Sponsor Directory

Uhmw install for average mechanic?

Discussion about Jetboats, rivers and related topics.

Uhmw install for average mechanic?

Postby zippymy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:52 pm

I am looking at a kinfisher falcon. How difficult would it be to install a uhmw skin on the btm. It has a belly tank down the middle in front of dog house. I think pull up the floors and scrap the foam and get after it. Just stay away from the fuel tank if there is no room under it. What are everybody's thoughts?
zippymy
Beer Boy

Re: Uhmw install for average mechanic?

Postby Susitna907 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:54 am

It'll be A LOT easier if you gut the boat and flip it over. It can be done from underneath, but it's a bitch..
Attachments
F8277F7B-30D9-463E-83F8-D01BBEB2E575.jpeg
Susitna907
Beer Boy

Postby zippymy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:04 pm

What do you doo with the lifting strikes. They won't be as tall as they were.
zippymy
Beer Boy

Postby BigCSS » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:34 pm

They will if you go to the top of them and then butt up to the outside, they remain the same height that way. I did it on my boat and it works well. Or you could do like AHusk and cut them off and then build steel ones that bolt on top of the uhmw. The people that just run the uhmw to each outside edge of the strakes effectively just removed their strakes.
Team White Water Winnebago
BigCSS
First Mate

Postby Kjw » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:09 pm

Alicraft in PG cork weld theirs on so udon have to drill
Kjw
Deck Swab

Postby Ahusk » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:20 pm

Lots of builders plug weld because it's easier and no holes. Outlaw/eagle, firefish, and I would guess Bratt still bolt theirs. That tells me all I need to know right there. And yes alot of people/companies neuter the lift strakes with Uhmw and then blame it on the plastic. It's not the plastic it's the lack of lift that makes the boats slow and tend to porpoise.

I think the way I did it is superior but I may be biased. I was able to use much fewer bolts because the strakes act like big clamps.

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=19102&p=157089&hilit=Uhmw#p157089

And to answer your original question installing UHMW is not rocket surgery. Just do some research and pack your patience.
Ahusk
Captain

Postby zippymy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:04 am

I wasn't thinking upside down but off the trailer and up on its side. I like the idea of the strikes holding the plastic on. What should I expect for performance loss? The boat is new to me so if I see it quick I won't know the difference!! Is all uhmw the same? Black or white?
zippymy
Beer Boy

Postby Susitna907 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:08 am

On my current build at Custom Weld (boat in above photo), I had them only do a 3' wide strip down the center from the bow planing surface to the transom. After the initial stitch up of the hull welds, they flip it and put the uhmw on at that point. It's one of the very first things that they do. The center area takes 95% of the strikes anyways, so I didn't feel the need to go full width. I had them do the same thing on my last build with them and it NEVER affected the strakes or their duties too perform as advertised. They plug/post weld and do not drill holes. It's kind of a pain to do it that way for the boat builders, but that's why they get paid the big bucks.
Susitna907
Beer Boy

Return to River Jet Boating Board