Sponsor Directory

How much fuel in your gas tank when your is boat stored

Discussion about Jetboats, rivers and related topics.

How much fuel in your gas tank when your is boat stored

Postby lovetheedge » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:49 pm

With winter coming up, I was curious as to peoples practices when it comes to storing your boat for many months. With my diesel MH I store it full to reduce chance of water forming in walls of tank per manufacturers instructions. I wonder if this applies to gas tanks as well? I absolutely you marine sta-bil in my stored gas.
lovetheedge
Captain

Re: How much fuel in your gas tank when your is boat stored

Postby d4570 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:22 pm

Two stroke sportjet.
I fill my tank as full as the vent will let me and use sta-bal
d4570
Buoy Boy

Postby Idamainer » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:00 pm

I top it off and then put marine stable in it, if I park it for the winter.
1999, 21 ft Northwest Jet Signature Series, 7.4l fuel injected, Hamilton 212 pump
Former boat 2006 18ft Jetcraft Whitewater, 240 hp sportjet....a rocket on the water
Currently from Henderson, North Carolina running the waters of the Roanoke River.....previously from Star, Idaho
Idamainer
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Susitna907 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:28 pm

Idamainer wrote:I top it off and then put marine stable in it, if I park it for the winter.

^^^^ What he said... ^^^^ The more gas that's in it, the less room of condensation (moisture) to inhibit the gas. Add marine Stabil and top her off.
Susitna907
Deck Swab

Postby Music Man » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:38 am

lovetheedge wrote:With winter coming up, I was curious as to peoples practices when it comes to storing your boat for many months. With my diesel MH I store it full to reduce chance of water forming in walls of tank per manufacturers instructions. I wonder if this applies to gas tanks as well? I absolutely you marine sta-bil in my stored gas.

Diesel wont spoil like gas. Sta-Bil is for gasoline engines. Other than price I don't think there is any difference between regular and marine Sta-Bil. Keeping the tank full over winter will reduce the amount of water in gas or diesel. :Drink:
2008 24' HCM 8.1L "River Dog"
2018 12' MotoJet "River Pup"
Music Man
Forum Enthusiast

Postby steelheadfreak » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:56 am

The tip with adding stabil is to add it to the tank, then add fuel, then run your motor for as long as it takes to get the stabil/fuel mix into your fuel lines, injectors/carb.
steelheadfreak
Boat Enthusiast

Postby Sinktip » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:19 am

Had to laugh at this one. Back in my Harley riding days we used Stabil in a full tank. For my boat, winter is the time I use it most. It is summer when Stabil is needed.
2006 Lowe Roughneck 1655TN/D
Merc 90/65 jet
Sinktip
Deck Swab

Postby Hell Yes » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:52 pm

Sinktip wrote:Had to laugh at this one. Back in my Harley riding days we used Stabil in a full tank. For my boat, winter is the time I use it most. It is summer when Stabil is needed.

I use non ethonal and do not worry about it. Mine sits for 3-4 months in summer and several months in late winter.
Hell Yes
El Diablo

Postby Idamainer » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:25 pm

Or the alternative is to leave it with a nice guy in the Boise area who will run it every few weeks in the winter for you...problem solved!
1999, 21 ft Northwest Jet Signature Series, 7.4l fuel injected, Hamilton 212 pump
Former boat 2006 18ft Jetcraft Whitewater, 240 hp sportjet....a rocket on the water
Currently from Henderson, North Carolina running the waters of the Roanoke River.....previously from Star, Idaho
Idamainer
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Ak_Riverrat » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:33 pm

I don't worry about it either, whatever fuel is left in the boat is what stays in it for the winter. I also live where it gets damn cold and the air is dry so condensation is not exactly a worry for me. My concern would be if I waited till it got too cold, fill the boat and then come spring time when it warms up I have a mess of fuel on the ground. Plus they don't mix our fuel with ethanol either.

On a side note as part of my winterization I always drain the fuel water separator.
Ak_Riverrat
Deck Swab

Postby jetboatwanabe » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:37 pm

Idamainer wrote:Or the alternative is to leave it with a nice guy in the Boise area who will run it every few weeks in the winter for you...problem solved!

What He Said, the rocks always need a good polish in grave yard!!! :Drink1: :bash:
:chicken:
Rock Hauler and new jet boat owner YE HA 10 foot MOTO-JET
sold MOTO-JET and starting new build CJC marine MINI 12 foot, getting wet soon but still paddling for now!
jetboatwanabe
Master Baiter

Postby Hell Yes » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:28 pm

I do use seafoam every so often. Where the boat is stored is also a factor. Mine is in a non heated building..
Hell Yes
El Diablo

Postby Midwestjet » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:19 pm

Sea Foam 2.
Midwestjet
Deck Swab

Postby smitty » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:44 am

Towards the end of the season, I start using ethanol - free gas and adding Sea Foam.
student driver - stay clear

shooting my mouth off on meanchicken since 2013

making friends on the rivers since I was little
smitty
Captain

Return to River Jet Boating Board