Anyway I keep it as a spare, not much of a fan of going for a dive in april.
desperado
Boat Enthusiast
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: New Meadows ID

Re: 212 stomp grate

Postby dam man » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:14 pm

Desperado appreciate the input, just what I was looking for.
User avatar
dam man
Boat Enthusiast
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:07 pm
Location: Rigby, ID

Re: 212 stomp grate

Postby Riverjohn » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:35 pm

desperado wrote:
Stacy 453.jpg
No matter about the subject title mistakes happen anyway I have both the 9 bar Jetco grate and the 11 bar hami. I've ran both in hells canyon different times of the year. I tended to suck up more sticks with the 9 bar grate vs the 11 bar. I also did not see much of a difference in performance either. My boat has the 440 raptor with a 3.4 but I started with the 2.9. Picture of my boat. Anyway I keep it as a spare, not much of a fan of going for a dive in april.

Do you have a 212 or a 213? The 212 has a 13 bar steel grate and the 213 comes with the 11 bar aluminum grate.
User avatar
Riverjohn
Captain
 
Posts: 2004
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:08 pm

Re: 212 stomp grate

Postby desperado » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:40 am

good question, I have a 212 I thought I counted 11 bars on it but I'm not sure now. My boat is in storage right now so I guess the next time I check on it I will count.
desperado
Boat Enthusiast
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: New Meadows ID

Re: 212 stomp grate

Postby Riverjohn » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:48 am

desperado wrote:good question, I have a 212 I thought I counted 11 bars on it but I'm not sure now. My boat is in storage right now so I guess the next time I check on it I will count.

If it is the stock 212 grate it has steel bars and 13 of them. :Drink: :Drink:
User avatar
Riverjohn
Captain
 
Posts: 2004
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:08 pm

Next

Return to River Jet Boating Board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests

cron